Author Topic: job title / career  (Read 1661 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
job title / career
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »
I have been in the same company for 9 years. Fresh out of University, I worked in 3 different companies, before I settled here with my first proper break if you will. 

My role is all things design. I built the company websites, to marketing literature (brochures, ezines, exhibition stands, high level presentations).  Recently I have trained in Salesforce CRM and have become certified from Salesforce. I manage the sales forecast pipeline, do reports, dashboards and improve the business processes.

I have had numerous pay rises over the years and I am happy with my income, but my job title is still "Web / Print Designer". This I feel is outdated and I think is needing a change to something a little more impressive / senior.

Has anyone had an issue like this, where you have you hands in many different roles but have a title that isn't all encompassing?

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
Re: job title / career
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
In my profession job titles are fairly set in stone even across companies.  They are manly based on experience both knowledge and years in the industry.

Is that similar to you?
Is your situation the same as other colleagues at your office?
Is there a specific title you want? Or is it something that really has no name yet?

If it is the former maybe gathering typical online job descriptions of the one you expect and discuss it with a superior.

If it is the latter, probably the same advise review online job descriptions and come up with it to pitch to your superior.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
To be honest I am not sure, I am just a little conscious / paranoid of having the same job title for 9 years, maybe doesn't look like much progression / gone stale to someone looking in on say Linkedin?

My responsibilities have increased quite a bit, along with income, but my title hasn't. I am a one man band essentially on the design front, we do have a small marketing team, one coordinator and one video editing and photographer in our small team, but the company has over 400 people.

The stuff I am doing on Salesforce is having an impact on the business as a whole, as it affects a lot of people, but its early days with that and I have only been working on it for about 1 year.

I need to think of a new title and potentially float the idea to my boss when I next get into a discussion around this sort of thing.  :/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:04:33 AM by Zola. »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
To be honest I am not sure, I am just a little conscious / paranoid of having the same job title for 9 years, maybe doesn't look like much progression / gone stale to someone looking in on say Linkedin?

My responsibilities have increased quite a bit, along with income, but my title hasn't. I am a one man band essentially on the design front, we do have a small marketing team, one coordinator and one video editing and photographer in our small team, but the company has over 400 people.

The stuff I am doing on Salesforce is having an impact on the business as a whole, as it affects a lot of people, but its early days with that and I have only been working on it for about 1 year.

I need to think of a new title and potentially float the idea to my boss when I next get into a discussion around this sort of thing.  :/

Depending on your company size/structure and your relationship with your boss, you may be able to get them to simply add "Director of" in front of your existing title.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:15:11 AM »
I doubt I would get a director title as he is a director