Author Topic: Job sharing- anyone tried it?  (Read 3332 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Job sharing- anyone tried it?
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
I half jokingly suggested to a coworker that we both elect to work half time and job share 5 years from now.  My company actually has a written policy that allows this, but of course with caveats that it must work for the job type and department, etc.  we work in accounting and I think my position would be great for it.  Her job is a little more SME and it wouldn't work as well.

Anyway, has anyone tried this?  How has it worked out?

azure975

• Stubble
Re: Job sharing- anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »
I'm extremely interested in this (and happen to be an accountant too! Unfortunately I don't live in the same area as you)! I'm happy with my current setup as it's very flexible, but for my next job I would look into either job-sharing, part-time or a job where I can work at home for a couple days a week.

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
I did it in a managerial administration role. I did three days and co-worker did two. It was hard work as we both had to be across what happened in meetings, and I would spend one of my days just answering e-mails. I made myself a rule that I WASN'T checking my e-mails from home as I wasn't getting paid for it, but my co-worker did.
Personally I think it would depend on the role. I wouldn't do it again in a managerial position, but for a job without managing staff I would.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
It's working out pretty well. My job-sharer is named Charinajarar, and he lives in New Delhi. I just have to teach him my job, and then we do it together. For some reason, he makes less than me, but I guess it all works out in the end!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
My mother did it for many years.  She was a nutritionist, in a social services setting.  Worked out great as she and her coworker could swap days as needed. She usually worked Monday, Wednesday, and every other Friday.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 07:47:56 PM »
Glad to hear people have had some success with this!  I've always thought I'd transition to part-time work in early retirement, and I suppose this is just another angle at part time work.  But working part time at the library for $8 an hour v. doing my accounting gig, with which I don't really have major issues, at $45 an hour sounds like the better thing to do...

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »
I would love to, but I'd like the month on, month off type. Imagine all the adventures I could go on during my off time. 50% of my salary would suit me nicely thank you. I'd even take it with no annual leave!

Now the tough part is finding that job!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:41:10 AM »
I would love to, but I'd like the month on, month off type. Imagine all the adventures I could go on during my off time. 50% of my salary would suit me nicely thank you. I'd even take it with no annual leave!

Now the tough part is finding that job!

Oh, I never even thought of this as a possibility!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!