Author Topic: Job opportunities for a stay at home mom  (Read 6475 times)

Missourians

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Job opportunities for a stay at home mom
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »
Hello! I am currently an elementary teacher. I have a one year old and we are expecting another in September. I would like to be a stay at home mom. I love my job, but want to be home with my own kids while they are little. I have a bachelor's  degree in elementary education. We need to replace approximately  $30,000 for me to be able to stay home. I am looking for job/career opportunities  that can be done from home. I appreciate all help. Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Job opportunities for a stay at home mom
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
I'd suggest you check out the many, many threads on side-gigs and such, but 30k (net, I'm assuming) from home is a larger scale than most of those.  Still probably worth looking at, to see if you can scale any of them up, but a lot of them simply won't scale.

Rather than looking for a career/job opportunity, have you thought about creating one for yourself?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
Congrats on the pregnancy.

Ideas:
Tutoring
Editing
In-home day care
Transcription
Translation
Technical writing

It really depends on your skills and inclinations. A lot of office billing can be done from home, etc, but most of those require a previous relationship with the company to find.

I can also point you to resources, like PennyHoader http://www.thepennyhoarder.com/ways-to-make-money-at-home/  But most of those are smaller amounts.

Please don't fall into the MLM (multi level marketing) trap. Speaking as someone in the age group where a lot of people are doing this: it is annoying, people will lose respect for you, and it doesn't work out for most people anyway.

Have you looked critically at your expenses though? Part of the power of a stay at home spouse/parent is to reduce other costs. Not just day care, but so many things. Don't limit yourself to gender stereotypes either- car repair, lawn care, gardening, canning, cooking, sweat equity if you own your home, etc etc. There are so many things you can do to add value that don't give you a W-2.

I highly recommend posting a case study so all the clever folks around here can help you look critically at your spending. You probably don't "need" $30k to stay at home! There is a sticky, "how to write a case study" that will help. Best of luck!

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Congrats! As you look for opportunities dont forget that itis going to be extremely difficult to perform certain roles as a sahm because taking care of two kids is tons of work. I would steer clear of anything that requires set hours unless it is something that can easily be managed around the never ending needs of two little ones. In home care of a third child may be a good option if you don't mind being run ragged. Chances are as long as the third kid is well taken care of and safe the parents will be thrilled with your performance...unlike a boss or someone who demands a specific type of productivity in a given day.

I also second looking at your expenses and cutting there first...it is easier to do without some things than find a bunch of time in between diaper changes and feedings!

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:20:34 AM »
Look into K12. I have friends who do it as stay-at-home parents.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »
https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/job/1

I've been doing this for three years and it ranges between fascinating and mind-numbing, but it always pays.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
Have you looked critically at your expenses though? Part of the power of a stay at home spouse/parent is to reduce other costs. Not just day care, but so many things. Don't limit yourself to gender stereotypes either- car repair, lawn care, gardening, canning, cooking, sweat equity if you own your home, etc etc. There are so many things you can do to add value that don't give you a W-2.

^^ This.

I assume you mention $30k is because you're making $30k, not a detailed set of calculations based on what you won't be doing (if wrong, sorry... that's usually what people start out assuming).

My wife is a stay at home mom with our 11 month old, and we'd been planning on this for a while, but she's a huge contributor to the family budget, mostly because she's better at not spending money than I am.  By a LOT.

Your car use should drop a lot if you're no longer commuting, especially if you can walk to some stores.  Make sure you call your insurance to let them know it's no longer a daily commuter - that can make a big difference in insurance costs!

It sounds like you're using some sort of daycare now?  That goes away entirely, cost-wise.

I'm not sure what your family eats, but my wife has been cooking pretty much everything from scratch, often in bulk, and she spends less to feed both of us and the kiddo than I spent to feed myself post-grad-school, and we eat a lot better.  Soups, stews, and stir fry are amazingly cheap, incredibly tasty, and don't require much time from her.  If you're doing this, get a good set of knives - it makes a huge difference.

Cloth diapers save a good bit, but require doing laundry regularly - not a problem with a parent staying at home!  With two kids, it's going to be well worth the hassle.

Don't look at it from the "How can I bring in money?" point of view - look at it from the other side.  "How can I help reduce our expenses so we don't need the extra money?"

TBH, depending on what your husband does, you working may be about a wash.  Between taxes, commuting, and childcare, I think we'd be behind financially if my wife went back to work (trained as a teacher, was working as a secretary, bringing home about $30k).  And you'd have to pay for *two* kids in childcare.

If you're willing to share more details, I suspect people could offer some more concrete suggestions.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find an at-home job that will net 30K that you can do while taking care of two little ones. I edit on the side with three kids, but I really can't do it with my toddler around. I pay for part-time childcare, and if I really work at it, I can make about twice what I pay for the child care. But even then, I would have to edit a lot to make 30K a year. Freelance (unless you have a certain niche or enter consulting after a lucrative professional career) tends to pay less than salaried work. I know I'm underpaid, but the trade off is that I can turn down whatever work I want and my work is extremely flexible. Thus, I accept the lower pay. But for me to make anything close to a wage that could support us or pay our expenses, I would run myself ragged.

What does your husband make? What are your expenses?

Missourians

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their responses. They have been helpful. We are looking to try to replace as much as my income as possible, so we are able to continue saving for retirement, paying off house, etc. i have a lot of research to look into and this has given me a great place to start.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »
Working from home is a great option to keep your work experience progressing while you're raising little ones, but earning $30k a year is very difficult if you aren't able to work full-time. Some good options with your teaching background include freelance writing and tutoring, which can be done online. You would need some dedicated quiet time for either of those options. I'm currently doing both and could give you advice and referrals to help get you started. PM me if you're interested.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
Unless you have very marketable skills for something where you can stay at home, I'd suggest daycare. As in, watching other peoples' kids while you're at home. With a handful of kids you could hit your 30k mark relatively easily. Make sure to look into local laws and such.

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Sailorgirl-  If you don't mind me asking, what is the approximate time commitment and pay for the Leapforce gig? I tried checking the site but couldn't get much info.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
Sailorgirl-  If you don't mind me asking, what is the approximate time commitment and pay for the Leapforce gig? I tried checking the site but couldn't get much info.

Big NDA but if you google long enough you'll find that the companies that contract this with the big search engine companies pay between $13 and $15 to start.  Work minimum is about 10 hours a week.  LF has a max of 40 hours a week and others are 20 a week.  LF offers a six month contract which is usually renewed without issue for years.  Others are a year usually.  One has a one year contract with no renewal.  The majority of LF work now requires an Android phone and you'll get a lot less work if you don't have one.

No phone calls, no schedule, many watch tv while they work (once up to speed).  Can work any time of day (if there is work available) and put in 5 minutes or 20 hours in a row if you want.

NeverLost

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
Thanks!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
I also did Leapforce for a few years! I was a Preferred Rater (I think I'm allowed to say that). I found that the work ranged from truly mind-numbingly dull to actually pretty interesting. I really liked that you could just log off if, for instance, baby woke up from his nap.

If you have a more entrepreneurial spirit, you might like the book Money Making Mom--I've heard good things but have't read it personally.

WDR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »
Missouri Virtual Teaching may be option...still may need some daycare.  I have a friend that does cyber teaching (not through this) and they teach fewer lessons, but it's more grading (which could be done when the kids are sleeping). 

http://movip.org/employment/