Author Topic: Job Offer Review: Do I take it? Should I move closer?  (Read 1552 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
Job Offer Review: Do I take it? Should I move closer?
« on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:37 AM »
YESSS!!!

After 4 interviews, and countering the offer twice... I finally have agreed to terms.  I work in finance with 5 years experience (masters in finance as well).

Current company (national defense)
Sal: $67k; 5% 401k match ($70,350 gross)
Handcuffs:  I'll have to pay back $12,500 in tuition, and  lose $5k in my 401k (ouch)
Cost of Healthcare:$1,285

New company (FinTech)
Sal: $85k; 15% bonus paid quarterly  ($97,750 gross)
Cost of Healthcare: Free

My current job is extremely boring/slow.  The new one sounds fast due to extreme growth.  I love what the company is doing... I'm a little worried about this 15% bonus, but HR assured me everyone usually get this...

What would you do?

If I do take the job (which honestly I'm leaning heavily towards), do I move?

Current apartment: 21 minute commute (19.7 miles), I pay ~600 a month (I live alone, this is below market rent.  I don't know why he's renting it out for so low)

Potential new apartment: 7 minute commute (2.2 miles), I'd pay ~550 a month (assuming I get 1 roommate).

Any feedback is GREATLY appreicated!  Bahhh I'm so excited!!!!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Job Offer Review: Do I take it? Should I move closer?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Hey congratulations! That's a big salary bump! The new company clearly saw what a smart, capable candidate you are.

Regarding the housing situation, is the 21 mile commute in horrible, horrible traffic? Would the proposed commute be doable by bike or walking? In any case, I'd recommend getting started in the new job, becoming acclimated and then make a housing switch. Not sure what part of the country you're in, but $600 is a mighty cheap rent.

Best of luck!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
Congrats on the new job!

Re apartment, I'd weigh the question of whether I like privacy enough to drive 30 minutes per day to get it (I assume the commute numbers are one direction only). I'd add $150 or whatever the right number is for the marginal cost of driving, including estimated extra maintenance as well as gas. I'd consider the chance that the roommate doesn't pay.

I think I'd lean slightly toward the cheap privacy you have now, but your opinion on the personal factors should predominate. Good news either way.

leavesofgrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »
Congrats on the offer!

I'm also in Finance. I'd call my job boring, but in the best way possible. After having worked in both public accounting and at a couple hectic, inefficient corporate accounting jobs, I thank my lucky stars every day that my current company provides an excellent work-life balance that's relatively stress-free.

I hope this new job is a great fit. A company that's fast-paced due to extreme growth sounds like it could be very stressful.  If it were me, I'd want to make sure I'm not consistently working overtime. But maybe you are OK with OT and excited for this type of corporate energy. Are there any Glassdoor reviews? I'd want to get feedback from current and former employees on what it's like working there.

Your salary bump will be nice. Even if this job doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll learn a lot, and it will help you get a higher salary at your next job.

I would hold off on the move until you are settled into the new job. A 21 minute commute sounds easy enough for a few months (or forever) :).

Even paying $1,100 isn't terrible on $85k base salary. Personally, I wouldn't want a roommate.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »
Congrats on the new job!

Re apartment, I'd weigh the question of whether I like privacy enough to drive 30 minutes per day to get it (I assume the commute numbers are one direction only). I'd add $150 or whatever the right number is for the marginal cost of driving, including estimated extra maintenance as well as gas. I'd consider the chance that the roommate doesn't pay.

I think I'd lean slightly toward the cheap privacy you have now, but your opinion on the personal factors should predominate. Good news either way.

Nicely done on the $150.  I literally nerded out trying to calculate the cost of gas/tires/oil/depreciation/time driving, paying myself $15 an hour)... and I got to just shy of $150.

I hope this new job is a great fit. A company that's fast-paced due to extreme growth sounds like it could be very stressful.  If it were me, I'd want to make sure I'm not consistently working overtime. But maybe you are OK with OT and excited for this type of corporate energy. Are there any Glassdoor reviews? I'd want to get feedback from current and former employees on what it's like working there.

I've read a bunch of glassdoor reviews (although majority of employees are engineers), most do not work overtime.  I had a chance to be interviewed by a potential coworker, and asked about worktime balance.  He hinted there were some weeks (I'm thinking one week per month/quarter) that there is OT.  I'm expecting it though.  I'm ready to work hard.

I think worst case scenario I'll work my ass off here for a year or two then bounce.  As a 28 single person... I can afford to take this risk.

Thanks all!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!