Author Topic: Job offer halp  (Read 2889 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Job offer halp
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
Cross-posted this to my journal, but I thought it would reach more people here.

So, a few weeks ago I had an interview for a Grant Coordinator position. The day after the interview they e-mailed to offer me the job. I want/wanted the job, so I agreed. I met with the head honcho of the school and he approved me for hire as the final step.

Today they e-mailed me with a suggested start date of November 28. I don't have a problem with that, but we haven't talked about any of the other details. Like salary. Is this normal?

What I'm afraid will happen is that I'll accept the Nov. 28 start date, put in my two weeks, then feel pressure to accept a low-ball salary offer. I'm also kinda afraid they'll rescind the offer. (That's the insecurity talking, I don't think they had that many applicants.)

I haven't e-mailed them back yet. Any advice?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Job offer halp
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
Every time I've been offered a job, the full compensation details are included in the offer letter.

You should definitely have a compensation discussion before you accept the offer, and before you give you notice at your current job. (Otherwise, how would you know you wanted the job?)

Good luck!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »
It sounds to me like you don't actually have an offer. No salary, no offer.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Do not even think of putting in your notice until you have everything negotiated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »
Do not even think of putting in your notice until you have everything negotiated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ THIS

If the salary negotiation falls through or someone backs out for whatever reason, you need to be able to keep on keeping on with your current job.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
Mustachians know what's up. This is why I look to y'all for answers to life's curve balls.

Tomorrow, I'm going to e-mail them this:

Dear Potential New Employer,

Once we've discussed the other details of the position, such as salary, I'll be happy to discuss my start date with you. I look forward to our phone discussion next week.

Thank you,
Warlord

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:13 PM »
sounds good. Good Luck!