Author Topic: Job interview tonight, need help with negotiating pay/benefits  (Read 2164 times)

hhihe730

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Job interview tonight, need help with negotiating pay/benefits
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
I currently have a full time job and am making $65,000 base salary plus commission. I am single, no kids, and have some debt that I'm working very hard to pay off. At my current rate all of my debt will be paid off in about a year. Financially I feel pretty stable. However, I hate the area I live in, plus my current boss is looking to retire in the next ten years. I'm only 30 so that means starting over at 40 looking for another job if I stick this one out. No thank you.

I have a phone interview tonight and it's for a job that seems like it will be the perfect fit for me, plus a nice area I've been wanting to move to. However the position is only part time. That's ok with me as long as it's not a couple of days a week, but I'm not sure how to approach the pay situation. What would be a good way to ask for more hours or what is an acceptable salary? I expect them to discuss pay tonight but I have no idea if I should negotiate for more pay or more hours in this situation. Hope this makes sense... I just feel like the owner is not dead set on part time, maybe up for negotiations??

I really want this job, but there's no way I can justify taking a huge pay cut. So the money is very important for me if we can agree on it. Thanks for the advice. :)

taking fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Job interview tonight, need help with negotiating pay/benefits
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
I would ask and get some clarification on work hours first. Just ask them to be clear with you on why they want you for the position at part time. I'm sure they know you are coming from a full time position (or do they?). Their answer on the hours will let you know before hand if their is wiggle room, because you will either need compensation to make up the difference of what you are making now (with less hours) or more hours. If the hours are not guaranteed, I'd focus on compensation.

Let them bring up the subject and make their offer first. You never know, but they may come in with a salary higher than what you are making now, but with part time. Not likely, but you will most likely lose if you put out your compensation expectations first. Think if they had planned to offer you $70k, and you come in at "needing" $65k first. Then they may say "sure, $65k is fine," and you just lost out on a possible $5k. Keep emotions out of it. You can always counteroffer, but that doesn't mean they will accept. All you can do is try. Whatever you do, if they go the direction of starting you out at a certain salary, and then raising you up later, be sure that you get it in writing on exactly what time frame that will be. If they are not willing to do this, I'd walk. If they are, expect them to have some stipulations, such as whether or not your performance meets their expectations, your attendance is good within that amount of time, etc.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
Ask them to give you a range and you will tell them if you fall within that range. Don't accept the first offer you get, unless you really NEED/WANT the job.

By not telling them what my salary expectations were, I got a raise from 110-115K a year to 150K a year. I could have not accepted that and asked for more, but I didn't want to get greedy since it was a substantial bump for me. YMMV.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Wait what? Anything could happen in the next ten years. Sounds like you have plenty of time to find a full time job somewhere you want to be.