Author Topic: Job Dilemma  (Read 2247 times)

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
Job Dilemma
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
I'm a 4th year attorney in a niche field.  I currently work in a small firm but I generally like it and find my boss tolerable and he likes my work.  I've been here for under 2-years.  I was contacted by a recruiter and went to interview for a mid-size firm.  I wasn't looking to lateral but I was convinced to talk with the firm by the recruiter who has never previously placed me but has given me good advice in the past (i.e. told me not to lateral at the time because my situation was good and what he was placing wasn't what he thought was best for me).  Nothing has changed in my current situation (I got the expected raises but nothing big changed) but he said this new firm was the one he thought was right for me.  It's an established midlaw firm that has a large part of its practice in my niche field.  I met with a few of the partners and had a very positive impression of them.  I received an offer.  It's 20% more than I currently make and its a little closer to my house (commute will go from 1 hour to 45 min).  The billable hour requirement is a little higher but its good billable requirement in terms of work/life balance for attorneys.

Dilemma is that I'm in a good spot now but I think this new opportunity is better for my career.  I think the biggest thing holding me back is that I don't want to put my current boss in a bad spot staffing wise as we are a small firm and the only other associate has their last day this week.

Is there any reason why I should stay where I'm at out of loyalty?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Job Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:07:21 PM »
No. It's business. Leave on good terms, wrap up what you can and leave good notes for whomever picks up the rest. Push comes to shove, the firm won't hesitate to cut your benefits/increase billable targets.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
No. Good luck with the new job!

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
Nope. If it was better for the firm you are working for you would be out on your ass tomorrow.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
This can be a challenge.  Likely the answer is no you should not stay out of loyalty.  It is unlikely any company would go out of their way to help you in any significant way.  You agreed to work for the firm for a set number of hours per week.  For that they pay you.  That's the gig at any job.  Give them proper notice, maybe offer to help on the side (for payment obviously) if they will be short staffed.  Only offer that if you want to spend the time.  If it will ruing quality of life, pass on that.

I'm going to be down 50% in one of my departments as I just had someone resign.  Same type of thing.  New place offered him 25% more, he can work from home and he does not really like our management's shifting priorities.  He's a great worker and I would be willing to see if we can keep him but after a good long talk it was clear he was set on going.  I do not hold any ill will against him even though it will make things here tough until we find a replacement and people doing what he does are scarce here (kind of like a niche field for you) so it is similar.  A mature boss and firm will get you need to do what is best for you, just as they will do from a company perspective.  Feeling a bit guilty about it shows you're likely a decent human being.  Be happy with that but do not stay out of guilt.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
The biggest reason you shouldn't leave has nothing to do with loyalty, and has everything to do with your current situation being a good one.
 If you got paid the same at both places, where would you rather be?

Also, there's a huge difference between the billing requirement and what associates actually bill.  Do you have any knowledge about this?

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
I don't know law, but I wouldn't necessarily trust a recruiter much. They've got to get clients, and sometimes that means telling you "don't take this job right now" to earn your trust. Also sometimes that really means "I think I can get a better commission out of a different opportunity for this person so best to wait for now."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
I wouldn't put too much stock in what the recruiter says, but based on what you've said here about liking the partners you met, liking the practice area, 20% raise, better commute, etc., I would probably take the offer.  My only hesitation would be, have you had the chance to talk with other associates at the new firm to hear what they really think about working there?  Be sure to give your current employer two weeks' notice (or more, if you're feeling generous), and part on good terms.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
Since you're happy at your current firm and your boss, I would take the offer to them to see if they could beat it. If not, leave.