Author Topic: Job Choices  (Read 3032 times)

Patrick A

• Stubble
Job Choices
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
Hello all,

I'm in the midst of an interesting work situation and thought this would be a constructive place to use as a sounding board while I kick things around in my head. 

I work in the power industry as an engineer/consultant, for a ~25 person consulting firm.  I love what I do and am good enough at it that I should be able to keep myself busy no matter what happens with the firm, but I often have the problem of having too much work (especially lately) and sometimes find myself working too much even though I try hard not to.  I am also slightly worried about the future of the firm since there are some organizational hurdles that will need to be cleared in the next 2-3 years to remain successful.  I am thrilled by the high pace and high mental requirements of my job.  It certainly allows me to push my mental capacity on a daily basis, but the counterpoint is that the rest of my life sometimes isn't as full or is far busier due to the effort I put into it. 

My wife and I have decided that we love the small/medium size town we live in (~50,000 people) and do not want to leave since it provides us with an awesomely mustachian super high quality lifestyle.  In the past, job offers have been easy to politely turn down because they would require us to move. 

I am currently being recruited by a local utility to work as an engineer for them.  The job description reads like a list of my interests and the pay would be equivalent or slightly higher than my base pay now (but no bonuses at a utility).  Working for a utility likely means a slower pace, good for my marriage and social life and hobbies, but I am afraid I won't love it as much because of the slower pace and the fact that I may get bored.  It would also be rock solid in terms of job stability. 

Now that I have multiple good opportunities in my hometown I feel obligated to vet everything and make sure I am making the best decision for myself.  My wife has a good job here too, and both of us can easily find new jobs at the drop of a hat if we desire to leave our current town -- but finding a job in town at the drop of a hat is trickier due to the smaller size of the town.  What's the best way to go about making a decision? 

Private consultant VS. public?
higher earnings potential, some potential instability VS. good earnings and rock solid stability
Choose my own hours (finish the work)  VS.  Set hours
Answer to no-one but clients VS. set structure and hierarchy

Edit:  One last item.  Our FI date will be in 2022-2023 most likely, but we currently desire to continue working both on a half-time basis thereafter.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:46:19 PM by Nubs »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: Job Choices
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
Unless the overworking is really, really problematic, I think I would stay put. I've changed jobs enough to know that you only learn the (true) negatives of a new job once you start there. And there will be negatives. Maybe unexpected ones. Maybe emotionally charged office politics or weird manager policies or an arrogant manager (or many other things relating to your direct supervisor.) So unless there's a really compelling reason to switch, I don't think I would do it. Hold on to enjoyable jobs, especially when you're able to use and grow your skills and get into flow.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
Thanks for the input.  The overworking has never been a huge huge issue as of yet, I'll just have to work to make sure it stays that way. 

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
You say the pay would be fairly comparable, but what about the benefits? I could see the retirement, health, and vacation benefits being way better at the public utility but maybe not. In particular, perhaps a bonus 457(b) plan, maybe?? This is a FIRE forum after all, so I think those items definitely need to be considered as they will have a huge impact on your FIRE date.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
I believe vacation time would be approximately the same as I currently have, both being very good.  At the consulting firm I have huge flexibility and usually end up working on planes or at home as I desire so as to preserve vacation time when it suits me.  At the utility I assume that this would not be a possibility.

health benefits also probably comparable as my current employer pays for everything, good insurance of all sorts for me and family.

Not 100% sure on retirement benefits, but it is something I have thought of.  The utility would certainly win out but I'm not sure by how much, I'll figure out more soon.  As soon as I can boil it down to a number difference I can report back.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
If you are being recruited away from your current job, I would let the prospective employer know that it would need to be worth your while in terms of compensation to leave and see where that goes.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »
From the engineers I know it seems like being bored isn't worth it.