Author Topic: jlcollinsnh.com and uraniumC - What?  (Read 12387 times)

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
jlcollinsnh.com and uraniumC - What?
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
I've been reading this blog for a little while after hearing it mentioned many times on this site. I've learned a lot especially from the stock series and a really like reading this blog.  I was wandering there and clicked on the UraniumC tab. What? Is this a joke? How is this actually on a personal finance website. It really makes me question his wisdom. Hate to say it because I really like his advice. Somebody please explain.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: jlcollinsnh.com and uraniumC - What?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
I cannot comment on UraniumC.

I highly recommend his stock series to everyone I can.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ZMonet

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
I don't think UraniumC diminishes JLCOLLINSNH opinion/advice  -- which I find to be some of the best thought out financial advice on the Internet,  at all.   I think his writing/actions on the subject is consistent with who he is.  A friend of his, who he says "he owes", comes to him and tells him this story and asks for him to publish it.  Being the loyal person he is, he posts in a small section on his blog.  He expresses his apprehension and concerns...If his financial blog became one big UFO conspiracy website, then maybe I'd be troubled but I'm not sure how UraniumC is inconsistent with the rest of jlcollinsnh posts.

Why does it make you question his wisdom?

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
I guess that's a good question. It is just so out there. I did read what he wrote. I understand wanting to help a friend out, but it is a personal finance blog. If someone is reading your blog and listening and following your advice. You have to question something like this on that kind of a website. I'm not saying he's crazy or buys into this story, but I question his judgement in putting it on there and leaving it there when he himself is questioning it. I've read his stock series. I really like it. It taught me a lot. I do like his site. It's just a little shocking to me. I guess I'm the kind of person that does questions everything. I've never followed blindly.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
I never saw that before... but I've yet to find someone online or off who's right about everything they claim to know. The few things someone is wrong about does not falsify all the things they are right about.

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »
I never saw that before... but I've yet to find someone online or off who's right about everything they claim to know. The few things someone is wrong about does not falsify all the things they are right about.

That's fair. I do believe your right.  I'm not saying he isn't legitimate. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I've always hated the twilight zone. It makes me uncomfortable I guess to see this on his site.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
As has been said, it is a PERSONAL finance blog.  His to post as he sees fit.  Take what works.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
If nothing else it falls into other interests; its his blog and he's entitled to write anything he wants.  The idea that a blog has to be one dimensional is very limiting, the whole point of finance is to get to a point you can stop caring about finances (IMO). I think all the blogs should have sidelines, it's nice when personality gets to be present.

I enjoyed it and wish he would continue with more posts.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he originally thought it was just going to be friends and family reading.

The UC stuff reads like a work of fiction. I'm pretty sure that's what it is - a fiction/creative writing experiment.

stevesteve

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
One of my greatest fears is that I'll hit FIRE and this will happen to me too :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
I guess I'm the kind of person that does questions everything. I've never followed blindly.

Good.  That's what you should do.  So question his advice on what's relevant to you - the stock stuff.

Research it.  See if the advice holds water.  (IMO, yes.)

If it makes sense for you, great.  If not, great.  Whatever else is there shouldn't be relevant, at all.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
If nothing else it falls into other interests; its his blog and he's entitled to write anything he wants.  The idea that a blog has to be one dimensional is very limiting, the whole point of finance is to get to a point you can stop caring about finances (IMO). I think all the blogs should have sidelines, it's nice when personality gets to be present.

I enjoyed it and wish he would continue with more posts.

+1

I use my blog to talk about whatever I want to talk about. Theoretically, it's also a PF blog. That doesn't mean I don't cover a handful of other topics. Granted, they are interwoven and related with personal finance, but so is everything that has to do with life.

He made a promise, and he kept it. I saw that post as some proof of jlcollinsnh's integrity and left it at that.

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Thank you for all the responses. I'm sure he would be happy to know he has so many defenders. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
Thank you for all the responses. I'm sure he would be happy to know he has so many defenders. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

That's fine to feel that way, but I'm not sure why you'd discount his other advice due to that.

If John Bogle started going on about how the moon landing was faked, and Warren Buffet became a 9/11 truther (and they weren't just going senile, but were as sharp in every other way as always), that wouldn't affect my opinion of their financial advice.

I'd research what they said (both the personal opinions and the financial opinions), agree or disagree with it, and move on. Their opinions on some unrelated topic isn't relevant to me when researching the financial opinions.  If I research their financial advice, and it makes sense and is backed by data, what do their personal views have to do with anything?

Dismissing something due to unrelated beliefs of the person who said it is intellectually lazy and a fallacy.

By all means, dismiss UraniumC, but only after careful consideration.  Likewise, consider carefully what he says about investing. Research it.  His opinions on the best flavor of cheese or ugliest car color have nothing to do with his opinions on investing.

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

That's fine to feel that way, but I'm not sure why you'd discount his other advice due to that.

If John Bogle started going on about how the moon landing was faked, and Warren Buffet became a 9/11 truther (and they weren't just going senile, but were as sharp in every other way as always), that wouldn't affect my opinion of their financial advice.

I'd research what they said (both the personal opinions and the financial opinions), agree or disagree with it, and move on. Their opinions on some unrelated topic isn't relevant to me when researching the financial opinions.  If I research their financial advice, and it makes sense and is backed by data, what do their personal views have to do with anything?

Dismissing something due to unrelated beliefs of the person who said it is intellectually lazy and a fallacy.

By all means, dismiss UraniumC, but only after careful consideration.  Likewise, consider carefully what he says about investing. Research it.  His opinions on the best flavor of cheese or ugliest car color have nothing to do with his opinions on investing.

My reasons for questioning? If I was taking the advice of an investment advisor, and I realize this isn't the same thing. If that person gave me financial advice, and then started talking about alien invasions etc. I would question his advice. Yes, this is an unrelated topic to his investment advice. This is still a blog people are reading for investment advice. It may be his personal blog, and he may be able to write anything he wants but how wise is that. I'm don't know that I'm necessarily questioning his advice on stocks etc. Like I said I liked his stock series and learned alot. I'm am definitely questioning his wisdom on putting that on his blog. Once I start questioning one thing I know about someone I'll question other things. You can call it anything you want. I don't think I'm intellectually lazy, but you at least are entitled to an opinion even if others are not.

Read your own quote at the bottom of your page. Does every opinion have to be yours? Are the silent voices the ones who don't share your opinion?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
I've been reading this blog for a little while after hearing it mentioned many times on this site. I've learned a lot especially from the stock series and a really like reading this blog.  I was wandering there and clicked on the UraniumC tab. What? Is this a joke? How is this actually on a personal finance website. It really makes me question his wisdom. Hate to say it because I really like his advice. Somebody please explain.
There are hundreds of thousands of personal finance blogs on the Internet.  I'm almost positive that you'll find one which measures up to your standards of wisdom.

I've spent an afternoon with Jim Collins touring the Arch in St. Louis.  Good guy, and he seems smart too.  He also has a sense of humor.

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Thank you again for your opinion. Which is what I was looking for.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »
Read your own quote at the bottom of your page. Does every opinion have to be yours? Are the silent voices the ones who don't share your opinion?

Thanks for the laugh.

I hope you reach whatever conclusion you're looking for.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
This reminds me of something I read in the biography A Beautiful Mind.  John Nash (who suffered from schizophrenia) was asked how a man of his intellectual rigor could believe space aliens were trying to communicate with him through a code in the newspaper.  He said that the idea came to him the same way his mathematical ideas came to him.

It is tempting to think that human brains should be consistent and that someone who is right about one thing should be right about other things, but I don't think it's the case.  Nonetheless, I am more alert and suspicious about everything a person says if I see faulty reasoning in one area.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
I just chalk it up to jlcollins trying his hand at a little fiction writing. No harm no foul.

jp

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:33 AM »
I just chalk it up to jlcollins trying his hand at a little fiction writing. No harm no foul.

I thought this was obvious. 

Oh my God, it is a piece of fiction people. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
I thought this was obvious. 
Oh my God, it is a piece of fiction people.
I think the aliens are making you say that!

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »
This reminds me of a debate over on Boing Boing where Richard Dawkins wrote a post where he supported the job termination of an otherwise respected astronomer who said he “sympathized” (whatever that means) with those who believed in a Young Earth Theory.  There was no evidence that his work was anything less than excellent and held up to peer review, but Dawkins insisted this showed a base fundamental flaw in his thinking that was bound to affect his work in some way.  Detractors argued that this didn’t necessarily have to be the case, that people can be right about some things and wrong about others all the time without one affecting the other, and that termination was a harsh if not dangerous precedent to set.

It’s an interesting debate, though I find myself siding with the detractors more than Dawkins in this case.

http://boingboing.net/2011/01/24/should-employers-be.html
http://boingboing.net/2011/02/01/further-reflections.html

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Go read some Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Hell, read it all.

sloth bear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 11:30:23 AM »
PajamaMama, why don't you just ask jlcollins about it directly?

I'm pretty sure he responds to every comment on his blog.

http://jlcollinsnh.com/ask-jlcollinsnh/

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
I got a good laugh at it, Jim is one of my favorite bloggers. He takes time out of his retirement to inform us all about stocks, house buying, etc. and I'm VERY greatful for that. Without his guiding force I would still be in actively managed funds. Although maybe without his stock series, MMM would of been forced to take time out of his schedule to either find something similar to recommend us to or write one himself, I don't think it would of been quite as good though.