Author Topic: IT / Software Consultants: What's your hourly rate?  (Read 4219 times)

Explosion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
IT / Software Consultants: What's your hourly rate?
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
Also please include
1. Years of experience
2. Typical length of contract
3. Tech stack

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: IT / Software Consultants: What's your hourly rate?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
Right now, they bill me at $82 / hour.  I believe that is scheduled to go up to $84 in July, although everything is always up for negotiation.

1.  10 years experience
2.  Officially, our contract renews every fiscal year (and the customer can fire us at any time, so no guarantees), but have been working with the same customers for 8 years running now.
3.  The stack has gone through one major shift - when I started, we were an IBM shop, so DB2 for database, COBOL batch and CICS onlines, and we actually coded the onlines and some batch in EGL, because in 1990 the powers that be thought that was a good idea.  We did a couple odds and ends in .NET / SQL Server as well.  Since they replaced the main system about 3 years ago, we are almost exclusively a .NET / Oracle operation.  Still have some SQL Server databases around for when someone wants really old data.  And a lot of work is done in one of our units with Access databases, but I have very little to do with that, and hope to keep it that way - mostly just get called in when the Access "expert" can't get something to run fast enough and so we'll give it a go in Oracle, or needs debugging help.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:31:53 PM »
I think the question is not what the cmpany bills you out at.. Rather, what do YOU get paid per hour.

Did I read that correctly?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:48:55 AM »
Posting to follow.

I was recently offered/hired into my first contracting type role by a staffing agency at $85 / hour (my pay rate, I don't know the bill rate):
1. 2-3 years experience, 5-8 years including school
2. 6 month contract, seems renewable as long as everyone is happy
3. Matlab, maybe some C++.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:41:50 AM »
I think the question is not what the cmpany bills you out at.. Rather, what do YOU get paid per hour.

Did I read that correctly?
The terms of my deal with my middle man are currently 99% (state gets a 1% discount for paying on time, which they always do) less $10 / hour.  1099.

Being aware of the bill rate is important to negotiations - ultimately that is what your contracting firm has to work with.  If you are signing on to an existing contract, where the rate is already set, hard to get more than the bill rate as your end.  Unless there are heavy penalties for not having the position filled in the contract - a few years ago one guy I know was paid like 10% more than bill on a short-term contract because the firm was losing so much in penalties by not having the position filled, and he was qualified and able to start immediately.  On a new deal, or renewal, your firm might be willing to go to bat and get you a higher rate so they can pay you more, and possibly make more money themselves.

Suggested addition to the list - location.  I suspect my $71.18 1099 in a relatively inexpensive part of Florida isn't effectively as much less as it might look like at first compared to CanuckExpat's $85 W2 in the Bay Area.    That does confirm for me that if I want to make substantially more money, a move is likely in order.  Although we like it here, so probably not going to do that.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
We are around 105-110 to client, I see 82 of it. I usually work a bit of overtime for around 2300-2500 billable hours.

6-7 years of .NET experience in MN metro.

I am W2 at a firm, so I don't have to pay double taxes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:12:29 AM by TheAnonOne »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:31 AM »
Explosion, you want to tell us yours?

1) 15 years of experience
2) 12 month contracts
3) currently python

$70/hr W2, part time

Java/JPA/Spring pays better; I was making $110/hr 1099, remote, with a bank on the coast fairly recently.

Explosion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in both what one is paid, as well as what the agency (if any) charges the client.

In my area (DC) it seems like the rates (1099/c2c) top out at around 100-120/hr unless you're super special or if the contract is under 6 months long.

Explosion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »

2) 12 month contracts
3) currently python

$70/hr W2, part time

Java/JPA/Spring pays better; I was making $110/hr 1099, remote, with a bank on the coast fairly recently.

I'm at 100/hr right now through an agency that probably takes $10-15 off the top. Looking to cut them out soon. 7 Years experience. 6 month contract -> probably will be extended. Tech stack is enterprise Java. Any totally remote job would be dream - you can work from Thailand :)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »

2) 12 month contracts
3) currently python

$70/hr W2, part time

I'm at 100/hr right now through an agency that probably takes $10-15 off the top. Looking to cut them out soon. 7 Years experience. 6 month contract -> probably will be extended. Tech stack is enterprise Java. Any totally remote job would be dream - you can work from Thailand :)

Explosion, if remote is dream for you, you might check into Art and Logic (artandlogic.com)...they're an all-remote software development firm.  By design, so to speak.