Author Topic: IT Jobs Network administrator to Manager/Director  (Read 5972 times)

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
IT Jobs Network administrator to Manager/Director
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
I am looking to go from a network administrator to a Manager/Director position. It seems that a lot of employers are asking for certs, my bachelors degree is not cutting it. What certs are worth getting for this position? Another factor is I am looking for this job in the Tampa, Fl area. I trying to speed up my FIRE date by making a larger base salary.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
Re: IT Jobs Network administrator to Manager/Director
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Interesting. I would think education would be a better credential than industry certifications for a management role.

Assuming you still want to focus on networking, I imagine you'd want the Cisco CCNP (professional) or CCIE (expert).

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
For what certs are the employers asking?

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
ITIL, PMP, Certified Information Systems Manager. I guess common sense and a degree does not get you much nowadays. It definitely seems to be an employer market

bobmarley9993

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
Just make sure you want to do the job.  Do you like people and politics? 

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
Yes, I don't mind that stuff.

apoclater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
I'm not sure the logical progression is network admin -> manager/director.  Seems like you're almost "skipping" a step.

At the companies I've worked for no one really goes from a network admin to a manager/director.  They might see you have people skills and put you in a tech lead, business analyst, or maybe a project manager role, and THEN you might move up to a manager position.  That's just my experience.  YMMV.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
ITIL, PMP, Certified Information Systems Manager. I guess common sense and a degree does not get you much nowadays. It definitely seems to be an employer market

IT is a constantly changing industry so having the latest certs is their way to distinguish different/updated skill sets.  And yes, it's an employer's market. They can afford to be choosy. 

What is your degree in?  If it's Computer Science it may not matter as much if they're looking for a manager.  They'll want you to have some experience in IT, but working at or even running a help desk is different than managing an entire IT department.  Depending on how high you're aiming they might be more interested in your organizational than technical skills.  In fact the certs you listed aren't even technical in nature.  They're all IT business management courses.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Are you trying to move into a management role at a new company or your existing one?  You might have an easier time moving into that position at your existing company, or if there's no room for that, switch to net admin at a company w/ upward potential.  Once you're 'in', then I imagine moving companies within the management level will be easier.  Companies mostly want certs for new hires because it's hard for them to know what the person knows.  If you're already working for them, they'll know if you're management potential.  I have nothing but a bachelors in accounting and am in a senior sys admin position and have turned down management offers from my boss (I have no desire to move into management).  Move up, then move out.  Or vice-versa, I wouldn't try to do both at the same time.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
Just my two cents - I am currently a CIO with only a high school education and no relevant certs.  I have a knack for my trade, but I also understand and work well with other people.  This has given me the ability to hire great people and to interact with key management employees and departments.  Those are essential skills for moving into management.  Also, many IT people are looked upon as immature or unprofessional by others in business, so if you can run counter to that then you will be considered for management.  PS - My last cert was MCSE in 1997.  I don't place much stock in them.  A good interview and pedigree mean a lot more to me.

cambridgecyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
  I have taken a path from network administrator to manager. Roughly, the transition is individual contributor -> technical or team lead -> manager. Technical certifications have little bearing on management roles. The key factors in successful management are soft skills, not technical skills.

If you want to become a manager look for additional responsibility, especially in projects that involve collaboration with other people or teams, or projects that require negotiating scarce resources (time, money, hardware). When manager-types see that you're able to work well with others, your name will come up in conversations when they're trying to fill leadership roles.

Be careful what you wish for. Effective management is hard. The more success you have with it, the less opportunity you'll have to solve the kind of complex technical issues that may have attracted you to the technology industry.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
  The more success you have with it, the less opportunity you'll have to solve the kind of complex technical issues that may have attracted you to the technology industry.

I couldn't agree more.  Be sure you are ready to walk away from your trade.  If it is truly what energizes you then there are also technical leadership positions to consider which aren't considered "management".

bobmarley9993

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 07:28:20 PM »
Yes, I don't mind that stuff.

Then go for it.  Some people really thrive on it.

I will admit that I am no expert as far as required certs but I hear PMP tossed around quite a bit.  My experience has been that to get promoted internally you don't need training credentials, you just need to be good at your job and show a little initiative.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:29:53 PM by bobmarley9993 »

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Thank you everybody for all different views

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
Getting your PMP is hard. You need to have something like 3500 hours of project management experience to get it.

ITIL is easy- you just take a training course and then the exam. At least, Foundations is easy. The intermediate level would get expensive fast, there are a ton of different ones.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Sounds like they are an ITIL certified organization. In Australia, most large companies are ITIL certified, and most IT organizations that do work for the government are required to be certified. To be ITIL certified an organization needs a number of processes and procedures to provide governance for the work being done an audit is done of these every (2?) years to retain certification. I thought it was the same in America. I have done most of these courses. I was about to do the CISM when I retired four years ago.

They are propriety courses that basically teach you IT governance - how to keep tabs on the work that is being done. Red Tape! From memory, you could do the courses is about 3 weeks. Each has an exam, which is marked and you are put on an international register. The courses are quite expensive.

So, if you want to work in a larger IT organization, it would probably pay you to do some of these courses. They should be readily available, as I think they are all at the introductory level - the one you will probably have the most difficulty sourcing would be the CISM.