Author Topic: It's back to school time!  (Read 2107 times)

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
It's back to school time!
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
I want to try and keep my son's back to school clothing budget under a $100 but my husband says its impossible. Any tips on how to save money on back to school clothes? What places can we shop to get quality clothes for good prices? Thanks!

Cyanne

• Stubble
Re: It's back to school time!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »
i suggest thrift stores in upper middle class areas. My son asked if we could go to Goodwill the other day and we walked out with two cashmere sweaters and a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes for $24. My son has very high standards for quality and he understands that I won't pay full retail for the type of items he wants so he is fine with gently used clothing. He has a reputation at his high school for being the best dressed on non uniform days!

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
But, but, but... The kids JUST got out of school 3 weeks ago!  Way too early for back to school time.

Sorry, I just hate being rushed out of now and into the next "reason to spend money" season.  Also, back to school spending, to me, is notebooks, folders, pens, pencils, etc.  I buy clothes when my kids need them, not because the ads tell me to.  Besides, I saw only swimsuits and summer clothes when I zipped thru a store the other day.  Fall and winter clothes were not in sight.  Maybe nearer to Labor Day?

jabber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:39 PM »
Depends what part of the country you live.  Some California schools start Wednesday.  Best sources for kids clothes:

Garage sales in neighborhoods that were developed 5 to 15 years ago.
As mentioned above, thrift stores in more young family areas of town or Military towns.
Costco
Grandparents (they achieve additional value of seeing their grand children dressed in clothes they picked out. )
Cousins

That's Mustachian, my friends.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!