Author Topic: ISO: Latin American Country w/ LCOL  (Read 2419 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
ISO: Latin American Country w/ LCOL
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
I've researched Costa Rica and Uruguay so far. They both seem open to permanent residents given one has income. Panama also seems open to this, but I've not yet looked at closely at this country.

Costa Rica seems to have higher real estate costs. A friend who lives in Uruguay told me it's possible to live on $7K/year. The websites geared toward Americans wanting to live abroad say $12K for Uruguay or $30-$36K for Costa Rica. I wonder if those numbers are inflated because the majority of retirees would be living a fat life.

I wonder what MMM-style cost would be?

What other countries should top my list for research? Any recommendations?

Spitfire

• Bristles
Re: ISO: Latin American Country w/ LCOL
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
Panama and Ecuador seem to top the lists of places to retire in that region.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
I visited Panama earlier this year and I did not find it to be very cheap.  There were some things that are cheaper than in the United States, but almost everything was comparable to a small US city in terms of cost.

There a lot of places, I think you need to narrow down your criteria a little bit more to get some more helpful suggestions.

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »
If you haven't checked it out already, https://www.theearthawaits.com may be useful to you!

EZcurrency

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 05:25:36 AM »
My first wife was from Uruguay and I've been there several times, albeit in the 1990s. Nice country, cool people, the vast majority live in Montevideo. Things obviously may have changed, but it was NOT a cheap city.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!