Author Topic: Is this part-time job worth it?  (Read 4743 times)

iamsoners

• Stubble
Is this part-time job worth it?
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »
So an opportunity has come up that would allow me to do part-time work in a field I'm very interested in but haven't worked in since 2004.  The timing is right--it would start 2-3 months after our new baby gets here and I'm looking to transition out of my current field and spend time raising baby and thinking about what I want to do next while bringing in some side income.

BUT, the job is 30 miles away, one way and it would take about 45 minutes to make the drive.  Our car gets just about 25 mpg so let's assume about $10 per shift goes to gas plus 1.5 hours of my life plus the hassle of finding of a sitter (which would probably be family--so free but still a hassle).  Pay is tbd but I'm guessing about $10 an hour.   I'm guessing shifts will be in the 4-6 hour range a few times a week.

Does this even make sense? Obviously I could make as much (or more) doing something closer to home but the point would be getting back into something I loved doing in the past and seeing if it's worth making a full-time career of.

Thoughts?

unplugged

• Stubble
Re: Is this part-time job worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Having connection problems, hope this did not go through twice.

-Will this job lead to bigger things down the road?
-Can you work 1-2 full time days instead to save on gas?

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
It doesn't sound like it's worth it to me... that is a crazy drive no matter how much you love the job.  For $10/hour, I think MMM would say it is ridiculous, particularly if your shifts are short.

Are there other options?  Can you volunteer doing something similar that is closer to home (hard to say without knowing the work involved), can you work from home doing this type of work?

Personally, I would look for a similar opportunity closer to home.  Perhaps talk to the new employer and see if they can do something to help you out somehow?  Maybe they have a connection/office closer to you?

Good luck!  Sorry for my totally blunt opinion.  :)

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
Can you volunteer doing something similar that is closer to home (hard to say without knowing the work involved), can you work from home doing this type of work?

Alas, it's an outdoor education type job so part of the point is to be in the woods... but there are some cool things going on with getting inner-city kids into nature more--I'll check to see if they have anything like that around here which would be much closer to where I live.

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Doesn't sound like it is worth it at all money wise, but if it makes you happy maybe you could consider it a 'hobby with benefits"??

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
Based on what you said, I say go for it.  It sounds fun to me, and potentially more fun than hassle overall.

but the point would be getting back into something I loved doing in the past and seeing if it's worth making a full-time career of.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like a hobby that pays for itself. 

Of course, you might feel differently once the baby's born.  I've heard sometimes new parents don't get as much sleep as they'd like...