Author Topic: Is this crazy? Where would you go?  (Read 2783 times)

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
Is this crazy? Where would you go?
« on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
Work has been awful today (I'm still here at 6pm and probably won't get out before 10... I should probably get off this forum), so I've been daydreaming. My husband was laid off recently and is working a seasonal construction job over the summer. It pays well enough that we should be able to finish off our student loans and have $15-20k in the bank by October. I had a real estate agent come and look at our house, and conservatively we could sell and net $10k.

So... with Alaska's economy tanking, it's incredibly tempting to move somewhere with dirt cheap cost of living and get some part-time jobs. We could use that $25k as transition money while we figured it out. I'm so tired of 60 hour weeks, coworkers not respecting my time, etc etc etc. I kind of just want to work at a bookstore for minimum wage and go home to my studio apartment.

I realize this is the burn out talking, but... is it really that crazy? If you were going to do it, where would you go? I need somewhere with some smart people, preferably with a community that isn't based around "the Church" (so, not the deep south). A town of under 100,000 would be amazing.

(And yes, if you find my journal, I did just post today about how I'm lucky to have a good job. I do. I know it. But even good jobs have hard days, and a little daydreaming never hurt anyone.)

Cyaphas

• Bristles
Re: Is this crazy? Where would you go?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
Bellingham, WA. A good college town. It's nestled between the puget sound and the mountains and the Canadian border is about 30 minutes away. A lot of stress free kind of people. On the cooler side of things similar to Anchorage.

La Crosse, WI. Good midwest feel with quite a few friendly people around and the Mississippi to play on. Also, really nice if you prefer seasons.

I keep eyeballing the Aberdeen/Westport, WA area. I could get in some surfing, mountain hiking and great fishing all in a day. I  don't know much about the locals though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:06:35 PM by Cyaphas »

hodor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Anywhere not too busy near the ocean with a beach is fine by me.

Maybe look at locations that interest you and see if you can set up a job from where you are that interests you, that way you don't move unless you have the work/financial side sorted. Also once you seriously have the option of moving you are likely you will discover if you really want to go or not.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
I love it how Bellingham always pops up in posts like this.  Meets a lot of the criteria but is far from "dirt cheap"...

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »

I keep eyeballing the Aberdeen/Westport, WA area. I could get in some surfing, mountain hiking and great fishing all in a day. I  don't know much about the locals though.

Spend a few hours in Aberdeen and you will see why Kurt got addicted to heroin and blew his own head off.   It is a truly awful place.

Re: cheap Bellingham.   It's not cheap compared to the Midwest, but to people coming from big hot markets with high paying jobs, it sure can seem like a deal.    I'd consider it, if I were looking to move.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
I'm actually from the Seattle area. I agree re: Aberdeen. I actually have part of my family that we refer to as "the Aberdeen crowd." They all have mullets and drug problems. That is not an exaggeration. One of them married her son's best friend while the son and the friend were in high school.

Bellingham is gorgeous! I have a sister who went to school there.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anywhere in the PNW that would be cheap enough for a serious lifestyle change (less than full-time work).