Author Topic: Is this computer worth it.  (Read 5142 times)

junglejim83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this computer worth it.
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
We have an Samsung Ativ 700t pro tablet, with windows 7 and an intel i5 and 128g SSD.  We don't know the admin password and the previous owner has some crap software that is ruining the functionality of it and we can't remove it w/out the admin access. 

Here is a link to its specs http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-pro-700t-11-6-core-i5-3317u-windows-8-64-bit-4-gb-ram-128-gb-ssd-series/

I tried finding a way to boot via USB and wipe the hard drive but all the research I have done points to this particular model needing to be, sent in to get the hard-drive re-imaged.  This will cost $58, plus to make it a fully function computer I would have to purchase a docking keyboard for another $50-$60 on ebay ($120 all in).  I am passed the DIY phase.  I don't have the time and already got a virus trying on my main machine trying. 

My wife needs a backup/more portable computer for her freelance work and this machine has the specs of a solid windows-based notebook. My wife has never liked the functionality of it but that might be b/c her old company (who won't pay for us to send it back) put the crap software on it and cheaped out with a bluetooth keyboard that won't link properly b/c it is made for an ipad.  For anyone familiar with this model, are the limitations of the machine worth the trouble?    Or would we be better served spending a few hundred dollars extra getting a solid used machine like a lenovo x1 carbon or yoga2 on ebay? However, this will cost $400-$500 for a machine with similar specs (however perhaps more functional)

We can't really sell it b/c we can't wipe the hard-drive and b/c even though her old employer won't pay for it to get shipped back, it is definitely a gray area as far as selling a machine that someone else controls, even if they don't want it back.  SO the alternative is yanking the hardrive and giving the shell away (I have managed to disassemble and reassemble it just fine, so that is an option).  Thoughts?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
Re: Is this computer worth it.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:41 AM »
Consider taking a look at the second hand stuff on newegg.com and similar sites. You can get some year-old reconditioned stuff for rock bottom prices. Much of it comes from corporate customers who buy in bulk and replace a section of their infrastructure every year. I paid about $150 for a fully functional business laptop two years ago, including licensed O/S. Still going strong.

To unload your current machine, consider posting your story on craigslist and offering it for sale for $50-150. There are guys who buy stuff like this and fix it up for resale.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
I've never been a fan of tablets with keyboards like that.  I vote to just get a small laptop.  We got my girlfriend a laptop with I think a new celeron processor, and installed extra ram and an SSD.  It's not super powerful or anything, but pretty snappy for basic microsoft office work and internet browsing.  ~$400 total (not including office).  If you're interested I can look up the model. 

junglejim83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
Ooeei, thanks for the link.  I unfortunately, it asks for the USB boot installation disk and so that's where it gets hung up b/c any hacked software I have read about doesn't seem to work.  that's where I started downloading viruses in an attempt to get this thing working yesterday.

I am leaning toward the used comp. route and all your thoughts confirm.  It doesn't need to be anything fancy.  If it weren't for the need for some comp based programs we would just use my original chromebook (which works great 3 years later).  I will take a look at newegg.  Upgrading hardware is much more my speed than dealing with software so I think that is the way to go.

Thanks for your input.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
Cant you just reset the bios, then pop out the hard drive, install windows or whatever on it, and then put the hard drive back in?

Other than that, go with a refurbished laptop.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »
What version of windows is it running?  I've had to reset/recover passwords a few times from computers where the owner had lost the password, so I might be able to help.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »
If it's a tool used to earn a living, it's worthwhile buying something properly fit for purpose, even if it costs a little extra.

mattytee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:49:40 AM »
Here is how to fix the existing machine:

1.Download and boot System Rescue CD from CD or USB stick. You'll probably need to use a USB keyboard to do this.

2. Use the NTPASS floppy image to reset the unknown Admin password. You basically just use the defaults.

https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_System_boot_floppy_disks#Offline_NT_Password_and_Registry_editor

junglejim83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:53 AM »
I would have to purchase the system recovery disk, i think about $25 if Samsung still has them. So I wouldn't have to send it in to reimage it.

Dean I am with you.  If this were her main machine, I would not even be bothering with it.  It is a backup.  However, Looking at used regular laptops on newegg with similar specs it seems like I would be in the $200 range --- any additional time spent on the samsung is worth more than that to me.  thanks for your help everyone.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
Just boot off of a Windows 7 image on a bootable USB drive.  Assuming Samsung has drivers on their site (which they should), there's no need to get a specific image from them directly.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »
Yup, any computer can be reformatted even without an admin password.  Just wipe the whole thing out and start fresh.  No need to get a new computer if the hardware is intact.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:28:26 AM »
Just boot off of a Windows 7 image on a bootable USB drive.  Assuming Samsung has drivers on their site (which they should), there's no need to get a specific image from them directly.

This should work or you could use something like dban on a bootable drive to wipe the driver and reinstall the OS.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Just one example of a new laptop which could suit your needs:
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-11-6-quad-core-notebook-54?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_wobtn

Lenovo ThinkPad 11E 11.6" Ultraportable Business Notebook, Intel N2940 Quad-Core, 128GB Solid State Drive, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10Pro
$199.99 $669.00 70% off List Price

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
Just one example of a new laptop which could suit your needs:
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-11-6-quad-core-notebook-54?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_wobtn

Lenovo ThinkPad 11E 11.6" Ultraportable Business Notebook, Intel N2940 Quad-Core, 128GB Solid State Drive, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10Pro
$199.99 $669.00 70% off List Price

An N2940 isn't remotely in the same league as an i5 (benchmarks), so depending on what they're using it for, it may not quite be gutsy enough.