Author Topic: Is this car mustachian enough?  (Read 3100 times)

mommymustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this car mustachian enough?
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
Looking to purchase a 2004 Ford Explorer. 64k miles, priced at $5200 but would obviously negotiate.

Is this worth pursuing?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Re: Is this car mustachian enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
Only if you really need such a vehicle. Usually an SUV isn't mustachian.

How does the fuel consumption compare to a minivan? (I'm assuming you've got 4+ kids, hence wanting an SUV-sized vehicle instead of a normal car)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:19:16 PM by alsoknownasDean »

mommymustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
Thanks for your response.

I have two kids, both still in car seats. It's nearly impossible to get by using public transport. (Picture a 5"2, 100lb woman wrestling a huge double stroller while trying to restrain two babies on the subway.) So a car really is a necessary evil at this stage.

I haven't looked into the fuel economy of the car. I really am a novice at this. My only previous car was bought for me by my parents.

cshaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Fuel economy for the smaller SUV's are typically pretty poor.  I spent about a month this winter looking at vehicles for my daughter and the Ford Explorer's, Chevy Blazers, etc. just get poor gas mileage.  They typically have a V6-V8 and 4 Wheel Drive which eats into your gas mileage.  There are probably some 4 cylinder options that would meet your needs and not suck in the MPG category.  Look through the archives: MM has done some posts on fuel efficient vehicles in the past.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »
If you don't need a third row of seats, would you consider a normal car? Cars like the Prius are pretty spacious inside.

Are you planning on more kids? How many miles do you do a year?

The Mustachian way with cars is to buy the smallest that still fits your needs, and drive it as little as possible.

That said, a 2004 Explorer with only 64000 miles should have a LOT of life left in it. I don't know if they've got a good rep though.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:11:23 AM »
Looking to purchase a 2004 Ford Explorer. 64k miles, priced at $5200 but would obviously negotiate.

Is this worth pursuing?

Depending on the condition and the options, that is probably a good price. Fuel mileage won't be great on that vehicle. Do you get a lot of deep snow where you live, and do you have to drive in it? If not, a front wheel sedan will do nearly as well in moderate to light snow, and will get better fuel mileage.

You might find this helpful in your used vehicle search:

Kelley Blue Book used car prices:
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/

used vehicle safety ratings:
http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »
Explorer seems like serious overkill for two kids. I've been schlepping mine around in a 99 Accord or my husband's 2008 Fit. We did have a CRV for a while, which got decent gas mileage for what it was, but it felt like overkill for us (so for a while we just had the Accord, and we might sell it in the foreseeable future and just share the Fit).

I agree that you probably want a car at this phase. Even the author of the book Walkable City was thinking of buying a car when he had two car seats! However, I will say that I find it much easier to strap my kids into the bike trailer than into their car seats, so I do that whenever possible :-).