Author Topic: Is this bike a good deal?  (Read 3233 times)

Gggirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is this bike a good deal?
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
I am interested in buying a bike to run errands around my neighborhood.  I am 5'5".  This is not a purchase to save money on gas.  Most of the places I go are at most 5 miles from my house.  I want to stop depending on a car as well as get the health benefit.    I live in somewhat hilly for TX area in suburbs.  I know nothing about bikes. 
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/4533594035.html

Thanks!

TrMama

Re: Is this bike a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Yes, that looks like a brand new bike for about 60% the price of buying it new. Even the drive train is sparkly clean.

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product-list/giant-bicycles-comfort-bikes-pg555/

Go try it out and if you like it, go for it.

so.mpls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
Not terrible, maybe a tad bit overpriced.  Bicycle Blue Book says $102-$160 depending on condition, but their estimates are sometimes low: http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=24271&make=683&model=58806&year=2008&priceMax=20000,

I think a 19" frame might be a bit too big for you... Of course if you take it for a test ride, and it feels good, don't worry about it but something in the 16-17" range might be better. 

Hugerat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
Personally I'd stay away from anything labeled a "comfort bike." These are often made with very low quality components that are not adequately stiff and don't hold up if you ride with any regularily. A big cushy seat, front suspension fork and adjustable stem might sound comfortable, but they do not provide a good riding experience. When climbing hills you will HATE HATE HATE the flex of that adjustable stem. The wheels also look very low quality and you will find them breaking ($80 a pop to repair) if you have potholes or rough roads.

Even if the primary purpose is short errands, a bike should have a stiff frame, a fixed stem, and no front suspension unless it is a true mountain bike. Look for something with an original MSRP of around $600 from a reputable bike maker. Giant is fine, but this one looks like a purchase you will regret down the road.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
I am not a fan of front suspension on any bike that primarily rides on the road.  You will be carrying extra weight and some of your peddle effort will be absorbed by the shock.  If you can find one with a standard (non-suspended) fork you'll appreciate the ride better.  The more you like the feel the more you will ride.  The price is a tad high too, but not really too bad.

Gggirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I really appreciate it.  I will continue my search.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
Looks pretty clean…just ask what is the best you can do you will be surprised sometimes they can drop a good amount off the price.

Biggest thing is ride it around before you buy it and see if you feel comfortable on it and it changes gears ok.

Hugerat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
You can think about it this way: Any energy used to bend the stem, flex the frame, or compress the suspension is not being transferred to the wheels to propel you forward. You will work harder and go slower. And stay away from that big fat seat too.