Author Topic: Is there an international ebook library?  (Read 2407 times)

dachs

• Bristles
Is there an international ebook library?
« on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I've been using my e-book reader quite a lot and I really like it. With my local library I can even borrow ebooks that will expire after a couple of weeks. That's great because I can never forget to bring back a book I borrowed ;)

The problem I have is that I don't have access to a lot of english books and most books that interest me are written in english (mostly investment books). Do you know a way to become a member of some kind of online library from where I could borrow english e-books?

Thanks in advance
dachs

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is there an international ebook library?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
Other than books out of copyright, I don't know of any totally free e-book libraries.

Quite a few U.S. libraries (public or university) will allow non-residents to be a member for an annual fee, including access to their e-books. For instance, the Free Library of Philadelphia charges $50/year for non-residents. There are also several commercial e-book lending libraries--Amazon has one, another is Oysterbooks.com, and a third is Scribd.com (don't know if there are geographical restrictions on any of this). I have enough ebook access through my local library that I don't need them, but if I were somewhere with a limited supply of ebooks, I would definitely consider them.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is there an international ebook library?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Project Gutenberg.  It's on the internet.

If that's  not international enough,  there is Project Gutenberg.au

No checkout period; yours to keep, in case you view that as a disadvantage.