Author Topic: Is termite protection worth paying for?  (Read 42750 times)

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
Is termite protection worth paying for?
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
Bought a new construction house last year that was pretreated for termites by a pest company. They are offering an annual retreatment for $125. Our builder recommended that we keep up with annual treatments based on other properties in the area. The company will come back for free and retreat if termites are detected within a year of the last treatment. They also guarantee against up to $1M in termite damage, provided you keep up with the treatments annually.

I'm in North Carolina (termites are a major issue here). Never seen any termites or bugs generally around the foundation of the house, but I also don't know the counterfactual (would there be evidence of termites if the house wasn't pretreated?).

My homeowners insurance doesn't cover termite damage. But I'm balking a bit because the cost is about a fifth of my annual insurance cost - it effectively seems like I'm buying an expensive termite damage rider for my existing insurance policy.

I DIY most other maintenance but am not sure I'd want to handle spraying these kinds of chemicals. I think I value the termite damage warranty.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: Is termite protection worth paying for?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
I'd say No. Do your own pest control. Read up on how to control them. Mostly just make it un-inviting: keep brush/wood etc away from your house, trees off the roof etc.  If you wish, buy the chems and pour a barrier around the house yourself.

FYI I do all my own pest control. In this part of the country Carpenter Ants cause far more destruction than termites.
To get started:
http://www.doityourselftermitecontrol.com/subterranean-termites.html#preventionandcontrol

good luck!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
I'd be inclined to say no to the coverage, but if you get subterranean termites you'll probably think otherwise.  I always figured these fantastically touted warranties, were only as good as the warranter, and when needed were actually squat...  Any loopholes, weasel words stick out on the contract like a certain grade must be maintained, soil type, etc?  What kind of foundation do you have?  What did the company use for pre-treatment?  About all you will ever see with a slab are 'mud tubes' on the visible concrete, but if you have any cracks inside, they can and will find wood framing, sills, etc.  If in a crawlspace, they can start a tube from the center, and go up until they find food.  This takes a very long time, but can happen. 

Moisture issues are a huge incentive for termites, so keep the grade proper along your home, NO WOOD MULCH, check for water pipe leaks, keep sprinklers away, etc.  Years ago Chlordane was the double gold standard for treatment, but it has been long banned.  Bayer Premise works OK, but the new gold standard is Termidor.  Bait stations sure will get them in, but in my experience, I like the chemical barrier much better.  Good luck.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
Termidor works. Bait stations are a waste of money & time.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
I'd be inclined to do it.

I let a termite bond expire in Georgia that was about that price.  Ended up costing me about the same between inspections and re-treatment when I moved.  Many buyers want to see a house was bonded and $125 isn't that expensive.

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
We'll be renewing our termite warranty at our house for about that price. It had been treated last August before we bought it, then after moving in a couple months ago we noticed evidence of termites. One call and they were out to treat again--I guess the termite guy wasn't able to get at a few spots because of some work being done on the house, and sure enough, that's approximately where they showed up. Haven't seen any evidence since.

With a year-to-year contract, you can always fire the company if they aren't doing it right, so it seems like they will be more motivated to do a good job. Some termite companies want to charge way more up front then give you a 5 year warranty. Not much you can do about them doing a lousy job--they already have your money.

As far as doing the treatments oneself, I know I won't be drilling into the concrete around my house to apply the chemical, but everyone has their own DIY comfort level.

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
Couple months later and termites are back. My guy was out the same day I called, treated the exterior walls and will be back Friday to inspect the whole house.

I will be renewing the warranty for sure come August, those bugs seem to find a way to get in!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
As one who has had some trouble with termites a couple time, YES it is worth it.
Since we installed the bait stations and do the annual treatments we've had no trouble ..... knock on wood.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
I think about it like insurance - that is a pretty small amount to pay for protection.  It is my understanding that it is especially important for new construction, mostly because of all of the sawdust associated with new construction is what draws the termites to the new location.  It is essentially easy to eat for termites and they love it. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
I go ahead and pay for it. You supposedly have an easier time selling your house if the termite contract is up to date, but I doubt it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »
I'm not sure if it is worth it or not but it gives me peace of mind. It is one of my house fears (along with the main sewer stack failing). I live in a wood bungalow. Also in NC which has plenty of active termites. The lot has a ton of trees so there is plenty of leaf mulch as well as fallen tree branches despite periodic clear outs. Plus a new wood back porch was installed on the house a few years ago so there is sawdust still around as well.

Perhaps if I were ever to cut down a couple of the trees, hire someone to keep yard clean, as well as (finally) get all the lumber stored near house foundation out of way, I would consider it, but not until then.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!