Author Topic: Is PB&J the most Mustachian lunch?  (Read 21105 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Is PB&J the most Mustachian lunch?
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
PB&J is an extremely Mustachian lunch.  I have it all the time.  I buy the peanut butter and jelly in bulk at the warehouse club and bake my own loaves of bread in our bread machine.  It probably only costs about 10 cents per sandwich.  For me, PB&J is my go-to quick meal on workout days.

What?  Do you only use like 2 peanuts worth?  I buy my pb in bulk too and I use far more than 10 cents worth of just pb per sandwich.  Maybe I am just a pig and make huge sandwiches.

Fun with Math and PB. 

Using the price book method, I figured out that the 1kg of peanut butter no name comes on sale for as low as $2, but usually more like $5 once a year, and I buy 2-3 jars at a time.

$0.10 is 5% of $2 or 50 mg (similar to ml for solid foods) out of 1kg... e.g. 2 TBSP.   

If the PB is priced at $5 (a typical sale every 2-3 months) then yes, I would be using either $0.25 of PB, or less than 1 TBSP at that price.  LOL.

Y'all had me making PB and jam (home made cherry jam) this morning for breakfast. 
I bet I used 1.5 TBSP too, and it was quite a bit.

I think you meant grams. 

$2 for 1kg of pb (1kg = 2.2 lbs)! That's cheap. The cheapest I can find pb is about 10 cents per ounce (1 ounce = 28.35 grams), so a 50g serving would be almost 20 cents.  Plus I do more than the recomended serving.  And I eat 2 sandwiches.

Thanks!  I did mean grams!  (gm instead of mg... darn typo)
hmm.  or maybe I meant "Funny Math" instead of "Fun with Math"...   

anyhow. 25 gm is about 25 ML, or about a TBSP so at least my conclusion was approximately correct...
I did mention "annual" sale...  rare, unusual, and exciting..   And I think that last year I missed it, or it was not held, so the $5 price was what I likely paid.    PB is banned in the schools here, so it lasts a long time at our home, for me or for weekends only.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
I'm with those who say a sandwich wouldn't fill me up - a year of living in France during my teens taught me that a sandwich is an after school snack, and lunch requires an actual meal.
However, I have a trivial little question triggered by an American movie - does PB&J pre-combined in a jar really exist? And do people really eat it?

Yes, it used to, not sure if it was pulled off the market. Picture the peanut butter jar containing alternating vertical stripes of peanut butter and grape jelly.  It might have been Jif that had this product, but I don't remember for sure. My mom would not but it whaen I was a kid, she thought it was stupid and too expensive.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
peanut butter and jelly
Ewwww.

Not sure if you really know what a PB&J is, and are just making fun of the difference in terminology. But I know someone here in Australia who heard about Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, couldn't figure out the appeal, and actually tried it. In Australia (and I'm sure other English speaking countries), Jelly = Jell-O. So this person made a peanut butter and jell-o sandwich.

To clarify, when an American says jelly, substitute that word with jam. I know I know, go to Walmart and you'll see a huge section with both jams and jellies (because there is a difference), but for all intents and purposes, jelly = jam.

Another interesting thing, grape jam isn't a thing here (at least, I couldn't find any in the normal supermarkets). Strawberry is popular, seen plum offered...but you're not going to get the wide variety like in the US. No gazing at all the choices...strawberry jelly or strawberry jam...seeds or seedless, with high fructose corn syrup or not...or maybe grape, blackberry, raspberry, even blueberry if you're lucky.

Oh, and you've only got a handful of peanut butter choices. You can get Kraft creamy or crunchy, or generic creamy or crunchy.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
peanut butter and jelly
Ewwww.

Not sure if you really know what a PB&J is, and are just making fun of the difference in terminology. But I know someone here in Australia who heard about Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, couldn't figure out the appeal, and actually tried it. In Australia (and I'm sure other English speaking countries), Jelly = Jell-O. So this person made a peanut butter and jell-o sandwich.

To clarify, when an American says jelly, substitute that word with jam. I know I know, go to Walmart and you'll see a huge section with both jams and jellies (because there is a difference), but for all intents and purposes, jelly = jam.

Another interesting thing, grape jam isn't a thing here (at least, I couldn't find any in the normal supermarkets). Strawberry is popular, seen plum offered...but you're not going to get the wide variety like in the US. No gazing at all the choices...strawberry jelly or strawberry jam...seeds or seedless, with high fructose corn syrup or not...or maybe grape, blackberry, raspberry, even blueberry if you're lucky.

Oh, and you've only got a handful of peanut butter choices. You can get Kraft creamy or crunchy, or generic creamy or crunchy.

Actually, Jam is technically different than Jelly, at least in the US.

My family makes a ton of both jam and jelly. Jam consists of whole fruit, mashed up into tiny bits. It's much easier to make than jelly, which consists of only the juice from the fruit. It's an important difference - you'll really notice it when you have both jam and jelly made from the same fruit.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
I don't know if it's just my family or the norm in Aus generally, but to me, jelly is for little kids who don't like lumps, and jam is for grown ups. My mum at any rate always refused to buy jelly, and the only companies I see that make it normally are the mass market, super high sugar brands. The fancy better tasting brands only seem to have jam. Oh, and the stores I go to have a lot more variety than just strawberry - admittedly not grape, but plenty of others (including some with native Aussie fruits which are quite lovely)

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Actually, Jam is technically different than Jelly, at least in the US.

My family makes a ton of both jam and jelly. Jam consists of whole fruit, mashed up into tiny bits. It's much easier to make than jelly, which consists of only the juice from the fruit. It's an important difference - you'll really notice it when you have both jam and jelly made from the same fruit.

I know, I acknowledged that jam and jelly are technically different :) . If you say peanut butter and jam in the US, it's understood you mean the same basic thing as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But saying peanut butter and jelly in Australia (and other parts of the world), it might be understood as a peanut butter and jell-o sandwich. Even "I" think that would be a bit weird :) . Though I guess it'd depend on the jelly...technically a home-made jelly might be spot-on, but still way different than the instant jell-o type of jelly.

Oh...back on topic...kids eat PB&Js all the time, though our oldest went through a phase of refusing them (think someone at the Australian school here made fun of him, so it was peanut butter and nutella sandwiches until our recent trip back to the US, now he's back on PB&J). I don't love them (the sandwiches!), but have no problem eating them. Make them quite often for outings.

For OCD reasons, I prefer putting peanut butter on one side, jam/jelly on the other, keeping both utensils completely separate. Since I also do dishes, I put peanut butter on first and jam on top. Use the same utensil (one less in the dishes pile), and it's easier to spread jam on top of a layer of peanut butter than directly on the bread. If it's going to be more than an hour or so until we eat them, then it's two layers of peanut butter with jam in the middle.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
I hate PBJ made with the ubiquitous grape jelly.  PBJ on a good whole wheat bread with a  not-too-sweet apricot jam is good. Or cream cheese and jelly is a nice sandwich once in a while.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »

Out of curiosity, how do folks here go about making PB&J's? Do you:
a) Spread peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other then stick them together; or
b) Spread peanut butter on one side followed by jelly on the same side?

I have a few family members who do option b) and it's a little intriguing, although I always do option a).

thick peanut butter on one side spread with a knife, then jelly out of a jar with a spoon and spread on top of the PB.  if consumption is meant immediately, of course.

If the sandwich must last a few hours, a thinner layer of PB on BOTH SIDES OF THE BREAD followed by a helping of jelly in the center.  The PB protects the bread from getting soggy from the jelly.

I must disagree.

1.  Spread peanut butter on bread with knife.
2.  Wipe knife on other piece of bread until nominally clean.
3.  Use spoon to put strawberry jam on wiped bread.
4.  Lick spoon.
5.  Spread jam with knife.
6.  Lick knife (carefully.)
7.  Assemble sandwich.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
PB&J is an extremely Mustachian lunch.  I have it all the time.  I buy the peanut butter and jelly in bulk at the warehouse club and bake my own loaves of bread in our bread machine.  It probably only costs about 10 cents per sandwich.  For me, PB&J is my go-to quick meal on workout days.

What?  Do you only use like 2 peanuts worth?  I buy my pb in bulk too and I use far more than 10 cents worth of just pb per sandwich.  Maybe I am just a pig and make huge sandwiches.

Fun with Math and PB. 

Using the price book method, I figured out that the 1kg of peanut butter no name comes on sale for as low as $2, but usually more like $5 once a year, and I buy 2-3 jars at a time.

$0.10 is 5% of $2 or 50 mg (similar to ml for solid foods) out of 1kg... e.g. 2 TBSP.   

If the PB is priced at $5 (a typical sale every 2-3 months) then yes, I would be using either $0.25 of PB, or less than 1 TBSP at that price.  LOL.

Y'all had me making PB and jam (home made cherry jam) this morning for breakfast. 
I bet I used 1.5 TBSP too, and it was quite a bit.

I think you meant grams. 

$2 for 1kg of pb (1kg = 2.2 lbs)! That's cheap. The cheapest I can find pb is about 10 cents per ounce (1 ounce = 28.35 grams), so a 50g serving would be almost 20 cents.  Plus I do more than the recomended serving.  And I eat 2 sandwiches.

anyhow. 25 gm is about 25 ML, or about a TBSP so at least my conclusion was approximately correct...
I did mention "annual" sale...  rare, unusual, and exciting..   And I think that last year I missed it, or it was not held, so the $5 price was what I likely paid.    PB is banned in the schools here, so it lasts a long time at our home, for me or for weekends only.

I buy massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly at a time, because I eat it several times a week before workouts and since it keeps for a very, very long time.  You'd be surprised how cheap it can be when you buy it in large enough containers at warehouse stores (and if you avoid brand names).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
Most Mustachian lunch = a glass of olive oil, or maybe a stick of butter:  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/18/the-amazing-waist-slimming-wallet-fattening-nutrient/

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:58 PM »
PB&J is an extremely Mustachian lunch.  I have it all the time.  I buy the peanut butter and jelly in bulk at the warehouse club

I buy massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly at a time,..

Okay I will bite.. How massive?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »

Actually the symbol for grams is just g, not gm.  [/engineer]

25 g only = 25mL if it has the same density as water, pb doesn't.  2 tbsp of pb = 32g (from the nutrition label)

I buy massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly at a time, because I eat it several times a week before workouts and since it keeps for a very, very long time.  You'd be surprised how cheap it can be when you buy it in large enough containers at warehouse stores (and if you avoid brand names).

I have had my eye open for peanut butter at costco for close to a year.  They only sell jif, and a more expensive "natural" pb of costco brand.  Unless they are having a good sale on it it is usually cheaper to buy pb at kroger for around 9-10 cents/oz.   How much do you buy, and what is your unit price?

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »

Actually the symbol for grams is just g, not gm.  [/engineer]

25 g only = 25mL if it has the same density as water, pb doesn't.  2 tbsp of pb = 32g (from the nutrition label)

I have had my eye open for peanut butter at costco for close to a year.  They only sell jif, and a more expensive "natural" pb of costco brand.  Unless they are having a good sale on it it is usually cheaper to buy pb at kroger for around 9-10 cents/oz.   How much do you buy, and what is your unit price?

The best I can find is the local Kroger at 10 cents an oz like you said. I typically go through a lot of PB on a normal basis.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!