Author Topic: Is it worth trying to get 60hours a week?  (Read 3655 times)

blackjack

• Stubble
Is it worth trying to get 60hours a week?
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
I have the option to work close to 60hrs a week which would mean anything over 40hrs is time and half pay... The problem is although the money is great its quite demanding and keeps me away from home...
I guess its worth it for the price of ER?
Would you work that much?

dadof4

• Stubble
Re: Is it worth trying to get 60hours a week?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
Personally, no.

If work makes you happy, then it might be worth it. You seem to indicate that it is stressful and you would rather be at home.

ER is a great goal, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying life before you retire.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
Can you do some of it remotely?  Do you have to commit to 60 hours every week?

I have been working overtime almost every week and while it can be difficult it is a great way to bring in some extra cash.  I am able to work at home full time which makes it much easier.

goodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
I think it depends. If you are doing it for a certain period of time with a tangible goal, then it might make sense. For example, if you know you can pay off your student loan by doing overtime for 6 months, then that might be a good idea even if you don't like working that long hours, because it is a tangible goal with an end in sight. If you are just doing it to get to ER faster but doing it for an indefinite time, then no, it doesn't seem to be worth it since it would most likely make you miserable.

SoCal Spartan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I recently started working 60+ hours per week myself. In my case, it is two 32-hour/week contracts at separate companies. One I have been at for about 8 months and the work can be done remotely about 95% of the time (occasional on-site meetings). The other, I just started and for the foreseeable future will require me to be on-site. The reason for me taking on both is I'm hoping one of the two will turn into a permanent, full-time position.

It's a bit of a juggling act and I haven't been doing it long enough to know whether it's going to work out in the long run, but I'm willing to give it a go in the short-term for the extra money. Worst case scenario for me is I have to let one go.

If you think you can manage and are ok with being away from home more, I would say go for it (especially given the time-and-a-half pay for the extra 20 hours). Is it something you can try out and if it becomes too much, scale back to the 40 hours you were working?

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
If you think you can manage and are ok with being away from home more, I would say go for it (especially given the time-and-a-half pay for the extra 20 hours). Is it something you can try out and if it becomes too much, scale back to the 40 hours you were working?

+1 - I'm single and would be fine being away from home 60 hours a week if it resulted in better compensation (which is near impossible in my position). I've worked 84 hour weeks and my current 42-45 work week is a breeze in comparison. The most busy week neared 50 at most. I'm salaried, though, and my compensation isn't tied to how many hours I work.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
I've been able to do 50 hours a week (with 10 of that paid OT, kinda lucky) for a while and have been doing so for the majority of it.

Working significant amounts eventually wears on you.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
I currently work 36 hours per week, so that I can actually see my son before he goes to bed at night (I work only 4 days a week, and the 10+ hr days were killing me).  So, for me, I'd vote absolutely no to that proposition.  If I were single... I'd consider it.