Author Topic: Is it worth losing sleep to save $100 per month?  (Read 15790 times)

sjc0816

• Bristles
Is it worth losing sleep to save $100 per month?
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:44:46 AM »
A few years ago when we started making changes to be as frugal as possible, I started teaching a fitness class one day a week at 5am to cover the cost of our gym membership ($100).

For some reason, the night before my class, I don't sleep.  I'm not sure what the deal is.....anxiety over sleeping through my alarm?  Not sure.  But I toss and turn all night and might get a total of 2-3 hours of broken sleep.

I've tried everything over the past few years to fix this....short of sleeping pills.  Nothing works.  It legit takes me two days to get back on track and I've gotten to where I have anxiety over even trying to go to sleep the day before my class.  It's crazy!

Long story short. I love my class....love getting my membership paid for....but am at the end of my rope with the sleep situation and think I might throw in the towel and start paying for my gym again. 

I have guilt about doing this. Hence the post.  Any advice or feedback? 

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Is it worth losing sleep to save $100 per month?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:01:09 AM »
You have been doing it for years and you have not got over losing sleep.
I have sleep apnea and have first hand knowledge of what lack of sleep can do to your health and productivity.

Pay the $100 and regain your sleep.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »
When do you normally get up in the morning?  Is the class causing some kind of disruption to your normal routine?  Good sleep stems from repetition and familiarity. . .

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
Every other day of the week I wake up between 6-7am.  So yes, waking up at 4:45am one morning out of 7 is a little wacky.  But if you are suggesting I start waking at 4:45am every morning.....well, it's not happening. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:01 AM »
Will the gym let you teach a class at a different time? If not, start paying and get your sleep!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:15 AM »
I would think it would be more practical to talk to your gym and see if you can teach a later class....

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:37 AM »
I can't teach a later class because my oldest child has aged out of childcare but he's not old enough to stay home alone.  I can't teach evening classes because of my husband's erratic work schedule. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:45 AM »
  • Is there any way to shift to teaching a class at another time slot and still retain your free membership?
  • What about quitting the class and just giving up the gym membership entirely?
  • If you absolutely must have access to a gym, surely you could find one with a lower membership fee?

Assuming the answers to all three of those questions are no, then is a comparison between an extra $100/month (requiring an extra $30k in permanent retirement savings to support it, ouch!) and a terrible night of no sleep once a week for the rest of your month, I'd say the $100/month fee is the lesser of two evils.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »
By the power of the moustache vested in me, I hereby absolve you of your sins of the 100$/month gym fees.  Now purchase 100$ of VSTAX as penance.

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:18:56 AM »
We can't live without a gym.  We live in the Midwest....it's the only way to exercise 6 months out of the year.

There is a ymca we could join that would be around $60 a month.  But it's 15 miles away....our current gym is in our backyard.  Doesn't seem like a smart move....but something to think about.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »
What do you use the gym for?  A weight set can be purchased cheaply if you've got room in the garage or basement.  Cardio is best experienced outside running or cycling.  Snow is just cold water, not a fatal poison (I know, this is a hard concept for many to grasp) . . . wear appropriate clothing and you'll be able to survive it comfortably.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
I have to get up at 5am for work - I hate it. I've done it for years. I've never adjusted. I'm exhausted at the end of the week.

Stop teaching the class if there isn't a logistical way to rearrange your schedule. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. If you are meeting your savings goals and you benefit greatly from your $100 spent on a gym membership, then keep it.

$100 a month for a family membership, for a close gym, that you use frequently, I too absolve you of the sin of spening $100 a month on the gym.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:20 AM »
I have to get up at 5am for work - I hate it. I've done it for years. I've never adjusted. I'm exhausted at the end of the week.

Stop teaching the class if there isn't a logistical way to rearrange your schedule. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. If you are meeting your savings goals and you benefit greatly from your $100 spent on a gym membership, then keep it.

$100 a month for a family membership, for a close gym, that you use frequently, I too absolve you of the sin of spening $100 a month on the gym.

I totally agree, I have to get up at 5:30, also hate it, also know I'm finished by the end of the week, if there was any way to avoid it I would. I've even contemplated on sleeping in a van at my office so I could get an extra hour in...

Get out of it if you can. Spend $100 for now. You can start a later class when your child is older.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
What time do you normally work out?  You say you can't teach a class at other times, but surely you go to the gym other times, right?  See if you can use one of those times to teach a class instead.

Otherwise, I'd drop the class, and the gym.  $100 a month is a lot for a gym. Get some beachbody programs and workout at home.  (I live in the Midwest too. I work out at home. My husband works out at a gym, but it costs way less than $100.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:11:58 AM by iowajes »

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 06:48:15 AM »
What do you use the gym for?  A weight set can be purchased cheaply if you've got room in the garage or basement.  Cardio is best experienced outside running or cycling.  Snow is just cold water, not a fatal poison (I know, this is a hard concept for many to grasp) . . . wear appropriate clothing and you'll be able to survive it comfortably.

I appreciate that and I agree that snow is not poison.  Just being honest with you and myself....my husband and I will not run outside when it's below 30 degrees (wet, cold, windy....yuck).  Yes, we're wimps.  Just being honest.

Thanks all for the input!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »

I have guilt about doing this. Hence the post.  Any advice or feedback?

Good sleep is priceless. Pay the $100 or find an alternate way to generate/offset that $100.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 06:53:01 AM »
If you're sleeping poorly 1/7 nights, until you've caught up on that week's missed sleep you are not your best self for your job, child, or husband.  (That could mean lower attention span, impatience, spacing out, lack of energy.) Seems too high a price to pay for $100/month.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
No. You will lose far more than $100/month doing stupid things because you haven't slept.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:36 AM »
We can't live without a gym.  We live in the Midwest....it's the only way to exercise 6 months out of the year.

Debatable.  Run, walk or bike outside, get some adjustable dumbbells for at home.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »
 Lose the class. Keep the gym. In the end, MMM is all about doing what's best for you and makes you happy.

Nannooskeeska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »

I appreciate that and I agree that snow is not poison.  Just being honest with you and myself....my husband and I will not run outside when it's below 30 degrees (wet, cold, windy....yuck).  Yes, we're wimps.  Just being honest.

I think that that's actually my favorite time to be outside doing stuff! But I'm a hot-body anyway, anything more than about 65 degrees and I start to get uncomfortable :P

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 07:13:07 AM »
Another vote for dropping the class and keeping the gym. If you're really freaked out about it, could you pick up the $100 elsewhere? A few extra hours at work? A side hustle?

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:01 AM »
Drop the class and keep the gym.  It's a luxury, yes, but you've also shown that you will get full use from it. 

Only other thing I'd look into is what about a 6month membership?  Escape the snow in the winter, but then enjoy the fresh air now.  If you have heartache about spending the $100/month, then only do it 1/2 as often to save half the cost.

wwweb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »
No. You will lose far more than $100/month doing stupid things because you haven't slept.

+1

You are working a second job which is forcing you to lose 1 night of sleep a week.  You are getting paid $25 a week to do this.  I can't imagine that sounds reasonable to anyone.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 07:27:33 AM »

I'll still be wearing shorts to run if it's 30F...but I'm a crazy Canadian. But, once the snow sets in, I use my treadmill as I hate running on snow and ice, but I do have a friend who routinely does long runs (3+ hours) at -30.

Buy some weights and save $100 a month. Find another way to get your cardio...find a used treadmill or even a bike trainer:

http://stationary-bike-stand.org/the-eight-best-bike-trainer-stands-to-consider-buying-in-2014/

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:14 AM »
I'm not trying to just make up excuses for having a gym membership.  Working out at home just doesn't work for me.  I work from home.....have kids......there is ALWAYS something to do in my house.  If I want to work out....I must leave.  I can't pop a DVD in and exercise when there are dishes/laundry/emails, etc.  Certainly everyone recognizes that what works for one person might not be the best for another. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:28 AM »
The $100/month is not a permanent expense.  Your children will eventually be old enough to look after themselves while you teach at a better time.  In the mean time, it is probably worth paying for the membership.  Sleep impacts too much of your life to ignore it.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »
sjc0816 - Just poppin' in to say I 100% feel you on needing to leave the house to work out. I'm in a similar situation, work from home, small children, etc and I've recently rejoined the gym almost 4 years after cancelling my last membership. If it weren't for the gym membership I would go days without leaving my house sometimes (which also means never escaping "the office" or housework). For me those 45 quiet minutes away in the morning are almost a vacation where I am doing something healthy for my body and my mind. No guilt!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
I never understood people who pay for a gym.

I think my downstairs neighbors would frown on my olympic weight lifting platform ;) And my friends would probably be annoyed that I replaced the only seating in my 500sqft apartment with it.

Can you really not think of ANY reasons people would pay for a gym? How about the $100s saved living in a smaller place closer to work, cutting commuting costs and cleaning costs and all that? Does $30/person really not offset that? Check yo math =D

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
As a fellow Midwestian, I hear what you're saying about the weather. I don't want to bundle up and go outside for exercise when it's 20 degrees out, either.

The best shape I've ever been in though was in the middle of the winter, a couple years ago, when I invested (haha) in Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and a couple of hand weights. It's a ~25 minute workout, less cheesy than you're probably thinking, and it was HARD. I had abs by the end of the month. The fact that it's so short really make it easy to focus on the exercise for me - I managed it while I was going to grad school and working full time. Does take some discipline, but then again, so does packing a gym bag and commuting to the gym.

But, if you really think you need the gym membership, and your sleep is suffering, then I'd just pay the money. Being in shape and getting your you time is important.

On another note... it drives me nuts that more gyms don't have seasonal membership options. I get it, from a business perspective... but as a potential gym user, I really don't want to sign up for the gym in the winter and then pay a big cancellation fee in the summer. Too bad there aren't better seasonal options out there.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
Have you tried just taking a Benadryl (or half of one) the night before you teach?  I take it as a sleep aid with no grogginess or side effects.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »

I think my downstairs neighbors would frown on my olympic weight lifting platform ;) And my friends would probably be annoyed that I replaced the only seating in my 500sqft apartment with it.

Can you really not think of ANY reasons people would pay for a gym? How about the $100s saved living in a smaller place closer to work, cutting commuting costs and cleaning costs and all that? Does $30/person really not offset that? Check yo math =D

I have seem this here many times, some forum members just dont understand that a squat rack in the living room is a life style choice many people will not make.  That said when I buy a house soon a home gym will be the first thing in the garage, my car can sleep outside :-)

Edit:
Re sleeping: I found getting rid of the brightly light up digital alarm clock help me sleep a lot better.  I only use the alarm on my cell now.  The room is much darker this way and if I wake up I cant look at the clock and get frustrated with "I only have 1 hr left to sleep". 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:15:16 AM by AlanStache »

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 09:05:21 AM »
Lack of sleep is an awful curse and you've given this more than enough of a try to realize that it's just not working for you.  Drop the class.

Sounds like you use the gym a lot, so keep the gym.  I used to work out 5 days a week on my lunch break at a gym next to my office, it was well worth the $80/mo.  Now that I'm fat and lazy it's not worth it to me unless I want to get back on that bandwagon.   

The MMM philosophy is not about being cheap, it's about being frugal.  Sounds like you did something that seemed frugal but now has proven itself to be cheap.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
I spent the past couple of years getting up at 5AM to catch a train to work.  If I missed the train, it meant being an hour late for work.  A couple of months ago, we moved and I no longer have to get up at 5AM to catch the train, and the consequences of missing my regular public transit to work are much less (my backup option just means being 5-10 minutes late).  I still get up at 5AM (to do other stuff), but I'm SO much less tired than I was before.  I realized (after the fact) that anxiety about sleeping through my alarm/missing the train was really messing with my sleep cycle--if I woke up in the middle of the night and it was after midnight, I'd have a hard time getting back to sleep because it would be in my head that I had only ____ amount of time left before my alarm went off.  Now if I wake up in the middle of the night, I roll over and go back to sleep--I know if I do miss my alarm, it's not a big deal, as I have more wiggle room in the time between waking up and leaving the house.

I'm in bed for the same amount of hours each night now, but when the end of the week comes around, I feel ready to do stuff over the weekend and I actually still wake up sometime between 5-530 on weekends.  When I HAD to get up at 5AM, I was exhausted by the end of the week.  It was really hard for me to get up before 7, sometimes I even needed to sleep in until 8 or 9 to feel rested.  I've never been one to enjoy sleeping in so being unable to easily get up before 8 or 9 was kind of a big deal for me.

Personally, I guess I would probably start paying for gym membership.  If the money really bothers you, maybe examine whether or not there are not-so-great health or spending choices going on that are attributable to lack of sleep?  For example, do you find yourself relying on convenience foods or restaurants more than you'd like because you are too tired to cook?  I've noticed also since I stopped my morning commute craziness that I have more energy for things like taking a quick walk on my lunch break, and I also get fewer cravings for an afternoon pick me up of chocolate, candy, hot cocoa, etc.  I always "knew" that being sleep-deprived made me eat more poorly, but I've really had that reinforced recently by seeing how much less I care that there are pastries in the breakroom at 3pm (or whatever) now that I'm properly rested.  I guess I'm saying you might want to scrutinize your overall health situation and consider whether or not the lack of sleep is contributing to your need for a gym membership!

Also, I know you say it is too cold to exercise outside for 6 months of the year--is it possible for you to get a gym membership for the winter only, or are there initiation fees that make that cost prohibitive? 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »

I have seem this here many times, some forum members just dont understand that a squat rack in the living room is a life style choice many people will not make.  That said when I buy a house soon a home gym will be the first thing in the garage, my car can sleep outside :-)

Edit:
Re sleeping: I found getting rid of the brightly light up digital alarm clock help me sleep a lot better.  I only use the alarm on my cell now.  The room is much darker this way and if I wake up I cant look at the clock and get frustrated with "I only have 1 hr left to sleep".

Amen. Goal for a house includes room for garden, room for a DIY weight room. Can't wait.

As for sleep, keep your room dark and cool. Avoid blue light before bed (phones, TV, computers) as these suppress melatonin synthesis. If you NEED your electronics, instal fl.ux or another color-changing app. Establish a bedtime routine- a cool shower works very well for this. It sounds like since you sleep well the rest of the time it isn't so much sleep hygiene as anxiety keeping you awake, but good sleep practices are always good to focus on =)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 09:25:08 AM »
OP,

Drop the class and pay the $100. 

The key reason:  Sleep is as valuable to your health as working out!  So when you get your sleep and retain your gym membership, you get 2 wins.

You've already made it clear that going to the gym is the practice that allows you in real life to exercise.  So do it. 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
I pretty much made the same choice 4 months ago- I had a weekend job delivering bagels by bike at 6AM that paid in bagels and $25 cash/week. There was a time in my life I really *needed* the money, but when that stopped being true I didn't get rid of that job because that cash was my "bar fund" and frankly, getting paid $25 to ride my bike 10 miles early in the morning was a pretty cush gig.

Once the schedule and route changed and required me to get up even earlier and ride even further (thereby lowering my hourly wage because the route took longer), I finally quit the job. And you know what? I haven't regretted it for a second. I still spend $100/month at bars, but I no longer lose work or sleep over getting someone else to cover when I want to go on a weekend trip. I don't have to leave Friday night plans by 8:30PM because I have to be up at 5:30. The $100/month was totally worth not losing sleep over.

(Not to mention, once I freed up that 1.5hrs/week, I actually ended up spending that time on a contracting gig that paid the same rate per hour but whenever I wanted.)

I do miss the free bagels a tiny bit, though.

Felipe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »
I'm in California and I pay a fraction of what you pay for the gym.

I also have Olympic rings that I attached to a pull-up bar I installed in a door way and use that every morning for all sorts of good exercise (dips, rows, pushups, pull-ups, isometric holds like L-sit and front lever, slide leg curls..) It's efficient and you can hit the whole body from your home.

They're $25-100 for the rings, another $25-50 for the pull-up bar.

If that doesn't work for you, I don't think losing sleep is worth it.

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
My alarm starts chiming at 4:50AM so I have time to exercise before work every morning. It sucks but I know I will NOT work out after work unless there's a VERY compelling reason such as martial arts classes that sensei expected me to be at. I loved karate, even though it ran $150/mo for me & the Spawn. Leaving the dojo was like breaking up with a long-term partner; the only other relationship I've had that lasted longer was with family. But arthritic knees forced my (empty) hand.

I tried a gym for a few fail months, then my sis gave me some Gilad dvd's. I love those workouts! A squishy mat and 3/5/8lb hand weights is all I need and once you establish the habit, it feels really wrong to skip. Most run 40-60 minutes and push you aerobically as well as the strength & toning. I have borrowed/rented other dvd's thru netflix & the library to see who else has good routines. And Hulu constantly reminds me that they carry Daily Burn, as does Amazon Prime tho' they also have a couple other fitness channels available.

Peri-menopause means my sleep is f*cked due to hot flashes. Rx hormone supplementation has mostly solved that, thank you modern medicine. But I was shocked at how awful broken/short sleep left me feeling, utterly useless some days so bag teaching that class and get back on a regular sleep schedule for your own happiness & health.

Cheers!

RH

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »
I never understood people who pay for a gym. I bought myself weights & utilize free online cardio/strength training videos (Fitness Blender is an awesome start), and lost a ton of weight without ever setting foot in a gym OR running (I hate running).

I have a gym membership because I am much more productive when I am surrounded by other people also working out. It motivates me. I tried working out at home and failed miserably. I've also met some great friends through the gym. My membership is a bit cheaper at $30/mo.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
Just live your best life. $100/mo is a pittance to pay for less stress, less anxiety, and better sleep. If you value the gym at $100/mo and can't find a cheaper way to do it, then that's fine. But don't teach the class.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
Yeah, sounds like it's going to cost you more than $100/mo down the line if you impact your health over the long term... I'd give up on the $100

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
So grateful for these responses.  I'm going to give notice soon and quit teaching. Phew. 

The more I think about it, I'm almost certain I will double my work productivity at least 2 days per week by being well rested (I'm part time/hourly)....and that will more than make up for the cost of my gym membership.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »
I think that's the right decision. You've been years with sleep problems already, frankly, y might be healthier sleeping right and not doing the regular exercise, but if you can afford both, do both.

fb132

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
I am curious, I usually pay my gym membership 35$ per month...how come you pay 100$?? Does that include a personal trainer or is it simply because there is no buisness competition so the company charge whatever they want?

By the way, paying for a gym membership isn't a waste of money (unless you don't actually go), you are basically investing in your health, so don't think of it as money thrown out the window.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:23:47 PM by fb132 »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »
I am curious, I usually pay my gym membership 35$ per month...how come you pay 100$?? Does that include a personal trainer or is it simply because there is no buisness competition so the company charge whatever they want?

By the way, paying for a gym membership isn't a waste of money (unless you don't actually go), you are basically investing in your health, so don't think of it as money thrown out the window.

I think further up in the thread she mentioned that it was for her whole family. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
So grateful for these responses.  I'm going to give notice soon and quit teaching. Phew. 

The more I think about it, I'm almost certain I will double my work productivity at least 2 days per week by being well rested (I'm part time/hourly)....and that will more than make up for the cost of my gym membership.

I've never seen a thread so whole heartedly endorse spending an extra $100 a month!  ;-0

I agree with them, too.

It might be worth it to explain the situation to the gym...some have day care options or some might be willing to allow you to pool sitters with other people in the class? So, one babysitter for five kids might be way less than you'd think, and allow you to teach a later class?

Just spitballing ideas. I think communicating with them is worth the effort, and giving notice and a heads up might mean that when you are ready to teach a class that has better hours for you, the door is still open for you to come back.

Forgot who said try benydryl but yeah, it does help. Melatonin helps some people. Sleepy Time tea and meditation helps some people sleep.

But it sounds like you've maybe tried all that.

Good luck!

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
I think paying $100 a month is pretty unmustachian personally. You are not getting the membership for free, you are working for it, no different really.

fb132

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 04:32:45 AM »
I think paying $100 a month is pretty unmustachian personally. You are not getting the membership for free, you are working for it, no different really.

Being mustachian doesn't mean you have to be cheap. In my situation, the gym membership doesn't hurt my finances as I am already saving more than 50%, plus i enjoy working out and in the long run, it will save me more than 35$/month, because it cost more when you are sick especially in the US (In Canada, I get to save alot of money to every tax payer by remaining healthy). Of course, having your own gym equipment is more optimal, but out of everything any human being can spend on things, gym membership is one that has alot plus-value.