Author Topic: Is it worth doubling your transportation expense to save 1hr per workday?  (Read 3841 times)

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
I currently purchase a monthly bus/train pass that offers unlimited rides to/from work that costs me $116.50. My city also offers an "express" pass that ends up costing closer to $250/month, but saves me a half hour each way from me 75-90-minute public transport commute to work. It also allows me to consolidate my commute to one bus, so I can sleep for the whole trip to work. (With the standard commute, I have to transfer twice).

This is obviously cheaper than a car, but I'm balking at the idea of doubling my transportation cost for the luxury.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:24:16 PM by moe_rants »

firewalker

• Bristles
So, the cheaper route means you travel 75 to 90 minutes each way, and for 100 bucks a month more, your one way commute drops to 45 to 60 mins? That's still a long commute but I'd pay the 100 bucks.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
Pay $135 to save ~25 hours of your life per month? This is a no brainer for me.

I have a feeling that you wouldn't accept a job for $5.40 an hour, working one hour a day after work.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

I have a feeling that you wouldn't accept a job for $5.40 an hour, working one hour a day after work.

I'm onside with this math.  Unless you've got some serious debt, your time is worth more than $5-6/hr. (Do you still side hustle by tutoring?  Use a few of those saved hours on your second job and voila!  You are ahead.)

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
I am a fellow sufferer on the public transport system, and I would definitely pay 100 euros a month to halve my travelling time. The previous posters are right, unless you are in debt this is a no-brainer. Your time and energy are worth more than this.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
Thanks guys! I'm gonna go with the express pass then. Just wanted a second opinion before commiting to it :)

I'm onside with this math.  Unless you've got some serious debt, your time is worth more than $5-6/hr. (Do you still side hustle by tutoring?  Use a few of those saved hours on your second job and voila!  You are ahead.)

I am! I actually just started taking private students, which has been pretty lucrative. You're right, I can use that extra time to recharge and maybe take an additional student per week.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
I also would opt for the faster but more costly option. I want to get home and be w/ my kids! An hour a day is a lot of my time - so it would be well worth the cost IMHO to get that hour per day back.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
I would not because my round trip commute is only 20 minutes a day. 
In your situation, I would.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
I'd pay it and smile while I was doing so. Wish I could.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
I would not because my round trip commute is only 20 minutes a day. 
In your situation, I would.

If I could pay an extra hundred bucks to get 24.67 hours per day, I definitely would.