Author Topic: Is it un-mustachian to purchase this drum kit?  (Read 5660 times)

Polket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is it un-mustachian to purchase this drum kit?
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a professional drummer when I'm not in the office cranking away on the computer in IT. I play a few times a month and my income from drumming nets me about 400-800 extra dollars a month on average. This is extra money I am using currently to help me pay off my student loan debt faster.

I'm looking to spend $2,200 on a new drum kit.

My Justification:

I am starting to play in different venues and shows as I expand my drumming horizons that require me to buy a different drum kit that better fits these types of gigs. Whether you believe it or not, the size of the drums really do matter to other musicians and venue owners. My current kit has really big drum shells and is mainly used for large venues / amphitheater situations. I've been having trouble using this in smaller venues that require quieter sound. This new kit would fill the need for a pro-level kit that has smaller drum shells for quieter places but still delivers the same tone and sound that my main bigger kit produces.

I have no current emergency debt other than the student loans. But this kit could pay itself off in a matter of months. I just feel dirty getting my tax return back and immediately spending it on this.

Or am I really being just overly cautious here and ridiculous?

EMP

• Bristles
Re: Is it un-mustachian to purchase this drum kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
You can find a great deal on drums through craigslist.  Even a nice sparkly set of DW's, so does it have to be new?

And are you selling your old kit?  How much will you get for it?

One kit is perfectly understandable, and I'll even let you have an extra snare, but you have a debt emergency.  No need to have an extra kit around taking up space. 

Now if I could just convince my hubby...But we're down a few guitars and amps from where we started. 

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
I guess that I'd ask yourself if it's really a need, or just a want. Sure, it would be nice to play on a kit better suited to the venue size, but could you get by with what you have? Probably. Right?

I get what you're going for. My husband owns a recording studio, and I seriously couldn't even tell you how many drum kits he has at this point, yet he's still lusting after 1960s Ludwigs. But he won't be getting them until we're well able to afford it (we don't have debt, have a year's worth of savings, and have almost paid off our house, but we're incredibly behind in retirement and investments).
He's had to make due with what he's had in terms of a lot of studio equipment for the past 11 years, but he's still booked far in advance. So it hasn't hurt his career much, if at all.

I'm probably the wrong (crabby) person to ask, but I think that you can wait and through your entire tax refund at the student loan. Less fun, but probably more responsible.

(But if you do buy, buy used. Surely you've got friends/acquaintances who know someone selling drums. If not, Craigslist.)

Polket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
@ EMP: I wouldn't be selling the original kit no, this would just be an additional kit. Storage is not a problem for me.

@ Norrie: Honestly, this is probably more of a want than a need. I could probably deal with the current kit, even though it's pissing people off (I don't hit the drums hard, it just really has a loud tone to it).

I could also just buy the smaller shells separately that I need and add them onto the current kit. I could get away with just buying a smaller kick drum, which is about 400 dollars compared to 2,200. But then again, this kick drum would have to be specially made and I wouldn't see it at my door for about 6 months. The shows I need it for are within the time frame I would be waiting :(. Sort of why I leaned to just buying a new kit so I would have it in a week and ready to go. But then again... it is 2,200 dollars and i do have a lot of debt at the moment.

Unfortunately used is not going to happen, I can't find any used that are the sizes and shell material that I need. The kit I need is custom built and once people get them they typically never sell it because its built specific to them.

I think I'll just suck it up, buy the kick drum to add-on to my current kit, and try to quiet down my current setup as much as I can.

Thanks for the replies, it really helps to write this all down on a thread and get feedback. :)

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »
Why do you need a specifically custom made kit? Can't you just, say, get a decent-quality 18" whatever and at least it would be quieter than what you have?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems like it has to be all or nothing, and I'm wondering if there's a comfortable middle ground. In my husband's world, there's also a lot of drum/guitar/amp trading around that happens when someone has a specific need. Just wondering if anything like that would exist for you.

But I really do get the love of playing and wanting a new instrument that fits your needs perfectly. Once you're out of debt, I'll be all over supporting you in getting one.   :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
Are you paying taxes on this side income?  If so, you should also consider the tax deductibility of the instrument

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »
One of the biggest lies my hubby told me was, "I am not a gear slut." 

I guess I'm missing out on why you need this exact kit?  What's the difference between the Holy Grail here and, say, an upper line Pearl kit that is reasonably priced, easy to find used, and will sound good enough. 

And once you're in a position to spend more on the Holy Grail kit you could sell the do-fer for close to what you paid for it. 

Full disclosure, in the last two years we've bought 3 guitars, 1 drum kit, a couple of amps and a PA.  I'm sick of spending money on gear.  And mics.  And cables. 

Polket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
Haha, yeah... see this is exactly why I made this thread. You guys have knocked some sense in me.

Once I'm out of debt I'll buy the custom kit :). But the need for it is to have the exact sound I'm looking for. Each drum size has a different pitch and sound, and you can get very nit picky about it; and that's all I'm doing. Not to mention the smaller size is definitely better for smaller venues.

But, I have decided to just buy an add-on kick drum that is the same material/finish as my current kit. This kick drum is only 400 bucks and will take 6 months to be made and delivered, and it will solve the situation.

@ dragoncar: I don't pay taxes usually, but once or twice a year I'll get paid in check which is traced. That is a good thought, but the under-the-table amount of gigs outweigh the taxed ones.

Loud Noises

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:37:38 AM »
Polket,

Hello fellow drummer!  I completely understand your dilemma and I think you're making the best possible choice.  I play drums with a big artist and I still fight the gear/budget battle on a regular basis.  ANYTHING can get complicated when it's a combination of hobby/passion/business/write-off.

I would say that almost any time, look to the used market for something that will fit your needs.  My main snare on my current tour is a 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic that I paid $100 for on Ebay for a shell with lugs and rims.  It took an afternoon of work, some heads and parts and it still kills just as much as a new $500 one.  I have picked up just about everything imaginable used... cymbals, drums, mics, cases, you name it.  Sometimes new is the way to go, but it's rarely my first choice unless I'm dealing directly with the company in a product endorsement situation. 

If you'd like, feel free to list the specs of your current gear, and what your new needs are and maybe I can help brainstorm even more solutions.

Best of luck with everything!  Most importantly, keep your passion for playing alive!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:48 AM »
So my initial reaction is for you to definitely buy the kit.

Then I look back at your posting history and see you're saving like 15% of your income, and say no way.

But it's 4 months later. Sooo.. how has those past 4 months been?  What's your savings rate now?

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

snareman1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:08:29 AM »
I play drums for a living. Sounds like you are considering fusion drum sizes or something of the like?

Your drum kit will not expand your drumming horizons. Your personality and skill set will. =)

I've never heard of venues where 1 or 2 inches of shell circumference make the difference between getting the gig or not. You may need to book more gigs, adjust your playing style, change sticks, genre or bands.

I play 230 shows a year with my 10" and 14" toms, standard 14" snare and 22" kick, from 300sq ft undergound venues to huge vegas main showrooms and it never matters. If the owner of the venue is complaining about your drum sizes, then they will be out of business soon because they have bigger things to worry about.

Either way, provide some links to what you wanna get and I will see if I can help you find something that meets the criteria without breaking the bank. =)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:38 AM »
Your drum kit will not expand your drumming horizons. Your personality and skill set will. =)

Yes, this!

I have much less experience with drums, but the quality of inexpensive basses and guitars is very high these days.  Easily high enough to be comfortable gigging with.  There's a lot of really cool higher end stuff . . . but owning fancy crap isn't going to make you a better musician.

That said, there's something to be said for owning an instrument that you really love and which inspires you to play more.  If you really feel the need for an upgrade, buy used.  Depreciation on musical instruments is huge going from new to used.  I've been able to sell most of the used stuff I bought a few years later for the same or more than I originally paid for it.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
I used to have a standard kit until I moved into an apartment. Then I bought a Roland electronic kit so the neighbors aren't always mad at me, but I sold the old one which paid for a lot of the new one. I'm starting to feel like I don't even really need the electronic kit now. I'm not very good :-(. I would take lessons but they're expensive.

Loud Noises

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

Yes, this!

Let's hold our horses here guys.... There's no doubt that this statement is true, but if OP is rocking a 26" kick drum in small clubs on small stages, there's no dodging the fact that he should probably get a smaller kick drum.  Always use the right tool for the job!

Edited to add:
I can think of many gigs in the past where I would've been far too loud and ultimately not hired again if I had used my current road setup in a little corner bar.  Right now I use 13/16/18/24 drums and 20" crashes to play arenas and amphitheaters.  If a show gets booked that is for a room of 100 people, I'm probably using 16"/17" crashes, smaller drums, thinner sticks, etc.  I'm fairly sure THIS is what the original post was about, not getting new drums to make himself a better player.  The professional always uses the right tools for the job.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:23:38 AM by Loud Noises »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
All kicks sound the same after you stuff a pillow in 'em and mic to board.  :P