Author Topic: Is it really worth it to buy good paint?  (Read 12511 times)

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
Is it really worth it to buy good paint?
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »
My husband and I are moving into a new house soon. Some of the paint colors do not suit us at all and since this is going to be a long-term home for us we want to repaint a few of the rooms. I've had tons of people tell me it's worth it to invest in a good quality paint because it hold up better over time. When paint shopping I noticed that a "good"paint can be twice as expensive as a regular can at Home Depot. Is it really that noticeable? Plenty of online articles say it is but I'd like to know fellow mustachians perspective. Also, what is your go-to paint?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Is it really worth it to buy good paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »
Yes, it is definitely worth it to me.

Cheaper paint may need two applications to correctly cover a wall. The better paints will need just one coat.

I like Benjamin Moore.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
Yes -we used Valspar at Lowes when we painted our house interior, very worthwhile

Later on, I repainted my kids room with cheap paint, took 2-3 coats instead of 1.

crispy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:36:55 AM »
I think it depends on what you are painting.. I haven't found much difference in the same paint from Walmart versus the pricier stuff. When we painted our kitchen cabinets and trim, we went with the expensive stuff to get a better, more durable finish.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
I was always skeptical of the good paint stores until I started using them.  Now I"m completely converted.
As said above, they have better coverage and need fewer coats, plus they wear a lot better (my experience was with Sherwin Williams & Benjamin Moore).  The employees there are a lot more knowledgeable and helpful about painting surfaces, techniques, top coats, various primers, etc than those working the paint desk at your big-box home-improvement store.  They actually know what deep-primers are and how to custom mix them for both the paint and the surface.

Ironically, I've learned that the increased cost (roughly $20+ more/gallon vs Lowes or HD) is more than made up for with fewer coats and a longer-lasting finish.  I get better results with two galllons of Benjamin Moore paint on top of primer than I do with 3 gallons of big-box-store stuff, and I finish a day earlier.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:11 AM »
Another yes. One of the ways we saved money when we built our house was to do the interior painting ourselves. I am an amateur when it comes to painting and was worried I wouldn't do a good job. We repainted rooms in our previous house before we sold it, with Home Depot paint. It looked okay -- but we were painting the same colors again and the drips/streaks weren't that noticeable.

For the new house I bought Benjamin Moore paint (I think it was Aria or something like that.) What a difference!  The stuff glided on like velvet, blended perfectly and was much, much easier to work with. I got a lot of compliments on the paint job. Plus, we had several rooms with dark colors (navy blue and red) and the expensive stuff covered in only two coats. At my old house, I had a red wall and it took 5 coats of the Home Depot paint to get the color right.

Another thing if you are doing a whole house and want to change colors -- the Benjamin Moore store had a decorator on staff who helped me choose the colors for my house as a free service. I brought in floor plans and fabric samples and photos and she sent me home with a bunch of samples. I am very happy with the results.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »
Awesome thanks for all the great info everyone! Looks like I'll be hitting up my local paint store soon to pick up some samples and figure out what we need. Thanks again guys!

J_Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
No matter how good the paint, always used two coats.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Yes, always worth it to pay the extra 20-30% premiums for good paint. It covers better, is easier to apply, lasts longer, and looks better too. A good way to save is to see if they have any excess inventory (i.e. prepared the wrong color) and you can take it off their hands for a discount.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
Always used 2 coats as well, with any paint - I tried HD Behr, HD "regular", expensive BenMoore. One coat just wasn't up to my standards

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »
Absolutely worth it. I've used Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore--would recommend either highly. Take your time to research and experiment with paint samples of colors and of finishes. (I like eggshell finish on the walls and semi-gloss for the trim.) Every house is different. Get paint chips and then the little containers of sample paint. Paint the colors you are considering onto big pieces of posterboard, and then try the posterboards in different areas of the house as the light changes morning/afternoon/evening. Also remember that color names vary from brand to brand. Sherwin Williams Navajo White is not the same as Benjamin Moore Navajo white, for example.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
Absolutely worth it. I've used Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore--would recommend either highly. Take your time to research and experiment with paint samples of colors and of finishes. (I like eggshell finish on the walls and semi-gloss for the trim.) Every house is different. Get paint chips and then the little containers of sample paint. Paint the colors you are considering onto big pieces of posterboard, and then try the posterboards in different areas of the house as the light changes morning/afternoon/evening. Also remember that color names vary from brand to brand. Sherwin Williams Navajo White is not the same as Benjamin Moore Navajo white, for example.

+1 for egg shell on the walls and semi-gloss for trim.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
I think it's worth it to get mid-range (i.e., big-box-high-end) paint, but I'm not sure "paint-store paint" is worth it. I always liked Olympic Premium from Lowes. (It's since been replaced with Olympic One, I think, but I haven't tried that yet.)

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
The components of a paint job are (if you were hiring someone...):

1.  Labor ($30+ per man hour)
2.  Paint  (maybe $20-$40 per gallon)

Because there is so much labor involved, the extra money spent on better paint is a "drop in the bucket".  Yes, it will last MUCH longer.  I painted my condo with Benjamin Moore in 2004 and 2005 and the paint is still good.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
Also, keep in mind that painting light color over dark will never give good results with one coat, no matter how good the paint is. Painting dark over light could work in 1 coat for most paints

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
Yes, worth it as others had already mentioned. Also worth it to buy the better quality brushes Ana rollers. The paint will go on more evenly, smoothly, and with fewer drops. When you are done with a brush put it under running water for a few minutes, then wash it very well, then dry it at a slight incline (bristles pointed down) and you'll get more use out of it. Rollers are a PITA to clean so I toss them after each use.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 06:00:55 AM »
Some of my favorite go-to paint has been sold at Walmart.  It's just held up really well over the years.  Some of the more expensive brands we've been disappointed with. 

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »
We recently switched to using Sherwin Williams after using Lowes and HD mid tier paints for years.  We switched for a more durable finish on the kitchen cabinets, but have found that between the quality differences and the constant coupons and sales (usually 40% off every holiday week, sometimes more often) and rewards program (I think they put me in their system and I get at least 10% off almost everything at a minimum - no idea why, they definitely know I'm not a contractor) at Sherwin Williams, it is only marginally more expensive (if at all) and a much higher quality. it also helps that it's way more easy for us to bike to.  We should have switched years ago.  =)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »
We used Lowes paint 6.5 years ago when we bought our house, still looks good. No need yet to repaint.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
Yes.

Last time we painted a condo, we started with 1 coat of killz primer. Followed by two coats of the mid-tier Benjamin more. We used the top tier Benjamin Moore for the white trim. Looks very good. High quality stuff. Good rollers are also important. Just do it right once instead if going cheap and redoing every 5 years :). We did all the labor ourselves and probably spent close to $2500 to do a 1300sqft condo (wall, trim, ceiling, and all equipment). Not sure I will ever paint again though, especially not the ceilings!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Hell yes.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
I vote no. With good surface prep, sanding between coats, and the right technique, your results will be fine so long as your using decent paint (shouldn't have contractor or value in the name). Also if you're painting wood, use floetrol do eliminate brush marks

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Yes, worth it as others had already mentioned. Also worth it to buy the better quality brushes Ana rollers. The paint will go on more evenly, smoothly, and with fewer drops. When you are done with a brush put it under running water for a few minutes, then wash it very well, then dry it at a slight incline (bristles pointed down) and you'll get more use out of it. Rollers are a PITA to clean so I toss them after each use.

You can throw the brushes and rollers in the freezer if you're just painting the same color later.

Another vote for Aura paint! It is a joy to roll it on and covers beautifully. Also it doesn't stink/ruin your respiratory system like a lot of the others do.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »

You can throw the brushes and rollers in the freezer if you're just painting the same color later.

Another vote for Aura paint! It is a joy to roll it on and covers beautifully. Also it doesn't stink/ruin your respiratory system like a lot of the others do.

You can also wrap them in Glad Press and Seal. I just painted my condo over the course of a week and just used press and seal on the brushes/trays. I only washed them when I changes colors and it worked great.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Aura was the paint I used (not Arial). I loved that I could cut in the whole room with a brush, then go back with the roller, and it blended perfectly. Touch-ups later also blended in.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »
Absolutely worth it, would never go back.  But I'm not sold on Benny Moore.  Here (Canada), HD or other chains (Lowes equivalent) paint is $30-40/gal, Sherwin Williams is $60, BM is $80.  The extra premium for BM isn't worth it IMHO.  The pros here (DH is in construction) use Sherwin Williams; they only use BM if a designer orders it.  And then they make fun of the designers choosing the overpriced marketing frou-frou stuff. :)  But paint-store quality is WAY better than hardware store quality any way you slice it.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
For interior work, I don't think the quality of paint matters as much. I've used MetroPaint inside, where they take all the latex paint people in Portland throw away, mix it all up, and dye it certain colors. It did take two coats, but it was better for the environment, very inexpensive, and looks great.

But for exterior work, I want something a little bit sturdier, that will last longer.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »
Thinking back to the last three times I or my daughter have hired professionals, they all specified that they use Sherwin-Williams. Looked/looks great, too.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »
Thinking back to the last three times I or my daughter have hired professionals, they all specified that they use Sherwin-Williams. Looked/looks great, too.

S/W fan here as well.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
Another vote for Benjamin Moore

Dont be a penny wise and a pound foolish.   Most things with high labor investment deserves premium parts.   (im thinking of autozone value type car parts as I write this, I have friends who insist its a great deal as they change the same part for the 3rd time...)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Good question.

I recently had the house repainted using a high quality paint, rather than the cheaper stuff we used to use.

It's supposed to last longer.

I'll let you know if it worked in 10 years. :)

zoltani

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:38 PM »
+1 for Benjamin Moore Aura. I almost shit when I saw the price, but unfortunately the color I wanted only came in that line. However, one gallon covered a huge living room/dining room combo, only one coat needed. HIGHLY recommended. 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
We used Behr Marquee (the nicest stuff at Home Depot) on the entire interior of our house in a semi-gloss finish. Paired with microfiber rollers, it was one coat coverage even over this weird maroon in the guest bedroom. Two years later and it still looks brand new. Highly recommend.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »
I painted my house myself, and used the paint Consumer Reports ranked the highest that year:  Valspar from Lowes.
NO REGRETS!! 

Taped up windows, used a 'painters buddy' (big plastic over-spray guard), and a Wagner PaintCrew(tm). 
The prep work was harder than the actual painting, and clean up. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »
The prep work was harder than the actual painting, and clean up.

No doubts.  I don't mind painting, but it can be dragging to spend hours prepping and cleaning.

StashthatCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »
Definitely worth it.  We just painted our kitchen with more expensive paint ($30 per can instead of the cheap Walmart stuff at like $17-$20 per can).  I personally think it made a big difference.  It seems like the more expensive paint you can make it stretch further.  We bought a whole gallon thinking we would for sure use it up and ended up only using about half of it.  All in all it's worth it.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Worth it!!
Do the research....

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
It's worth it! The paint I bought from Rodda covered well with only two coats. The paint from Home Depot took 3 or 4. So in the end I didn't really save money since I had to buy more paint for the extra coats plus painting the extra coats cost more time/labor.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:04:23 PM by QueenV »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 05:16:04 AM »
I would go with higher end stuff. When we painted our previous house before we sold it, we actually found some good deals at Sherwin Williams. I guess they had some sort of (annual?) sale going on. Total we paid about the same price as mid level paint from the Big Box stores. It was much better paint IMO and only took one coat.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 06:41:09 AM »
I'll chime in too, I'm writing this in a room with some fresh Sherwin Williams paint and went through this with two houses.

Benjamin Moore (Berkshire Hathaway company) or Sherwin Williams (which is acquiring Valspar).   Sign up for Sherwin William's newsletter and you can get 20-30% off coupons consistently.  We went with Sherwin because the stores were more convenient and I like their four number codes .

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »
The other thing to consider is the service.

I don't have the best design eye. You go to a SW store, they'll help you pick a color. I once started painting, and my color was off. I took it back and the store employee spent a long time with me fixing the color. The paint workers at the big box stores basically know how to plug the codes into the mixing machines and that's it.

I got on the SW email list and bought all the paint once it hit 30% off or more, then brought it back later to be mixed once I picked a color. The store employees were able to tell me a best guess of what the best sale would be in the next 6 months, so I knew what to keep an eye out for.

I was generally able to paint one coat, unlike previous experiences using HD paint.

Also, run far far away from Behr deck stain.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »

I got on the SW email list and bought all the paint once it hit 30% off or more, then brought it back later to be mixed once I picked a color.

That's a great idea! When you buy the paint, they'll mix it for free. I have a gallon I saved when it was cheap, with plans to have it mixed in the color I need it later for repairs.  I never thought about stocking up on paint ahead of a project just because it was on sale.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!