Author Topic: Is it possible to save money on Sea World tickets?  (Read 3870 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Is it possible to save money on Sea World tickets?
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
We are looking at taking our son to Sea World in Austin in October.  Anyone know of any hacks? Of course he just turned three, so it will be $55 for him. :(

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
Re: Is it possible to save money on Sea World tickets?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 05:04:22 AM »
This doesn't really answer your question, but our son is that age and we just took him to Sea World. He did not enjoy it. In my opinion he was too young. Museums geared toward kids--where there is an opportunity for them to get out and play have gone over much better at this age. And they are cheaper, too!

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Sea World is in San Antonio not Austin.  There are plenty of coupons out there if you look around.  Also I've bought them with my Chase UR points on their travel portal.  It's listed under activities.  Just look up San Antonio.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
Sea World is in San Antonio not Austin.  There are plenty of coupons out there if you look around.  Also I've bought them with my Chase UR points on their travel portal.  It's listed under activities.  Just look up San Antonio.

Haha, yes I did know that! :) Good to know about Chase points! I will look that up! I have googled for coupons without much luck so far.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
AAA or whatever the Auto Club is called in your neck of the woods. Also, try Living Social or Groupon. Costco sells discount passes and the selection varies constantly regionally. If you're a member, ask them to look up any warehouses where they're offered.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
This doesn't really answer your question, but our son is that age and we just took him to Sea World. He did not enjoy it. In my opinion he was too young. Museums geared toward kids--where there is an opportunity for them to get out and play have gone over much better at this age. And they are cheaper, too!

I agree with you. We took our son to the zoo when he was 3, and he did not enjoy it much. He did enjoy the little playground area in the zoo lol.

We took him to Sea World in Orlando when he was 6, and he loved it. I think if we took him to SW when he was 3, he would not like it as much.

Kids museum is the best imo. They get to play, and it is focused to entertain young kids. 

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »

I agree with you. We took our son to the zoo when he was 3, and he did not enjoy it much. He did enjoy the little playground area in the zoo lol.

We took him to Sea World in Orlando when he was 6, and he loved it. I think if we took him to SW when he was 3, he would not like it as much.

Kids museum is the best imo. They get to play, and it is focused to entertain young kids.

What about it did he not enjoy? We are going with my niece, who is 8. It seems like something he would enjoy. Of course I've never been, so I'm no even sure what to expect.

Hermione76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
Hi -- I know you didn't ask about this, but I would really urge you to not visit SeaWorld or similar places. SeaWorld is a terrible place for the animals that live there. If you're interested in learning more, please watch the documentary Blackfish, about the orca Tilikum, or The Cove, which is where dolphins are often "sourced" from.

Here are some articles from reputable organizations:

NatGeo:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150329-orca-blackfish-seaworld-dolphins-killer-whales-ngbooktalk/#

Smithsonian Magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-killer-whales-belong-in-the-ocean-not-seaworld-180954333/

The Dodo: https://www.thedodo.com/seaworld-orcas-peel-skin-off-each-other-1498617162.html

Thanks for considering taking your children elsewhere!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:56 PM »

What about it did he not enjoy? We are going with my niece, who is 8. It seems like something he would enjoy. Of course I've never been, so I'm no even sure what to expect.

He did not say he did not like the zoo when he was 3. But I can see he was not excited about it. Lets see an elephant, and he is like ok cool.. next? I think when he get older, and started to learn about animals then he started to get curious, and wanted to learn more and see in real life. He love visiting Sea World but at that time he was 6. I would say yours who is 8 would enjoy Sea World.

He liked children museum better (he still does), but especially when he was younger. Lots of things to do and touch and feel and make noise. At the zoo, he is just watching things, and that was probably why he was not as excited.

And yes I saw Blackfish too - I do not think this is the thread to talk about this. You should start a new thread if you feel that strongly about it.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
Check out the Thinkery in Austin for a better three-year old experience. It's mostly indoors, so no need to worry about weather. My 4 year old nephew LOVED it. There's a water room where they get to put on rain gear and splash, pour, and dump water to their heart's content. They have Lego's and trains and an outdoor climbing/play/splash area and a play kitchen.... It's a very cool place. Bring a change of clothes for the little one.

ETA - It's only $10/person so lots of money saved over SW
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:40:19 AM by GoConfidently »

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Hi -- I know you didn't ask about this, but I would really urge you to not visit SeaWorld or similar places. SeaWorld is a terrible place for the animals that live there. If you're interested in learning more, please watch the documentary Blackfish, about the orca Tilikum, or The Cove, which is where dolphins are often "sourced" from.

NatGeo:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150329-orca-blackfish-seaworld-dolphins-killer-whales-ngbooktalk/#

Smithsonian Magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-killer-whales-belong-in-the-ocean-not-seaworld-180954333/

The Dodo: https://www.thedodo.com/seaworld-orcas-peel-skin-off-each-other-1498617162.html

+1000

smallstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

+1000

Blackfish was fake news. Always loved my trips to Sea World in Orlando and San Antonio, even with a then-3 year old.