Author Topic: Is it ever worth confronting asshole drivers?  (Read 4379 times)

Thegoblinchief

Is it ever worth confronting asshole drivers?
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Edit: fat fingers! Posted this incomplete.

So, in the past couple weeks I've had a few close calls on the bike, but the worst offenders were people who yelled at ME despite them being blatantly in the wrong. Is it ever worth escalating this incidents? I know I'll never educate fuck-all but when my and my family's safety is at stake, I get all Poppa Grizzly Bear.

1. Had to lock up brakes when teenagers walked across path in front of us without even looking (and this is a BUSY bike and pedestrian path) I said "hey, watch where you're walking" and their asshole parent had the nerve to tell me that I was rude for saying that.

2. Old lady tried nudging us out of a crosswalk when my kids were (slowly) entering the intersection and we had full right of way. As we cross, she says "blah blah why didn't you stop" and sped off. I fucking blew up at her but didn't want to turn around and chase her down.

3. Coming home last night I had to lock up when a neighbor came out of the alley, floored it through my intersection. I was turning left and they had a stop sign (ignored) and they blew the stop sign where my kids usually play (but it was late at night) going at least 45. They are often outside in their backyard, and if they'd been home today while we were biking, I was so tempted to tell them what an insane fuck up they were.

Grr. I know there are other road rage threads in the past on here but felt like venting.

Edit: locking this thread, since all of the (quite correct) advice is the same.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:03:04 PM by Thegoblinchief »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Is it ever worth confronting asshole drivers?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Nope.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
Thank you for calling me a fucking asshole, sir.  I now understand the fault in my actions and will fully comply with all traffic laws including right of way from now on.  You're a scholar and a saint.

Is that how you expect the interaction to go?  More or less formal?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
Quote from: Thegoblinchief
Hard to be angry when you're on your bike

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
But seriously, if by "escalating the incidents", you mean filing a police report with a video of what happened, that could be worth while.  Otherwise, I think you already know how confronting people when they're in their 2 ton steel cage will turn out.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »

I know, I know, but damn not lately... sigh. Maybe it's a side effect of coming off my SSRI, though I do feel much better overall.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Nope. especially when the kids are with you. Danger to them and bad influence.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »
Never worth it, but I've had a few instances like it.

1.  Guy in convertible.  8am.  There's a section of road in the city where the roads AND sidewalks are cramped, but bicyclists have to get through it anyway.  There was someone biking in front me, just behind the convertible.  He starts swerving back and forth in his lane so that neither of us can get around, and yells at the other biker when she goes to the left side.  (Law in the city is cars should give bikes 3 ft of space.)

2.  Guy in hummer sitting at a red light with little traffic.  I start looking around left and right for a space, decide to wait.  Hear the guy in the Hummer yelling "Don't you go scratching my paint job.  I spent a lot of money on that!"  Space clears up and I eventually pass him, he honks at me.

Douchey cars for douchey guys.  Everyone else is pretty conscious of bikers, or at least wouldn't do anything intentionally.  These sort of guys?  I'm afraid they'd become violent if I said anything.  So I just ignore it and be as safe as I can.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »

I know, I know, but damn not lately... sigh. Maybe it's a side effect of coming off my SSRI, though I do feel much better overall.

Glad you feel better after coming off it.  That sounds like quite a win.  Perhaps awareness will rise in coming years, even due to your family's presence on the road, but as it is, it's unsafe, and it sucks.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
OP, do you have a hankering to get shot or run over?  No?  Then give a one-finger salute if you feel the need and continue on your way.