Author Topic: Is CareSource Health Insurance Good?  (Read 9175 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Is CareSource Health Insurance Good?
« on: January 05, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
I'm newly FIRE'd and will sign up for insurance on the federal exchange this Monday. There are three providers of Silver plans, lowest cost by far is CareSource, ranging from (after subsidy) $27 to $139 in monthly premiums.

The other two providers are Anthem Blue Cross and Humana. They range from (after subsidy) $187 to $221 in monthly premiums.

This year all I used my health care for was a flu shot. But I'm old enough that things could take a turn for the worse, not to mention accidents.

So I am wondering if any Mustachians have any experience with CareSource? Do they deny claims, cut corners and generally make using the insurance miserable, or are they a good value?

Or would I be better off paying for Anthem Blue Cross or Humana?

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: Is CareSource Health Insurance Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
Looks like no Mustachians have any experience with CareSource.

So I Googled. Per Wikipedia, they are a regional company that started in Ohio, where their headquarters is currently located.

They were originally a Medicare and Medicaid provider. They have branched out into regular health insurance on the federal exchange in Ohio and a few surrounding states.

Their Dayton OH (home office location) BBB entry has 9 reviews, 100% of which are negative. Also 149 complaints. (And yet, BBB gives them an "A" rating!) A common thread is that once there is an error - such as denying a procedure or a doctor office visit - it cannot be corrected.

https://www.bbb.org/dayton/business-reviews/health-maintenance-organizations/caresource-in-dayton-oh-373

I don't need that kind of a headache. So I went with the cheapest Anthem Blue Cross plan, which is $186 monthly.