Author Topic: Is Car Washing Anti-Mustachian?  (Read 15528 times)

diymark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is Car Washing Anti-Mustachian?
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
I must admit washing the car is low on my To Do list. Many of my neighbors seem obsessed with keeping their vehicles spotless. Whether it means watching precious water (in drought stricken California) run down the driveway or paying for a trip through the car wash tunnel. Seems like an easy way to save a few bucks, which we all know grows into serious money over the years. But then again keeping water away from my 21 year old Toyota pick up is probably a good idea at this point. Where does the group stand on this? Should we all be driving dirty cars?

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is Car Washing Anti-Mustachian?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm terrible about washing my cars, regardless of how old they are.  I've had anywhere from a brand-new Prius down to used cars made 18 years ago.  I think the most frequently I ever washed anything was the Prius, which I washed maybe 5 times a year.  However, I think there's some factors that play into this.

We don't get much weather in the southwest, so it's rare that I even drive in the rain in the first place.  I also have a garage, so dust and rain are generally kept off the car by way of it being in the garage.  Lastly, I work from home now, so I don't even have to take my car out for commuting to work and back.  Vaguely influential is the fact half my cars have been either white or silver, which hides dust very effectively, at least compared to my blue or black cars which show every single spot.

I have generally washed cars myself due to the fact that even though my time is technically worth more than the $25 it costs to go out and have a car washer do my car, $25 is still a lot of money to me when I can do it myself using maybe 10 gallons of water total and $2 worth of cleaning supplies.  As for your concerns of rust, I think you may be mistaken here.  Water doesn't cause rust, salt water does.  Washing your truck regularly to get crud off it may actually help prolong its life.

Besides, if you live more than 2-3 miles from the ocean you're not going to be getting any of the salt anyway, so it's a non-issue.  Inland cars in the non-snow parts simply do not ever rust out.  I've looked at 1st gen Miatas from San Diego and Mazdas of that era are notorious for rusting out and not seen a spot of rust on them if the car was from the more inland part of SD.

I view this under the category of taking care of your stuff being very mustachian.  If you view your car as a throw-away appliance, then not maintaining it or washing it makes sense.  However if you want it to last and protect the resale value, you will need to wash it at least every other month in most parts of the dry southwest and wax it maybe once a year.  Still peanuts compared to the overall true cost of car ownership in the first place.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
Paying to go through the car wash tunnel every week is anti-Mustachian. Hand-washing doesn't need to use that much water if you do it right, and costs very little. It's all a matter of degree. The Seattle rain keeps my car looking decent most of the time, but I will wash it if it genuinely looks bad. This tends to happen once or twice a year.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
My car is absolutely filthy, but I refuse to waste the water to wash it.  It'll rain soon enough.  But my main reason is the drought, not the money.  It costs almost nothing to wash a car by hand. 

I don't have a lawn, but if I did, I could get a free "Brown Is The New Green" lawn sign to make sure why all my neighbors knew why my yard looked so pitiful.  You know, because obviously you need to post an excuse to not water your lawn in an arid part of the country.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »
My area is desert and I live in an apartment, so I don't have a garage to shelter my car or easy access to a hose. My car gets really dirty from all of the dust that blows around, which I can't stand. I try to wash every 1-2 weeks in one of those self-serve, non-automatic car washes. For $2 a shot ($3 the one week a month I vacuum out the inside), it's worth it to me have a semi-clean car. I bring along a towel to dry off the outside and wipe down the inside surfaces.

Before I started watching my spending I used to do the $20 deluxe automatic car washes, complete with the inside being completely cleaned by someone else, but the value for the cost just isn't there for me.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
We are being encouraged not to wash cars here in CA but I never bother anyways. I just clean the windows at the gas station or in the driveway from time to time. I'd rather clean out the inside of the car since I spend more time there.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
Dirt/grime/grease holds moisture, and moisture destroys.  I look at a vehicle as a tool and if you want a tool to last a long time you keep it clean.  That being said I'm horrible at washing vehicles, so I'd recommend doing as I say not as I do.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
What do you think you're preventing from being destroyed Ryan?  The paint job?  It's not like you're going to get rust around here. 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »
What do you think you're preventing from being destroyed Ryan?  The paint job?  It's not like you're going to get rust around here.

Yea I thought of that after I posted, depends on where you are.  Up until 3 years ago I lived in Ohio, corrosion kills many a car there, and my roommate had many rusty tools.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
When I had a car, I washed it once a year.

Washing costs either money or time, and I agree that it isn't good for the environment. If someone judges me on how clean the exterior of my car is, I'm not sure I'd value their positive opinion. A car is a means of transportation. As long at the cleanliness doesn't affect the performance of the car as a transportation tool, I see little reason to clean it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
My car is absolutely filthy, but I refuse to waste the water to wash it.  It'll rain soon enough.  But my main reason is the drought, not the money.  It costs almost nothing to wash a car by hand. 

I don't have a lawn, but if I did, I could get a free "Brown Is The New Green" lawn sign to make sure why all my neighbors knew why my yard looked so pitiful.  You know, because obviously you need to post an excuse to not water your lawn in an arid part of the country.
South Eastern Australia recently recovered from a 10 year drought. In many parts, water restrictions were such that no-one was allowed to wash their car, and all car wash places had to recycle their water to be in business.

Lawns were not allowed to be watered unless you used grey water (from your shower or washing machine). Anyone with a green lawn had signs up saying "grey water in use" or "recycled water"... I find it astounding that you have to put up a sign if you are not watering your lawn!

Most places still have permanent water restrictions, which include only being able to water the lawn at certain times of the day.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
Once every two to three weeks for my wife's car and mine by hand inside and out. I've got the time. It makes me feel better....better than an extra five fifteen minutes per week of watering our lawn.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:26:30 PM by RapmasterD »

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
Washing the car is good and not out of line with a frugal lifestyle. If you want to keep your car from rusting out and for it to hold value you'll keep it clean. If the paint is decent then a good paste wax a couple times a year goes a long way to protecting the paint. Keeping the inside clean keeps the carpet from getting nasty/worn out and in general from smelling unpleasant. Good cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush cleans the nasty that accumulates in the vinyl texture. Perhaps most important for those of us who get snow is keeping the underside clean, at least thoroughly hosing or pressure washing, and occasionally hitting any bare metal or rusty spots with a wire brush and then some rust converting primer followed by paint. Cars should last a lifetime, but around here many just rust away until they're unsafe and scrapped.

Personally I shoot for once a month full clean inside and out though usually doesn't end up that often and good paste wax at least once a year before snow season and hose/clean underside a few times over the winter to keep the salt/grime/mud at bay. Keeps my 30+ year old junk looking presentable... And for me it's relaxing and rewarding. It's a cheap way to spend an afternoon and feels so much nicer to drive a clean vehicle. I've never paid to have my car washed and never would. The drive through I assume is cheap but doesn't do a good job and to have a proper wash costs way too much and deprives me the satisfaction of a job well done.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
We almost never wash our cars.  If we do it ourselves it is essentially free (private well) but it just doesn't climb to the top of the to do list very often.

That said, an occasional car wash is not an anti mustachian activity.  Weekly washes or monthly detailing in the other hand probably is.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
I used to wash mine every other week but I've been slacking lately.  Honestly while I value the Mustachian ideals, I don't go around asking myself if every activity I partake in is against Mustachianism or not, so I don't think I could answer your question.  I just used up my last container of car wash soap... it was $7 and lasted me about 2.5 years.  The microfiber sponge and towel probably put my total close to $15. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »
My personal goal is to never wash my current car until the day before I try to sell it. I vacuum the inside where I spend time, and I clean the windows so that I can see, but that's it. Also, all that road grime can include metals and other toxins that are better off going through the treatment system at reputable car washes than into the storm drains. This is especially true if you are using soap. If your storm sewers route through the treatment system (some do), then it probably doesn't matter.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Dirt/grime/grease holds moisture, and moisture destroys.  I look at a vehicle as a tool and if you want a tool to last a long time you keep it clean.  That being said I'm horrible at washing vehicles, so I'd recommend doing as I say not as I do.

This. I try to wash the car every few weeks in winter. The salt in the northeast is horrible. My last two vehicles were junked due to rust from salt. I could care less what it looks like. Oh and I always go through the drive through thingy. Only time I need it washed is when there is snow and then I can't do it myself since the hose is off and buried under snow. I never wash in summer.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
Washing costs either money or time, and I agree that it isn't good for the environment. If someone judges me on how clean the exterior of my car is, I'm not sure I'd value their positive opinion. A car is a means of transportation. As long at the cleanliness doesn't affect the performance of the car as a transportation tool, I see little reason to clean it.

+1

If my car is exposed to salt (because we go to the coast or because of winter road treatments), I make a reasonable effort to wash it, particularly the bottom.  Otherwise I don't.

I prefer for my stuff to serve me and not the other way around.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
I like washing the car.  Usually I rinse it with a hose to get dust off, and spray up close to blast off any bugs.  It takes just a few minutes, not much water, and I really enjoy having a clean car!  I vacuum the inside too, once a month or so, clean out any stray rubbish at the same time, and once a quarter or so I'll wipe off the inside surfaces (with diluted vinegar, same as in my home).

It's a really great "clean sheet" feeling when it all comes together.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
There are studies which show that clean cars are less likely to be hit in accidents.  This jives with my personal philosophy that things you take care of last longer and are taken care of (respected) by others.  Car washes recycle the water if you worry about that sort of thing.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
There are studies which show that clean cars are less likely to be hit in accidents.

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
I can see both sides of this discussion. Personally, I don't wash my car very often at all. My main concern is whether I can see out of the windows, and if that gets so bad that the wipers won't take care of it, there's always the window washing thingies at the nearest gas station.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 03:58:05 AM »
Since I don't live in a a salty place, I regard car washing as a complete waste of time, water, and money. Unrepaired crash damage aside, I've never had a spot of rust on any car, and I've never driven anything newer than nine years old, some more than twenty years old.

In the absence of salt, washing just isn't an issue of anything other than appearance (current vehicle is a dusty gold, anyway). The ocean salt issue is one I'd never thought of, and well taken. If I should drive to a beach again someday, I'll make a point of rinsing off the salt once I leave.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »
There are studies which show that clean cars are less likely to be hit in accidents.

How many of these bedsheet deaths is related to infants though?  If so, on the serious side, that is not a laughing matter as SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is too common.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
"Is Car Washing Anti-Mustachian?"

Yes.  For the following reasons:

1- Waste of amazing drinking water.  As the sparkling delicious water is jetting out of your hose, think of people in countries that don't have access to potable or reliable water sources.  Also, think of the energy and cost associated with purifying water that you literally throw down the drain.

2 - Waste of time.  There are better things to do with it.  If having a sparkly car makes you feel good...I think perhaps one should ask why that is so.

3 - Waste of money on: soap, washing brushes/mittens etc, tire scrub brushes, waxes, tire sprays and all the other crap that tends to go along with washing cars.

If rust is a concern:  be smarter with your car purchase.  Buy a galvanized car like Audi, VW, Citroen, Passat (there are probably others...).  Our 11 year old VW Jetta doesn't have a speck of rust on it despite never washing, storing outside and salt laden winter roads.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 06:22:02 AM »
My car gets a car wash for free every week or so - it's called rain.

Caella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
I usually wash my car once or twice a year when i do the preventive maintenance/oil change.

Sometimes i wash more if the car wash is cheaper than parking on where i'm going. Then i leave the car to wash, go do whatever i need to do and come back to a clean car, for less than i would have paid to just park.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »
When I owned a car, while not obsessive about it, I want my car reasonably clean.

It is not good for the paint to keep a dirty car, especially when there's road salt.  If you don't clean the interior, the upholstery and carpet gets smelly and gross.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
"Is Car Washing Anti-Mustachian?"

Yes.  For the following reasons:

1- Waste of amazing drinking water.  As the sparkling delicious water is jetting out of your hose, think of people in countries that don't have access to potable or reliable water sources.  Also, think of the energy and cost associated with purifying water that you literally throw down the drain.

2 - Waste of time.  There are better things to do with it.  If having a sparkly car makes you feel good...I think perhaps one should ask why that is so.

3 - Waste of money on: soap, washing brushes/mittens etc, tire scrub brushes, waxes, tire sprays and all the other crap that tends to go along with washing cars.

If rust is a concern:  be smarter with your car purchase.  Buy a galvanized car like Audi, VW, Citroen, Passat (there are probably others...).  Our 11 year old VW Jetta doesn't have a speck of rust on it despite never washing, storing outside and salt laden winter roads.

Agree.  My 9 year old Honda with 175k+ miles that has never seen a garage only gets washed when I get the oil changed (the $17 oil change shop gives a coupon for a free wash).  I live in Detroit, MI and we salt the crap out of our roads for about 5 months a year.  It doesn't show any signs of rust. 

Definitely anti-mustachian.  Huge waste of resources and money. 

Wargent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
I can understand the argument for water conservation, especially in drought stricken areas. But everywhere else? How is cleaning and taking care of possibly the second biggest investment next to your home anti mustachian? Even if you don't live in salt-laden New England like I do, leaving dirt and grime on your vehicle still leads to scratches and other damage to your paint. Your not only destroying your cars protective layer, your also tanking it's re-sale value. You might think it looks good from a distance but anyone with even slight automotive knowledge will spot your swirls, scratches, or peeling paint no problem. Invest $20 in car wash gear, check out /drive clean on YouTube if you need advice, and wash your car at least once a month if you value the most expensive tool in your garage. Neglecting it isn't frugal.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »
A 21 year old Toyota pickup deserves some love once in a while.  Wash by hand gently using a shut off noozle and plenty of soap.  Then wax with canuba wax twice a year.  We did this to my friends truck, who hadn't touched it in 10 years.   It looked amazing.    The cost will be like 10 bucks per year.  The time 4 hours.   So skip a night of TV twice a year. 

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
I can understand the argument for water conservation, especially in drought stricken areas. But everywhere else? How is cleaning and taking care of possibly the second biggest investment next to your home anti mustachian? Even if you don't live in salt-laden New England like I do, leaving dirt and grime on your vehicle still leads to scratches and other damage to your paint. Your not only destroying your cars protective layer, your also tanking it's re-sale value. You might think it looks good from a distance but anyone with even slight automotive knowledge will spot your swirls, scratches, or peeling paint no problem. Invest $20 in car wash gear, check out /drive clean on YouTube if you need advice, and wash your car at least once a month if you value the most expensive tool in your garage. Neglecting it isn't frugal.

Cars are not an investment.  Even if they were, they would be one of the worst investments ever.  I won't be reselling my car for years (probably another 8 or 9) at which point it will be about ~20 years old.  The difference in value will be nearly nothing, certainly less than the hundreds of dollars I've saved by not washing and invested over that same time. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
I live in PA, where winters mean salt on the roads.  When I last visited my sister in the Bay Area, I noted that there were so many older cars on the road.  Later, someone told me it was because the road salt used in other climates corrode the metal much faster.  I guess that makes sense.  So in the winter we always think we should give the cars a wash, but with back to back snow storms, it always seems like a bad time to do it.  I think if there is road salt your car is exposed to in the winters, washing is a mustachian thing, otherwise, not mustachian.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
I wash my car about 6 times a year; more often in the winter because of salt on the roads. I use a spot cleaner for bird droppings throughout the year.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »
Heh- I just got my car inspected this morning and the guy asked if I ever drive it- it has so much bird poop and junk on it!  I guess I should get the hose out. I park underneath a tree at home.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »
For the one that stays outside, I alternate b/n washing it myself and paying $5 to go thru car wash 1/2 mile down the road.  Probably 6 total jwashes a year.  The car looks great (resale value).  It's worth it to me.  I'd probably go longer, but the neighbor's pine tree drops needles and some sap.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
My car is absolutely filthy, but I refuse to waste the water to wash it.  It'll rain soon enough.  But my main reason is the drought, not the money.

+1... also I'm lazy, and my commute takes me through a giant cloud of bugs nearly every day so cleanliness would be very short lived. I do clean the windshields when I fill up on gas, and last time I used the squeegee to get off some of the worst bird poop spots since that does eat through the paint if it sits too long. Next time we get a good rain (fingers crossed that will be soon) I plan to pull it out of the carport and maybe take a sponge to some of the worst grime too. I will say I hadn't realized how bad it was until my mom came to pick me up at the airport in it... poor car does look a little unloved!

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
My dad always told me that a car should be washed before weddings and funerals. 

Sometimes I also wash it before a long road trip, just because it feels like a good prep thing to do.

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera still going strong!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »

Cars are not an investment.  Even if they were, they would be one of the worst investments ever.  I won't be reselling my car for years (probably another 8 or 9) at which point it will be about ~20 years old.  The difference in value will be nearly nothing, certainly less than the hundreds of dollars I've saved by not washing and invested over that same time. 

This. I don't plan to sell my car until it is nearly worthless. Why should I obsess about the condition of the paint? I'll wash it if it looks really dirty and I have nothing better to do, but that doesn't happen very often.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
This. I don't plan to sell my car until it is nearly worthless. Why should I obsess about the condition of the paint? I'll wash it if it looks really dirty and I have nothing better to do, but that doesn't happen very often.

Because it will take longer to be nearly worthless?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »

Let's say you average $5 per month from the time you bought your car till the time you sell it in washes/waxes/water/supplies/etc. 

After 20 years that $5 per month ends up being about $2000 assuming you get 10% interest. 

Do you think good paint changes the value of an inexpensive 20 year old car by $2000? 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

I live in an area where cars don't tend to rust out because we rarely salt the roads. Thus any damage to the paint is purely cosmetic in nature and has no chance of affecting the structural or mechanical condition of the car. I plan on keeping the car for as long as it runs well. Once it doesn't, the condition of the paint will have basically no bearing on the value of the car. As was pointed out above, the cost of regularly washing the car could be invested and will more than make up for any amount I lose by selling a non-functional car with various paint defects versus selling a non-functional, spotless car.

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
For ME, regular car washing makes sense. I like my cars and like keeping them clean… and I keep them a long time. All washing is done by hand, not because it’s cheap, (it is) but because I’m way too fanatical to accept the results you get from automated equipment.

The longer road, tree and bird crap is left on a car, the more the finish is damaged. Might not matter to someone who doesn't care, and who's car’s finish is already trashed, but that's not me.

I find that by keeping up with regular washing, I don’t even need to polish or wax and I still have a beautiful finish, even on cars with 10-15-30 year old paint jobs.

But hey, that’s me and I enjoy it. And it does affect resale value, and how quickly it will sell. People love to snatch up cream puffs. Right now I have a 10 year old car that still looks (and of course drives) like new.

If you don't mind a dirty car, a finish that won't look great even after you wash it, and a (sometimes not so minor) drop in resale value, then yeah, don't bother.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
I don't think the act of having a car washed in itself is anti-Mustachian. If it were, then we shouldn't be taking showers, using shampoo, deodorant, etc. Why even waste these resources make ourselves clean? Go find a river and jump in it to clean yourself; it's free!

I think it comes down to how you go about doing it; I'd say washing it yourself or spending/wasting as little as possible to clean your car is Mustachian enough.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
What about waxing? I would have considered waxing very mustachian, as it protects the paint and keeps the car looking nice. I wax my car about twice a year and that is when it gets washed too. I live in Florida though, so the sun really does a number on the paint job. Until my husband and I retire, I want a halfway decent car so the coworkers don't really pay it a second thought.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
I live in California and park outdoors. I wash my car about twice a year (whether it needs it or not!), and clean the interior more often. However, after the last wash, which was a few weeks ago, I noticed that I liked having it clean. It actually made me feel good. So I think I might wash it more often. Cleaning the interior definitely makes it more pleasant to drive. Since I spend a lot of hours of my life in it, it's worthwhile to make that experience more pleasant. I have enough things in my life that are irritants already.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
We live inland so we put the car through one of the commercial wash places once a year or so. I have washed my car hand by years ago, but the water restrictions mentioned by deborah above got me out of the habit (and when I say habit, I mean once or twice a year).

If we happen to go down to the coast then we put the car through the commercial wash place within a week of getting home. Our car is rust free and I'd like to keep it that way.

In answer to the question, unless you live somewhere with a high salt load (eg live right next to the beach) then I think washing weekly is not at all mustachian. It's not about the money for me but the clean potable water used for it and washing soap and whatnot down the drain unnecessarily.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
My car gets a car wash for free every week or so - it's called rain.

hahaha exactly! It hasn't been weekly lately (draught), but I usually go out in the rain and scrub the windows and maybe the whole car if it's toooo dirty. Otherwise, good ole rain does the job alone. :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »

Let's say you average $5 per month from the time you bought your car till the time you sell it in washes/waxes/water/supplies/etc. 

After 20 years that $5 per month ends up being about $2000 assuming you get 10% interest. 

Do you think good paint changes the value of an inexpensive 20 year old car by $2000?

This. That $2,000 is more than I paid for each of my three most recent cars.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
To me very Anti-Mustachian.

Wasting a resource, water, so your car LOOKS great.  I would bet 99% of people wash their car for the look rather than washing it for mechanical reasons.   Also adding soaps and waxes and other fun stuff to the water supply, when not necessary at all. 

My neighbor washes his truck almost every TWO days.  He has probably washed that truck more in a month, than the seven years we have had our car combined.  Speaking of which, I would say I now wash it once a year, unless something out of the ordinary happens to it, and have never washed it more than 3 or 4 times a year. 

I will also add the car is nearly rust free after 7 harsh winters here on the Canadian East Coat, and in fact just about a month ago the attendant at the gas station commented that my car must be new or newly painted because the paint looks so great on it. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!