Author Topic: Is anyone in TN or KS using a FB Health Benefit Plan?  (Read 1166 times)

Snapdragon48

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is anyone in TN or KS using a FB Health Benefit Plan?
« on: January 19, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
Hi Mustachians, I've come across a health insurance option called a Health Benefit Plan offered by Farm Bureau currently offered in TN and KS. Given my situation (healthy, married both in our 30s with a 4-month old) it looks like a good option for my family. So I was curious if anyone here had any experience using this plan?

Thanks!

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is anyone in TN or KS using a FB Health Benefit Plan?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
Plans like this exclude pre-existing conditions x and do NOT offer the coverage the ACA requires.

Many people are ignorant of the important benefits the ACA brought about.
1) You couldn’t be excluded for a pre-existing condition. Believe it or not, before the ACA, some people whose children were born with serious birth defects had their infant denied coverage for a pre-existing condition.  And people were being excluded (or charged twice as much) for simple conditions like hypertension or hypothyroidism.

2) ACA eliminated lifetime caps.Become quadriplegic, or have a child born with cystic fibrosis, and you’d find out a $500k or $1 million dollar cap doesn’t ho that far - then once you hit the cap, you’re uninsured - and uninsurable.

3) ACA requires mental health coverage. One of my kids became anorexic/bulimic at age 12. This was before ACA. I knew parents who mortgaged -and lost - y th heir homes to pay for lifesaving inpatient or residential care. Multiple hospitalizations and bills of several hundred thousand dollars were not unheard of - all out of pocket or minimally covered.

4) Association plans are not REQUIRED to cover anything. If they decide they won’t cover something you have no recourse.

Please don’t cheap out. Get real ACA level insurance. There’s a reason for those protections and you have no idea of the random things that can happen to healthy people and their children.

My boyfriend, a nonsmoker with no chemical or second hand smoke exposure, has stage 4 lung cancer. He ate a healthy Mediterranean diet most of his adult life. Some of the new drugs that are keeping him alive cost $200k a year.

Buy real insurance 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!