Author Topic: Is anyone a handyman for their side gig?  (Read 1980 times)

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
Is anyone a handyman for their side gig?
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
Has anyone who is FIRE become a handyman for the love of fixing things and making a few bucks?

What do you like/hate about the job?
And
Do you find it is even worth your time?

I am finding more and more opportunities to fix minor things for for people. I am just wondering if I should start to do side jobs here and there to make a few dollars.  I find it somewhat appealing because I can pick and choose what I want to work on. The biggest problems I see are 1. Getting paid, and 2. Having call backs if something breaks or does not perform as intended after the fact.

What say you?!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is anyone a handyman for their side gig?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
I’ve thought about this.  I’ve done handyman work for neighbors, they offer to pay, but I have only accepted beers / social capital.

If it got outside my street or 2, maybe I should be charging...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:57:25 AM »
In my country you can yearly do up to 10 tax free handyman jobs, or other house-related jobs for maximum 600$ per job. That is, only if it isn't your normal job. I think it would therefore be very smart to do something like this after FIRE.
DH is very handy and could do technical jobs, I could do cleaning, gardening or other house jobs. Still, I think DH would prefer to do things he enjoys most, doing consultancy work in his specialty and giving courses in his hobby stuff. But those things are taxable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:16 AM »
By the way, my father used to do that. He was a technical building engineer and has painted the house of one of the neighbours once. He has also drawn a house (technical drawing) for an acquaintance.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:35:44 AM »
I am a handyman for my regular job. Depending on the state and what types of projects you take on, you likely don't even need a contractor's license. You *should* have some kind of liability insurance, and that tends to run $70-100/month.

I love that I get to fix things and make people's lives better. I have found that if you're reasonably good at "putting things right" (often a problem solving skillset + plus a knowledge of how to use various tools), and you show up reliably, the customer base is ginormous. Everyone seems to be looking for a good handyman-- contractors/etc. in this type of industry are _notorious_ for not showing up on time or shoddy workmanship or both. (I charge $50/hr, btw)

As far as getting paid, most people are happy to write me a check on the spot, or they'll use venmo to do an instant transfer.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
+1 that a reliable competent handyman who charges a fair price is worth their weight in gold.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
+1 that a reliable competent handyman who charges a fair price is worth their weight in gold.

Yeah. Even if you do work that's "good DIY" level and not "work on million dollar mansions" level; if you just show up on time and are clean, respectful, and actually listen to what the customer wants-- they'll love you to death and recommend you to all their friends.