Author Topic: Is an Iphone 5 worth an extra $100?  (Read 16306 times)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is an Iphone 5 worth an extra $100?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
Durability is probably the #1 concern here and I will keep that in mind. I have not had any issues with other touchscreen devices in my shop (iPod is an early touch model) as what I'm doing doesn't really generate any dust (sharp bits of metal that stick to your clothes, though... ugh) but there's only one way to find out.

Get a case.  I have an Otterbox...I know someone made fun of them earlier but they're really durable.  I ride horses and my iphone takes a ridiculous beating in the barn.  I drop it on concrete, on gravel driveways, it falls out of my pocket while I'm riding (moving at high ish speeds 5+ ft in the air) -- no damage so far.  And I've shattered screens on multiple smartphones that weren't in cases. 

Also, my dad owned a machine shop and always swore by those super durable construction site type flip phones -- he dropped bar stock on one once and crushed it, dropped another in a bucket of coolant, and neither survived.  His new company provides an iphone and he has an Otterbox on it, and works in a similar environment.  He's never had an issue.  Not that it would protect against coolant or a really significant hunk of metal, but it's good for the smaller incidents.

And for the chips, make sure you get a screen protector -- it's just a thickish piece of clear plastic you stick on over the real screen to protect it from scratches and such.  They're like $2 for a 3 pack, super cheap "insurance policy."   

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
If the threshold is $200 and it's for a noble experiment, you dislike the idea of carrying a smartphone, metal dust isn't a major threat, and nothing said has cautioned you on separation of tech on the security end, might I propose an alternative:

A Nikon Coolpix S6500 WiFi enabled digital camera used/refurb for under $70
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2Z0PSA/
A 2013 Nexus 7 with HSPA+ modem (ASUS-1B32-4G) used/refurb for under $130
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK7OEBE/
Unless Ting GSM introduces tablet support after launch, do the Red Pocket $10/month data plan (T-Mobile coverage).
http://goredpocket.com/plans#mobile-internet

It's not an iPhone, it's not even an iPad (though it theoretically could be)... but it is a tablet with current OS updates, NFC and mobile data access which hits the nail on all major usage points (excuse in-house tech support) and leaves you free to keep rocking any featurephone you want. It's also a separate camera that'll take better pictures than any smartphone (or tablet), and can auto-load to the tablet via WiFi (so the time wasted argument is off the table).

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »
Camera quality does change things a bit. From recollection, I think the iPhone's camera is pretty good, probably better than the Moto G I referenced earlier. There are also more kits available to turn it into a more pro-level camera (one will argue it could never be pro, I won't doubt that, but could be "good enough").

I just bought a Lumia 928. I'm pretty impressed with the camera (the Lumia Icon is supposed to have a much better camera, I'm waiting until it drops to below $100 before buying that). I'm not sure how close-up you need your photos to be. I took a picture of my watch and it takes up most of the photo. Any closer and it just can't focus. It's also pretty good at action shots, though I'm guessing your metal work won't be going very fast when you're taking a picture of it. Just for reference, I took a photo during the day of my ceiling fan on high, no blur. Took one again at night with it completely dark (so the phone would use the flash), again no blur.

I won't actually recommend the phone though. App gap is a real thing on Windows Phone. It also won't work on a lot of Verizon MVNOs (basically if they don't let you use a 4G sim, it won't work). But the camera is decent, best I've had on a smartphone (again, note that the only iPhone I've had for any length of time was the original, so the newer ones might be even better, I dunno). It also works on GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and all their MVNOs; I'm using mine overseas with an Australian provider).

Oh, just thought of something else. Perhaps look into a water resistant phone? If water can't get into the phone, then hopefully metallic dust would have problems getting in as well. I know Samsung has at least one water resistant phone. I think Motorola does too.

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
I really don't think it makes any sense to buy a stand-alone camera and a tablet for this particular use case. Unless you are irrationally opposed to just getting a smartphone.

I'm not saying you have to get an iPhone in particular (although that it what I would buy 100% of the time given my own particular preferences). I'm saying that for your particular use case, it doesn't make sense to buy an Android tablet and a stand-alone camera, when you could get a smartphone (could be an Android or even Windows phone - although I wouldn't recommend that) which can do those tasks in "good enough" fashion for the same price or cheaper and be much more usable due to mobility, which is the entire point of having a smartphone.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
certain apps dont work on the 4. I can't install the american airlines app.

I got both the iphone 5 and 6 upgrades and flipped them both on ebay for over 300 profit each when  they came out. I prefer to use the 4 because I can't stand people who have their face in their phone all day with games and other garbage

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!