Author Topic: Is Amazon trade in worth it? [NOT ABOUT BEING A SELLER ON AMAZON]  (Read 5026 times)

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
Going through my collection of books and cds/dvds and for some titles amazon is offering 13 cents. This money is credited to my account.

Is this worth it?

I do have items making more than that, I am just wondering if I should keep the 13 cents titles since I bought them anyways or sell sell sell!

Is their other websites to check?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:37:54 PM by Kaikou »

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
Re: Is Amazon trade in worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
Way better money selling on EBay. They offer about 50-60% of what you can sell it for on EBay.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
I've never found the Amazon trade-in offers to be worth it because I am an Amazon seller.  I can always sell an item directly to another user for 30-50% more than Amazon will offer.  An example is they offered $110 for my wife's iPhone 4S last year.  I sold it to an individual on Amazon for $165.  It requires a little more effort and the assumption of risk, but it has been worth it for me.  I also recommend selling on eBay when there is no market for an item on Amazon.

As to your 13 cent books, really?  Just donate them or throw them away.  That's not worth your time.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
Is ebay free? Or really how do you get started on ebay?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »
I've had good luck with books (mostly textbooks) on half.com (owned by ebay). I believe you can sell cds/dvds there too.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
What do you do with old titles like "the departed".. Is anyone really looking to buy that on ebay?

I don't have the latest movies...

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »
eBay is free to list items up to 50 a month now.  They collect a 10% final-value fee when you sell an item.  Then you have to get your money out through PayPal, who takes another cut.  You also need to consider packaging and shipping cost.   Amazon takes differing fees depending on category, but it usually works out to about 15-20% of the selling price.

Neither eBay nor Amazon are things you just jump into without doing a fair bit of reading first.  And please make sure you understand the terms of service.  The number of clueless Amazon sellers in the Amazon forums is preposterous.  Amazon is much more strict then eBay.  For example, you can't sell items with any parts missing (even redundant or useless ones).  What you are selling must match the item description exactly.  Putting details to the contrary in the listing notes is against the TOS.  A lot of sellers don't know that. 

For example, if you list on the Amazon page for a Widget, color Red; you can't then say "mine is actually blue."  This doesn't stop sellers from doing it all the time.  If a buyer complains, however, the seller will lose the A-Z claim.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
What do you do with old titles like "the departed".. Is anyone really looking to buy that on ebay?

I don't have the latest movies...
Nope.  I'm sorry to say I feel most of your items will be worthless on the secondary market.  Unless they are newer DVDs/BluRays or some kind of niche item, you can't even get rid of them in a garage sale.

Don't you have any "things" to sell?  Like small appliances, tools, purses, watches, etc?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »
I'm just getting rid of books cds dvds at the moment...

Outside of that I don't really have amazon or ebay items, just probably craigslist level stuff. I'm looking for quick sells to just get rid of it. More of a decluttering aspect.

I'll probably just take the 13 cents or whatever I can get from the trade in sites.

Thank you for your help

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
You can try decluttr for cds/dvds.   Might get you slightly more than 13 cents each. 

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
I often find that I can get more money by selling stuff on Amazon myself than
I've never found the Amazon trade-in offers to be worth it because I am an Amazon seller.  I can always sell an item directly to another user for 30-50% more than Amazon will offer.  An example is they offered $110 for my wife's iPhone 4S last year.  I sold it to an individual on Amazon for $165.  It requires a little more effort and the assumption of risk, but it has been worth it for me.  I also recommend selling on eBay when there is no market for an item on Amazon.

As to your 13 cent books, really?  Just donate them or throw them away.  That's not worth your time.

I agree. I sell some stuff on Amazon, and I always find that I can get more by selling it myself through Amazon than by using Amazon's trade-in option. Plus when you sell it yourself, you can get paid in real money instead of Amazon dollars that you may or may not have any reason to spend for some time.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »
You can try decluttr for cds/dvds.   Might get you slightly more than 13 cents each. 

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

THANK YOU!!!

I honestly didn't understand your comment at first but I went to the website and yes definitely more. I'm not making millions or anything but just trying to get some change for my junk to encourage me to get rid of it.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
I often find that I can get more money by selling stuff on Amazon myself than

I agree. I sell some stuff on Amazon, and I always find that I can get more by selling it myself through Amazon than by using Amazon's trade-in option. Plus when you sell it yourself, you can get paid in real money instead of Amazon dollars that you may or may not have any reason to spend for some time.

don't have valuables in books, cds, or dvds. It's just ones I have collected and now that everything is online, or redbox, or youtube. I really don't need to hold on to them. I never use them.

But thanks for more insight about being an amazon seller, that's not what this thread is about though.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
Trade-in is a ripoff.

Do you have a smartphone? If yes, download the Amazon Seller app and scan the UPC codes of your items. You'll see what you could make for each item after fees (ASSUMING it ever sells). There are zillions of copies of most bestselling books and DVDs so their value on the resale market is nil.

You could possibly make a little selling some as "lots" on ebay. You would list things like "LOT Quentin Tarantino Movie Blu-Ray DVDs Kill Bill Reservoir Dogs Pulp Fiction & More!"

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
Trade-in is a ripoff.

Do you have a smartphone? If yes, download the Amazon Seller app and scan the UPC codes of your items. You'll see what you could make for each item after fees (ASSUMING it ever sells). There are zillions of copies of most bestselling books and DVDs so their value on the resale market is nil.

You could possibly make a little selling some as "lots" on ebay. You would list things like "LOT Quentin Tarantino Movie Blu-Ray DVDs Kill Bill Reservoir Dogs Pulp Fiction & More!"

Unfortunately I don't really have collections of things and honestly don't really want to wait around to see if it sells.

Decluttr.com the site mention above is what I was looking for. Amazon trade in is indeed a ripoff

EDIT: SecondSpin looks promising too
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:14:15 PM by Kaikou »

lakemom

• Bristles
Re: Is Amazon trade in worth it? [NOT ABOUT BEING A SELLER ON AMAZON]
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:01 AM »
try someplace like secondspin.com and I know there are a few others out there.  They may give you more than .13 for your cd's.  If not, take the .13 because even that is better than throwing them away.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is Amazon trade in worth it? [NOT ABOUT BEING A SELLER ON AMAZON]
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
I used to sell books and DVDs on amazon.  Over time, they started cutting into the profits with more fees, and also as more sellers enter the marketplace prices go down (great for buyers!)

Now I just donate my used books and DVDs.  Take a tax donation receipt and be done with it.  Even the public library usually has book sales to raise money for their "Friends" organization.  Proceeds get invested back in the library.  It's a win-win.