Author Topic: Irratic Expenses  (Read 3086 times)

slugsworth

• Bristles
Irratic Expenses
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
I've been rehashing my budget and one of the things that I noticed is that in a normal month I've got a pretty high savings rate - but vacation/travel and home repairs are a big piece of my annual budget.

I've taken control of the expenses themsleves by just creating a seperate ING account so at least these are planned expenses, and I know there is no secret, but I'm wondering how other people handle large irratic expenses.

(The home expenses will stop soon enough - but ug.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Irratic Expenses
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Personally my high savings rate means we just pay for erratic expenses out of cash flow, and save a little less that month.

Then our spending jumps around on a graph of expenses (April spikes as taxes are paid, for example), but I have a line that shows the twelve month average, so I know what my average spending is, and annual spending.

Then some months are below, some are above, but I don't really care, I just pay whatever comes up, and save what I can.

Others more methodical than I may try to plan out things by saving monthly for the tax bill they know is coming, or saving for the next vacation, or saving in a car replacement fund.  I just pay for things as they come up.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
Others more methodical than I may try to plan out things by saving monthly for the tax bill they know is coming, or saving for the next vacation, or saving in a car replacement fund.
This is what I do, because my income can be rather erratic (I'm an hourly worker who also does call). I protect myself by making sure I have the funds to pay property taxes, insurances, etc., no matter what's happening at work. When something unexpected does come up, that expense comes out of current cash and I can still pay the tax bill.

When I had a more steady income I didn't worry about it as much. I split my check so that annual and semi-monthly expenses were paid from one account, while I lived off the remainder (I re-checked the amount being split off annually to be sure I sent off enough), and that worked great until my monthly income became erratic.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
In my budget spreadsheet, I categorize expenses by frequency (monthly, bimonthly, annually, > annually) and then variable expenses by category. "Leftover" amounts in each category roll forward to the next month. So I budget for (property taxes / 12) estimation each month and that rolls over until I actually pay the bill. I tried divvying money out to targeted savings accounts for stuff like this, but I found it better for me to keep it all in my checking account and track it in a spreadsheet.

For things that I don't expect at all, I just pay for out of cash flow and put less into savings that month.

My income is high enough that, like arebelspy, I could just pay everything out of cash flow, but I like keeping track. This way, I know how much to add to my checking account each month out of my paycheck and how much I can save.