Author Topic: iphone using airvoice not getting texts  (Read 8033 times)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
iphone using airvoice not getting texts
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
So, I have an iphone (3Gs) and I use airvoice as my carrier. I have the 10/month plan, I can use data, but I normally keep it off and only use it when I really need to and cant get wifi. Which is not often- I dont use the data much. But I am often in areas with no wifi that I can access, or Im driving.

However, Ive encountered a problem- I dont receive many of my text messages from other people, until the phone is back on wifi.
Not too many people text me, but I do rely on it for meeting up with people, dropping of my kids places, letting someone know Im late, and communicating with my husband. Since texts are only 2 cents, Id rather text if I can, than make a call at 2c/min (always rounding up!)

so I did a little looking around and it seems that its to do with iphone and messaging and if an iphone sends a text to me, it chooses messenging which requires data/wifi...

this is a problem!

any advice on a get-around? or how else to deal with this? its a serious drawback.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: iphone using airvoice not getting texts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
I have the same Airvoice plan (on a 4S, though), and don't have any problems with texts.  Almost all of mine are iMessage, though, and since it's much cheaper than texts, I leave cellular data on.  I do turn cellular access off to many apps, though, to keep them from chewing through data.

In Settings -> Message there's a setting "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable".  Perhaps that will help.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
I have the same Airvoice plan (on a 4S, though), and don't have any problems with texts.  Almost all of mine are iMessage, though, and since it's much cheaper than texts, I leave cellular data on.  I do turn cellular access off to many apps, though, to keep them from chewing through data.

In Settings -> Message there's a setting "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable".  Perhaps that will help.

That only works for outbound, and doesn't address the inbound issue. That said, I believe you're quite close to the solution, but N isn't going to like the financial consequences. The only way you can reliably get incoming text messages from other iPhone users while there is no data access is to completely disable iMessage, which means you lose the financial benefit.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
so my choice is to

a. have the data activated (and risk accidentally using data for any other purpose)

or

b. disable iMessage, and never get any free messages, even on wifi

can I disable iMessage on my phone, but still use it on my ipad? meaning, I dont have to disable the whole account, just the app on the iPhone?

is there a way to make sure I dont use data even tho the data is on? (like how to make sure apps dont have access to it?)

my iphone still works...and I consistently stay under the 10$ limit, so I dont want to upgrade to another phone or carrier unless I have to.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
There were some controls for cellular data in 6, IIRC, but 7 is where they added the lion's share.  You can certainly set it to not check mail automatically and such.

You can reset your cellular usage, try it for a week, and see how you do.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
Even if you disable iMessage, people with iPhones may still not be able to text you.  This is a known problem that I experienced when my daughter switched from an iPhone to Samsung.  I used to iMessage her.  When she switched her phone (but kept the same number) my iPhone still treated her number as an iPhone number and attempted to send the text as an iMessage.  I think she ended up deregistering her number with Apple and I had to delete her as a contact on my iPhone and reenter her info in order to fix it.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »
I had and have resolved this problem!  The previous poster was very close with the setting your phone to send as SMS when iMessage is not available.  The solution is to have the people that are sending you the texts/iMessages also turn this "send iMessages as SMS" setting on with their phone.  The default setting for this is off.  So it's a bit of a hassle, in that you have to ask them to turn it on, but people don't mind if this setting is on, because most people have some sort of texting plan.

Give it a try, have your sender turn it on, turn off your wifi, and see if you get their messages.  You should get them as texts.  The wifi in my house is on an outlet timer, and I used to miss messages all the time from my BFF, who sends messages at all hours.  I wouldn't even get them when I turned wifi on, it often wouldn't be until I initiated an iMessage, then I'd get a whole string of texts from a prior day.

I'm really thrilled to be able to share this, because it was such a headache to deal with before we figured it out.  It will still be a problem with less used contacts, but it takes care of most people I contact.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:39:30 AM by catccc »

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
I have been having problems with my airvoice/iphone as well!  Does anyone else not get any group texts or picture messages from non-Iphones?  My mom has a android phone and I can't get picture messages from her anymore, and group message from androids never reach me.  It is very frustrating!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
I have been having problems with my airvoice/iphone as well!  Does anyone else not get any group texts or picture messages from non-Iphones?  My mom has a android phone and I can't get picture messages from her anymore, and group message from androids never reach me.  It is very frustrating!

I get picture messages from non iphones and iphones as a text with a web-link, so I have to be on wifi to see them.

I've never been part of a group message on android, so I can't comment on that.

Despite these few shortcomings, AirVoice has been great- I've been using it for maybe 1.5 years, wifi only, never called to get the data activated.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »

Three questions:

1) Have you done both data and MMS configuration settings for the iPhone on Airvoice?

2) If yes to the first question, are you on the $10 plan?

3) If yes to the second question, have you called support and requested that they enable MMS on the account?

By default, Airvoice disables both data and MMS support on their $10 plan to keep people from accidentally burning off their credits, as a lot of phones can very quickly burn through 150MB of data without flinching. It's easy enough to correct, however.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
1) Yes

2) No, I am on the $30 plan

If this makes a difference, I received MMS from iphones without issue.  It is just the non-iphones that is the problem.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »

3) If yes to the second question, have you called support and requested that they enable MMS on the account?

By default, Airvoice disables both data and MMS support on their $10 plan to keep people from accidentally burning off their credits, as a lot of phones can very quickly burn through 150MB of data without flinching. It's easy enough to correct, however.

Can they enable MMS only and not data?  Or do you need to do both?  I assume I would have to turn data on to receive the MMS, but I don't want to use data for anything else.  I could live with the getting a text and having to be on wi-fi for pic messages, but I rarely burn through the credits fast enough that using MMS would be an issue.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
Can they enable MMS only and not data?  Or do you need to do both?  I assume I would have to turn data on to receive the MMS, but I don't want to use data for anything else.  I could live with the getting a text and having to be on wi-fi for pic messages, but I rarely burn through the credits fast enough that using MMS would be an issue.

MMS and data are technically two separate functions, IIRC. You should be able to enable one without the other.