Author Topic: iPhone 4s don't work so well no more - how to update?  (Read 6310 times)

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
iPhone 4s don't work so well no more - how to update?
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
Howdy all,

In September 2012 I posted asking for advice on a cheaper iphone plan. I wound up moving from ATT -> Straight Talk and saving $50 a month. That appears to have been 30 months ago, so it looks like I saved about $1,500 since.

Since this forum gave such good phone advice before, I thought I'd try again :)

My iPhone 4s is on its last legs, so I'd like to get a new phone. The phone market is confusing though, so I thought I'd ask people for advice to help me navigate it. I've had iphone forever, but it seems like if I want a new phone and to not pay an arm and a leg I should consider switching. I just don't know where. Ideally I can buy something and just put in my current sim card. I definitely don't want to give up my cheap straight talk plan.

Any advice?

Thank you.

cjottawa

• Stubble
Re: iPhone 4s don't work so well no more - how to update?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:23:51 PM »
Why exactly is your iPhone 4s "on its last legs?"

If you upgraded to iOS 8, I'm sure it seems like it's dying; it doesn't have the horsepower for it.

Downgrade to iOS 7 and leave it there. It'll continue to work fine, provided it doesn't actually have any damage.

Source: I have a 4s. I'm holding out until good Android phones are widely available with Type-C USB connectors.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »
I'm planning on upgrading from my 4S to a 6 once I return to the mainland next week.

Not all that facepunch worthy...only gonna cost me a little over $100 for the move up. It was time. If I'm going to document my FIRE journey properly, the improved video and camera abilities should come in handy. That's how I'm justifying it anyway. :)

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
@cjottawa One of the volume buttons broke. When I brought it in to apple they said that the phone is so old they don't have that part anymore. They told me I'd have to buy a new one.

@jon_snow: How are you upgrading from a 4 to a 6 for only $100? They told me a new phone will cost $600 unlocked. Or I could buy a phone with an expensive contract.

I recently heard about the blu phone, and am wondering how it compares to an iphone.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »

If you upgraded to iOS 8, I'm sure it seems like it's dying; it doesn't have the horsepower for it.

Downgrade to iOS 7 and leave it there. It'll continue to work fine, provided it doesn't actually have any damage.

Source: I have a 4s. I'm holding out until good Android phones are widely available with Type-C USB connectors.

Glad to know this. I have an iPhone 4. Hadn't upgraded iOS yet but thought I should stop procrastinating. I'll keep on procrastinating. Phone works fine.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »
@cjottawa One of the volume buttons broke. When I brought it in to apple they said that the phone is so old they don't have that part anymore. They told me I'd have to buy a new one.

Genius techs aren't really there to fix stuff, they're there to sell you new crap. Bam - $10 and an afternoon:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Headphone+Jack+Cable+Replacement/7281
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380885123714
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Volume+Buttons+Replacement/7113
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111316621038

Nothing to lose at this point.

If failure occurs, you insist on another smartphone, and you're not afraid of going Microsoft, the Nokia Lumia 520/521 carrier unlocked is dirt cheap right now... like under $75 new cheap. Also, nobody needs unlimited anything. There's far better AT&T or T-Mobile MVNOs for the money than StraightTalk (and cheaper, too), they just take a little bit of data discipline which isn't difficult.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
Got a way to downgrade?  From what I've seen, Apple isn't "signing" 7.whatever anymore.  My old 4S is running 8, but I would prefer 7 since some things run pretty slowly on 8 (FB, I'm looking at you).

Not a real problem since I'm "stuck" with my 6 (which is great, but it was expensive). I plan on taking the 4S when I travel to South America this summer, just in case. 

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »

Genius techs aren't really there to fix stuff, they're there to sell you new crap. Bam - $10 and an afternoon:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Headphone+Jack+Cable+Replacement/7281
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380885123714
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Volume+Buttons+Replacement/7113
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111316621038

Nothing to lose at this point.

If failure occurs, you insist on another smartphone, and you're not afraid of going Microsoft, the Nokia Lumia 520/521 carrier unlocked is dirt cheap right now... like under $75 new cheap. Also, nobody needs unlimited anything. There's far better AT&T or T-Mobile MVNOs for the money than StraightTalk (and cheaper, too), they just take a little bit of data discipline which isn't difficult.

Wow, that impresses me. I literally never thought of replacing the part myself. The phones seem designed to keep you out of them.  But it looks doable. I'm tempted to buy that kit off of ebay now to try.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »
Got a way to downgrade?  From what I've seen, Apple isn't "signing" 7.whatever anymore.  My old 4S is running 8, but I would prefer 7 since some things run pretty slowly on 8 (FB, I'm looking at you).

Not a real problem since I'm "stuck" with my 6 (which is great, but it was expensive). I plan on taking the 4S when I travel to South America this summer, just in case.

Try removing the Facebook app and using the mobile website instead. Added bonuses are the reduction in notifications and a reduction in data use from no auto-playing videos.

Might be worth wiping the phone and installing everything fresh. My brother was using my old iPhone 4 on iOS 7 until a few weeks ago (he now has a 5S).

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:40:29 AM »
If you can't fix just get a refurbished 4s or 5c. $140 -$220.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
if you're considering getting another phone, look into a 2013 Moto X. I got mine off eBay used months ago, and it's still working great.

miss snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm still running on a 4 and I thought it was toast until I deleted every text message and voicemail I had on there. Works great now!

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
No shame in upgrading if you are having issues that can't be cheaply fixed, or if you would prefer the upgrades that have taken place in the four recent generations.

One option is to find a 5 or 5s either new or as a resale online to reduce the cost, or maybe wait until the 6s is coming up and then getting the current 6 for a bit of a discount (likely in around 6 months).

I've got a 5 currently since early 2013, and really wanted to upgrade but decided against it since I cirrently have no issues with the handset. In the future, one way to reduce overall handset costs is to sell your device while it's still functional and 2 generstions prior on eBay since you can get a bit higher net price after fees than recycling to Apple. Then, buy the recent generation new.

As a current example, you can sell the 4s for roughly 100, and buy a new 5s for 550. roughly 450 every two years suggests a monthly handset cost of ~19 per month. This compares to a standard new phone every two years of 650/24 or ~27 per month. Alternatively, you could increase that upgrade cycle to 3 years, but your resale value will decrease. Let's estimate 50 resale for a 4s and buy a new 6. Net cost of 600/36 or ~17 per month.

Cricket wireless I believe is 35 per month service plus 650/24 for a new upgrade every two years paid in full 27/month) less the resale value of ~200 for a 2 yr old device so reduced by 8/mo. All in wireless costs of ~55/month with a constant device of 2 years seems to be fairly frugal.

Anyway, a few options to consider depending on your feature preferences and each will save you money if you go with a cheaper service reseller compared to att or Verizon.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
You can control volume and other functions via AssistiveTouch. Go to General>Accesssibility and activate it. My power button stopped working, so I am getting extra life with this feature.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »

Try removing the Facebook app and using the mobile website instead. Added bonuses are the reduction in notifications and a reduction in data use from no auto-playing videos.

I wonder if this is why I haven't really had problems (I have an iphone 4- running IOS8).  I uninstalled facebook when they started pushing that messenger app.  So now I just use the website.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »

Glad to know this. I have an iPhone 4. Hadn't upgraded iOS yet but thought I should stop procrastinating. I'll keep on procrastinating. Phone works fine.
I have an iPhone4, still running iOS 5!  I've contemplated updating, but keep procrastinating. I can't download new apps, but the old ones still seem to work.  If I do eventually update, I'll take your advice and not go past iOS 7.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
I don't think you'll have an option to upgrade to 7 (same reason I can't downgrade from 8 - apple won't let you).

The FB web page is much faster.  Clunky, but faster!

I don't know where you can sell a 4S for $100 (if so, I would have sold it!)  The best I saw was $55, so I'm keeping it for travel and as a backup, I guess. Silly, I know. 

asdfasdf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
I thought I'd let people know what I decided to do.

But first, a humorous side note: since my initial post the power button stopped working.

I decided to buy an unlocked cell phone from Amazon. Here is amazon's page for unlocked cell phones.

What's amazing is how BLU seems to be dominating this market for cheap, modern smartphones. My friend recently got one, which was the first I'd heard about it.  Then I saw this piece online about them.

The fact that you can get new unlocked phones like this for $70 really shocked me. 4.5 stars with over 2k reviews?!

This will be my first foray into an android phone.  We'll see how it goes. I've been an iphone user for ages. But my phone needs are pretty simple, and I can't really justify the additional cost of an apple phone right now.