Author Topic: Investing in a mattress for the bedroom  (Read 23531 times)

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Investing in a mattress for the bedroom
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
Investing, in this context, is a term that has been suggested to me by multiple people so I wanted to use it (although such terms always makes me very uncomfortable, but bear with me for a moment)

After sleeping on a futon mattress for years when I was single, I need to decide on whether to get another one (two futon mattresses) or actually buy (invest in) a complete ~$1k QUEEN mattress set for the DW?

(Unfortunately for me, for some reason two brand new futon mattresses seem to add up to ~$700 and is comparative to a "good quality" complete ~$1k QUEEN mattress set.)

Anyways, a few things have to be kept in mind:

i. We live on Southern CA, so the padding provided by a single futon mattress is sufficient to insulate against a cold floor. To be safe, I am considering buying two futon mattresses to get more comfort and insulation (unless that's a crazy/bad idea)
ii. We intend to move around a bit (if the rent goes up and we can't get a lower rate) so lighter/less bulky bedding will be a plus, or something that we can afford to throw away after a year without feeling sad
iii. Both of us are from India and are used to sleeping on a futon like mattress for the last 20 years, so unless the thing sag too much or compresses into a sheet after a few months of use, a good futon mattress should be fine
Hence, we are not spoiled (yet) by all that memory foam or what-have-you larger-than-life-mattress-technology.

As long as our backs don't get hurt or get damaged due to bad mattress and we can sleep on it comfortably, it's going to work out just fine for us.

Now, the reason for considering a ~$1k QUEEN mattress set is because it's hard to justify buying two futon mattress when we can get a bed set for around the same price + our friends suggest we should invest in a better quality life and get a mattress that is going to last 10 years.

While both mattress life and comfort are both good arguments, I have this feeling that you Mustachians might have some good advice to offer :-D

Given this information would you guys recommend:

1. we get two good futon mattresses (with perhaps tips on where to get reliable futon mattresses. Most of the ones at Walmart have compliants about quality that they compress into half the height as when they were new)
2. we toss the futon mattress idea out, follow our friends' advice and sink ~$1k into a QUEEN mattress set
3. we do something completely different!

Any suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:16:08 PM by Sri C. »

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Investing in a mattress for the bedroom
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
A good quality Japanese futon can last a few decades. I get the impression that spring mattresses don't last as long, though I've never owned one for very long. We bought one from J-Life as a secondary mattress for when we have guests. We made our own cover. The queen size runs $300 plus shipping. You might be able to find a supplier in SoCal. We found the full size sufficient for us.

My understanding is that in Japan, some people put a foam pad between the futon and the floor. That seems to make a lot more sense than buying two futons. We haven't done this, and sometimes my back hurts a little after sleeping on it. Alternatively, if you had the space, you could build a platform, one that was easy to disassemble for moving.

Futon mattresses naturally compress a little bit. I don't think that by itself is a sign of low quality. If it gets lumpy, you can beat out the lumps.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
Option 4: Shop around and pay $500 for a good Queen mattress.

I was able to get last season's mid-line queen mattress for the same price as this season's on-sale low-line mattress because the company had some inventory in a nearby warehouse.  $1200 mattress and boxspring for $500. 

Since you are used to sleeping on a futon, I would suggest augmenting that purchase with a sleeping platform with storage (we built ours).  This can replace a box spring, further lowering the price, and make some functional storage space where there was none. As a bonus, this saves the additional expense of a frame.  :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
Investing, in this context, is a term that has been suggested to me by multiple people so I wanted to use it (although such terms always makes me very uncomfortable, but bear with me for a moment)

I bore with you, but still never got to the point where you explained how it was an investment.

Is it going to increase in value?  Are you buying a mattress that will pay dividends? Perhaps it is stuffed with stock certificates?

I believe the term you want to use is "Buying," not "Investing in."

What on earth would make you, or those other multiple people, think it's an investment?

/don't mean to punch in the face too hard, it was just silly to use this terminology, acknowledge in the first sentence it may not be appropriate, yet still use it and not explain why.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »
I just bought a new mattress, and after much research and hand-wringing, I took a leap of faith on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Queen/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369083341&sr=1-4&keywords=queen+dream+latex+mattress

The owner promptly e-mails you and helps you decide how firm you'd like, they have 10 levels.  This is a bargain latex mattress, it's not latex all the way through but it is where it counts.   I've been sleeping on it for about a month and I am in. love. with. it.  ( I got a 4, which is on the firmer side.) 

I highly recommend reading through the reviews.  Just thought I'd share.  Mattresses are hard to shop for if you're making a change to something different!  Good luck!

edited because I linked to my own order history, FAIL.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:56:31 PM by KulshanGirl »

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »

I was able to get last season's mid-line queen mattress for the same price as this season's on-sale low-line mattress because the company had some inventory in a nearby warehouse.  $1200 mattress and boxspring for $500. 

Since you are used to sleeping on a futon, I would suggest augmenting that purchase with a sleeping platform with storage (we built ours).  This can replace a box spring, further lowering the price, and make some functional storage space where there was none. As a bonus, this saves the additional expense of a frame.  :-)

Right that's a variant of #2 (and one I was hoping).

Unfortunately, as I always say, the devil is in the details.

I have looked around a few stores and some sell queens for as low as $150 but I am sure they get damaged after a few days/months.

I also found some "good deals" at Macy's in their ongoing mattress sale and have a whole Queen set for $300 including shipping BUT I have no idea how good it is and whether it will last a reasonable time or give rise to horrible back pain a few years down the line!

So details would be appreciated (make, model, retailer, links to your mattress, etc)

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

I bore with you, but still never got to the point where you explained how it was an investment.

Is it going to increase in value?  Are you buying a mattress that will pay dividends? Perhaps it is stuffed with stock certificates?

What on earth would make you, or those other multiple people, think it's an investment?

/don't mean to punch in the face too hard, it was just silly to use this terminology, acknowledge in the first sentence it may not be appropriate, yet still use it and not explain why.

My bad - I did not make the "investment" logic of my friends clear enough but the argument was this part of my OP: "better quality life and get a mattress that is going to last 10 years".

I do agree that a bad mattress can make life a living hell (back pain, deformation etc) while a good mattress by affording you high quality sleep lets you be more productive.

Also, a bad mattress that needs to be replaced every year or so is definitely a bad expense compared to one that is going to last 10 years.

However, I wanted the title to be catchy and was not really serious about the Investment part. I do not view any products that do not intrinsically generate revenue as an Investment.

.... but still, from most of the recommendations in this thread so far, it seems like spending $500 - $700 on a single Queen mattress is nothing out of the ordinary (so I am highly tempted to try out the Macy's $300 offer for a Queen bedding set, and am only hesitating from the fear of buying a poor quality mattress that leads to back pain etc).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »

Right that's a variant of #2 (and one I was hoping).

Unfortunately, as I always say, the devil is in the details.

I have looked around a few stores and some sell queens for as low as $150 but I am sure they get damaged after a few days/months.

I also found some "good deals" at Macy's in their ongoing mattress sale and have a whole Queen set for $300 including shipping BUT I have no idea how good it is and whether it will last a reasonable time or give rise to horrible back pain a few years down the line!

So details would be appreciated (make, model, retailer, links to your mattress, etc)

We bought from either Mattress Discounters or Mattress King (both big players in my area).  I know it's a Serta with a comfortable layer on top, but unfortunately I don't know the exact type of mattress.   What we did was walk in, figure out that I liked it medium-firm, and start asking about options.  We didn't need a mattress right then as it was for a college apartment and therefore able to negotiate a little bit more.  Since we would have had to go through a warehouse anyway, we asked if there was anything from last season that they could sell to us for a little cheaper (than the $500 baseline queen on sale).  That evolved into getting a higher model - better quality, etc. - for the same price.   The only caveat was that I couldn't actually lay on it beforehand, but I got a good feel from the comps and I don't think a five minute evaluation can tell you much about a mattress anyway.  I didn't get the cheapest option, but I payed the same as if I did big difference.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
When I bought my house, I got a gel memory foam mattress set (the third generation of memory foam bedding).  Amazing.  Great night sleep.  Within a couple of weeks all of my back and knee pain disappeared.  I sleep a lot better now.

No innersprings, so the bed doesn't move around when you roll over. 

http://www.restonic.com/Mattresses/HealthRest-Collection/TempaGel/HealthRest%C2%AE-TempaGel-Mattress.html

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
I also have the J-life futon, and it rocks.

Sweet Betsy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Buy one good quality futon and see if that is sufficient.  You can always buy a second one if one isn't enough (but it probably will be) Don't go the Walmart route or the "cheapish" Sealy route.  Go with what you already know you like and save a bit of money. 

CeciliaW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how long is a good mattress supposed to last?

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
I also have the J-life futon, and it rocks.

I was wondering about the J-life futon. How is it different from any other $500 futon? Does it have the inside full of cotton? When it becomes lumpy, can you just beat it with your hands to get it back to as good as new?

Why do people like it so much?

ScubaAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mustachian looking for FI by 40
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
I have a pillow top Queen mattress and box spring that I bought new for $300 for the set (mismatched set, end of year clearance) from Denver Mattress company.  It is 10 years old this year, and I still love it.  Eventually, it will migrate to the guest room and we will get a new one, but its great for now.  I haven't slept on a futon mattress on the floor, so I can't compare it to what you have now.  I wasn't trying to be super Mustachian about it at the time, I just was a poor-ish college student that needed to furnish a bedroom.  It worked out for me though.  In contrast, my mom bought a $1300 mattress that she hates after a year or so...  Thats a Serta something or other I think.

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
Given that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed it makes a lot more sense to spend extra to get something that will be comfortable.

The one thing you should be aware of futons is the need to get air under them to allow the mattress to breathe, otherwise it will start to mold during that first summer. By far the easiest way to do that is to get a low slat frame that lets a little air circulate underneath the mattress. If that's not in your buying plans you should assume you'll have to hang the futon once every few days and fold it away every day.

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Given that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed it makes a lot more sense to spend extra to get something that will be comfortable.

The one thing you should be aware of futons is the need to get air under them to allow the mattress to breathe, otherwise it will start to mold during that first summer. By far the easiest way to do that is to get a low slat frame that lets a little air circulate underneath the mattress. If that's not in your buying plans you should assume you'll have to hang the futon once every few days and fold it away every day.

I don't want to come off as a miser and am ready to spend a reasonable amount of money as long as it's not a waste (like paying $50 for a HDMI cable!).

Being in southern California, it's sunny and dry most of the time. Our bedroom has very good cross ventilation and I can put the mattress up against the wall to let it breathe all day so that's not an issue

Apparently the $400 J-Life futons people rave about are actually rebranded "Gold Bond" futons that can be had for ~$150 but I am not so sure (http://www.reddit.com/r/minimalism/comments/15c2bx/need_help_selecting_a_futon_jlife_or_tuftandneedle/c9dl21d)

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »

An investment in better sleep!

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
I just bought a new mattress, and after much research and hand-wringing, I took a leap of faith on this:

This is a bargain latex mattress, it's not latex all the way through but it is where it counts.   I've been sleeping on it for about a month and I am in. love. with. it.  ( I got a 4, which is on the firmer side.) 

I'll second the latex option. I don't have a latex mattress. But I do have a 4" latex topper on my regular spring mattress and it is wonderful. Latex toppers, expensive, have a long life of something like 30 years. So they say. But, I bought latex foam pillows back in 2006, and they seem just as good seven years later as they did new. So I assume the latex topper will perform as well.

My coil mattress will probably be replaced two or three times before the latex topper wears out. If all goes as planned.

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

Until it doubles in weight filled up with dead skin cells, sweat, other bodily fluids, and clumps of dust mites.

DreamingofFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Have you considered buying used?  I got my current queen-sized mattress second-hand from Craiglist- the seller threw it in for free with the bed frame I purchased.  It's working just fine for me.  I think some people get wierded out by the thought of used mattresses, but whatever.

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
Have you considered buying used?  I got my current queen-sized mattress second-hand from Craiglist- the seller threw it in for free with the bed frame I purchased.  It's working just fine for me.  I think some people get wierded out by the thought of used mattresses, but whatever.

How do you recommend we go about sterilizing and cleaning used ones?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/recommendations-in-purchasing-and-using-used-vacuum-cleaners-in-our-homes/msg83492/#msg83492

DreamingofFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
Well, part of it was that the mattress was fairly clean and unused to begin with - the sellers told me it had been in their guest bedroom and used rarely.  My gut sense was that they were telling the truth.  Then I took it home, vacuumed it off (my vacuum has a special "mattress" attachment which I finally got to use), and cleaned it with my steam cleaner.  Then I put on my washable mattress pad and a sheet.

I think it's possible to get a used mattress full of dirt and critters, but I was pleased with how the whole thing worked out.  I've had it for three years now, and I sleep great on it, so I'm satisfied.  Occasionally I think the pillowtop mattresses seem nice, but not as nice as keeping that money for things I care about more.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
We bought mattress only for $400 from a small local mattress factory five years ago and have been very pleased. My husband made our platform bed, and the arrangement works very well.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »

How do you recommend we go about sterilizing and cleaning used ones?

Embrace the germs!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magazine/say-hello-to-the-100-trillion-bacteria-that-make-up-your-microbiome.html?hpw&_r=0

(In all seriousness, I don't think I have ever bought a new mattress for myself, though I'm pretty sure we did buy one for a stepkid once and technically do have one we purchased for a futon in a guest bedroom.  The mattress I sleep on now is my parents' king bed mattress that must be at least the 4+ decades I am old.  It and I get along fine.  My other mattresses have been either family hand-me-downs or mattresses I married into -- hey, love the man, love his mattress, what can I say?  And no, he didn't replace the mattress when the former wife moved out, nor did we replace any of the mattresses or upholstered furniture when we bought a camping trailer.)

What do you do to sterilize the mattress when you stay in a hotel?

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »

Germs are the least of our worries.

Think bed bugs! They are coming back...

A used mattress is pretty much as disgusting as wearing a strangers dirty stained underwear that have been worn two weeks straight you bought off of Craigslist. I'm surprised no one is advocating that too. Its less expensive you know..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:46:28 PM by Dynasty »

jamccain

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »

On top of his face punching game...

JahWontPaytheBills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Queen/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369083341&sr=1-4&keywords=queen+dream+latex+mattress

The owner promptly e-mails you and helps you decide how firm you'd like, they have 10 levels.  This is a bargain latex mattress, it's not latex all the way through but it is where it counts.   I've been sleeping on it for about a month and I am in. love. with. it.  ( I got a 4, which is on the firmer side.) 

I highly recommend reading through the reviews.  Just thought I'd share.  Mattresses are hard to shop for if you're making a change to something different!  Good luck!

edited because I linked to my own order history, FAIL.

Thanks for this! I've been looking for a matress for a while, and this is my new frontrunner! I appreciate your sharing.

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »
What's wrong with a mattress from Ikea?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20206892/

US$ 279 per piece.

As a non-native speaker, perhaps I don't understand what I'm missing here?

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »

Germs are the least of our worries.

Think bed bugs! They are coming back...

A used mattress is pretty much as disgusting as wearing a strangers dirty stained underwear that have been worn two weeks straight you bought off of Craigslist. I'm surprised no one is advocating that too. Its less expensive you know..

If you're worried about bed bugs/germs with a second hand mattress, just encase it in one of those quality breathable mattress covers. And if you ever have to deal with a bed bug infestation, this site is the MMM of bed bug eradication: http://julesnoise.com/

kit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:16 AM »
Back when I had a condo in Boston, used mattresses cost the building tens of thousands in bedbug eradication not once but TWICE! The second one was a craigslist special thanks to the people living above us, who had just gone through months of checks when they got their genius money-saving idea. They are not worth the savings in my opinion. Bedbugs are more persistent and harder to get rid of than roaches could ever be.

I'm pretty fine with used everything, but the months of life interruption and having to deal with it even without the ridiculous amount of money put me off used upholstered stuff.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »
My bed-picky husband bought a futon mattress from overstock.com for $300, put a foam topper on it, and likes it a lot.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »

I saw a fluff news piece on a "professional mattress tester".  (Yes, there is such a thing.)  They were showing all the ridiculous double pillow top, spring-in-spring, caress your back mattresses that ranged up to used car prices.  They reviewed them all from reasonable to ridiculous and the guy ended up saying something like "price doesn't really come into mattresses at all... sleep on what is comfortable to you."

And what do you think a professional mattress tester sleeps on?  A plain air mattress thrown on the floor!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Apparently the $400 J-Life futons people rave about are actually rebranded "Gold Bond" futons that can be had for ~$150 but I am not so sure (http://www.reddit.com/r/minimalism/comments/15c2bx/need_help_selecting_a_futon_jlife_or_tuftandneedle/c9dl21d)

The futon I got from J-Life says "Wolf" on the tag. Because I couldn't find a 4-inch, all-cotton model from Wolf Futon, I thought that maybe J-Life had them specially made by Wolf. Maybe they did; I bought it a few years ago, and the Reddit comment is more recent. If I had known about the Gold Bond futon, I probably would have gone with that. Many of the bad online reviews of the Gold Bond futon seem to be from people who didn't really want a 4-inch, all-cotton futon. Some of those people are trying to put them onto Western futon frames and use them as couches. If you bought a queen or full-sized 4-inch, all-cotton Gold Bond futon, made your own cover, and put a high-density foam pad underneath, I think you would be satisfied with it, and if you took care of it, it would last a long time.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »
We have only used hand me downs from family, but I will be purchasing latex since you don't get dust mites with it. I would think bed bugs might also not infest natural latex? I have slowly been replacing our pillows with latex ones, and we love those!

Bed bugs will infest anything dark and not a shiny surface, so I suspect natural latex is not immune. Regardless, they are relatively easy to keep out, or trap in, mattresses by using a mattress cover. They are also pretty easy to stop getting on the bed in the first place by protecting the entry ways with simple materials you can find in most homes or buy very cheaply. 

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:35 AM »
They were showing all the ridiculous double pillow top, spring-in-spring, caress your back mattresses that ranged up to used car prices.

At first, I was of the opinion that a mattress is something you really should spend some money on. I'd say things like "it's your back after all". But then I spent couple of months studying in China and that changed my perspective quite a lot :-)

Now I just bought the $250 spring mattress from Ikea and it's more than fine.

panthalassa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »

I agree with smalllife.  This is exactly what I did.  I was in the market a little over a year ago for a queen mattress.  Mattresses have a very scary markup.  Never pay full price unless you like throwing money away.  I was in and out of 3 different Sleep Country Canadas multiple times before I bought one.  But when I did, I paid ~$500 for a floor model queen size mattress plus boxspring plus frame plus free delivery/set-up.  The mattress at regular price not even including all the extras was easily $1400 but I bought at the end of the season when they were getting new inventory in and I was patient and wouldn't accept paying more than I budgeted despite 3 different salespeople telling me they wouldn't discount.  Hah!

I consider this mattress one of my smartest purchases.  I am overweight so I needed a good supporting mattress that allowed me to sleep on my side without ruining my back.  After a year it's still the same.  No regrets.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 06:21:32 AM »

US$ 279 per piece.

This.

My inexpensive ikea memory foam mattress is very comfortable.  I've had it for about 5 years now and it still sleeps great. 

I think this is the one i have- currently $279 for a queen:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30139835/#/20139826

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »

US$ 279 per piece.

This.

My inexpensive ikea memory foam mattress is very comfortable.  I've had it for about 5 years now and it still sleeps great. 

I think this is the one i have- currently $279 for a queen:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30139835/#/20139826

Yeah, I'd go with the IKEA mattress. My sister has one in her guest room and it's awesome, super comfortable and easy to move (she got one of these up 3 flights of stairs in a house in Pittsburgh with narrow hallways). When she moved back to Minnesota, she couldn't take it so she sold it (friend gave it to her for free), then just bought another one. It seems IKEA stuff is fairly easy to unload on Craigslist if you need to, esp. in college towns.

Drake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »
Buying a mattress is like buying a car - lots of room to negotiate - at least with my experience at Sleepys and according a Sleepys sales rep my dad met once at a party.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
Sri, take a look at this Biopedic Memory Foam mattress. It's the best mattress I've ever had.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Comfort-Dreams-Select-A-Firmness-11-inch-Queen-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress/3158654/product.html

$360. It's incredibly comfortable and plenty durable. I got mine in 2010 and it's still going strong.

-Able to insulate against a cold floor?- You betcha.

-Really moveable- BINGO. It comes rolled up like a carpet and vacuum sealed. It's like a half inch thick when you first get it, so you can easily move it to where you want it. The whole thing can't be more than 80 lbs or so. When you finally open it up it wooshes as it sucks in air and expands for the next 72 hours or so.

Even though you can't revacuum-seal it, it's EXTREMELY easy to move. The whole thing is extremely flexible, so you can bend it around corners and get it into tight spaces very easily. I have moved three times since getting it and it's been a breeze moving every time. I had a room in Philly on an extremely narrow staircase and the landlord indicated that most people had to cut their spring mattresses in half to get around a tight turn and then reassemble it later. Not for me!

Comfort- The most comfortable mattress I've slept on. Uniform pressure and no squeaks, unlike a spring mattress. It just molds itself to your body and feels great. The mattress has gotten slightly softer since I've started using it, but it's just as comfortable. It might get to be a little bit of an issue after 6+ years. I would suggest going with a slightly firmer mattress than you normally prefer, as it will get softer, but never firmer, after time.

Throwing it away without feeling too badly- Well, it is $360 and if keep do that over 5-6 years...well,  17 cents a night for a mattress (just ~2 cents an hour) doesn't strike me as too guilt-inducing.

Other slight caveats- This is fairly thick so you may need an oversized mattress cover. These usually are about the same price and available everywhere.

But overall the best sleep I've ever gotten on a mattress that's cheaper than almost anything sold in brick and mortar stores...you have to at least consider it.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »
We bought this mattress (but in a twin) for our daughter, and it is amazingly comfortable: http://www.amazon.com/LinenSpa-Memory-Mattress-25-Year-Warranty/dp/B0050JL384/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1369455136&sr=1-1&keywords=linenspa+8%22+lucid

I was really apprehensive about buying a mattress without being able to test it or see it, but I read a lot of the reviews, figured out the return options, etc. AND ended up getting it with free shipping. Awesome deal. It's memory foam, and while I have only ever taken a nap on it, my daughter has now slept on it for a little over 6 months and keeps saying it's the best bed ever. :-)

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
I'll second buying a mattress on Craigslist. When my boyfriend moved in with me, we got a king size mattress, box spring, and bed frame on there for $110 (and I sold my old full-size mattress and bed frame there for $150). We were nervous about bed bugs, so I did a lot of research on how to identify signs of infestation (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYbkjKnoag and http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp ), and checked the mattress out carefully, and we did end up buying a bed-bug mattress cover just to be 100% safe. It's a great mattress for the fraction of the cost of a new one. Plus, when we move, we can just sell this one and buy another one off Craigslist when we get to our new location, so it makes moving way easier. :)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
I would second the idea of getting a frame for air circulation and better warmth.  You can buy a used futon frame so cheaply.  Or heck, use a couple shipping pallets.

A couple people mentioned haggling at the end of season at mattress shops.  Out of curiosity, when is the end/beginning of the mattress season?

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »

Until it doubles in weight filled up with dead skin cells, sweat, other bodily fluids, and clumps of dust mites.

This is a myth: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/a/4979

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »
You can make a hard or older mattress rival a more expensive new mattress by adding a 2 inch memory foam topper for $50.  We do this to all the beds, then a mattress cover on top. 

We have a bunch of furnished rentals and we get compliments on the beds frequently.

Bed bugs - haven't had them but they are a real problem where we live.  Not sure a used mattress is worth it if you can upgrade a cheaper mattress this way.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Yeah, I would not buy a used mattress. People have bought mine but I mean... my dog sleeps with me, I have sex on it... Knowing what goes on on my mattress, I wouldn't want someone else's unless $ was tight. Used underwear is one thing - you can wash it - but how clean can you get a used mattress?

Anyway. I would also recommend Ikea. A mattress can last a pretty long time, I finally got rid of my old one after like 10 years because the middle had started to sag too badly and was messing up my back. I considered a foam topper but it was a twin mattress and it was time to move on size-wise, ha.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
I'd go for Tuft and Needle, if you have an American Express card then check offers as they have a discount offer that I think is $100, here is an article about Tuft and Needle,
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2014/10/26/tuff-needle-a-better-path-to-sleep/
On Amazon, this mattress is 4.5 out of 5 stars with 1,853 reviews

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »
I'd go for Tuft and Needle, if you have an American Express card then check offers as they have a discount offer that I think is $100, here is an article about Tuft and Needle,
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2014/10/26/tuff-needle-a-better-path-to-sleep/
On Amazon, this mattress is 4.5 out of 5 stars with 1,853 reviews

....So the guy who started Tuft and Needle is a mustachian? COOOOL. I'm unreasonably excited about that, like finding out someone I went to school with became famous.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
Also, I believe this is the last day for the $100 off American Express deal.... Just an FYI also it's $100 off of $500 or more.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Three things I'll never skimp on.

Sleep.
Nutrition.
Health.

Buying a decent bed and being in a good sleeping environment is not something I'd be willing to compromise for the sake of a few hundred dollars a year. Plus, decent beds last 10+ years, so you are only paying $1000, that's $2 per week or 30c per day over that decade for a great sleep. Pretty cheap!