Author Topic: Investing advice! Living in UK for another year and moving to US after  (Read 2461 times)

kuriousoranj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I want to open a Betterment account to invest with Vanguard (90% stocks, 10% bonds) but I am currently residing and getting salary in the UK. Having read a bit of advice for people in UK, I have concluded that Vanguard Lifestrategy is the way to go in the UK. The question is: is it worth setting up a Vanguard Lifestrategy UK portfolio, so that after a year when I move to US I will have to pull the money out and reinvest through Betterment? Thank you in advance

kuriousoranj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
bump

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Are you an American? I would think that would make it not really a problem to open an American account.

kuriousoranj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am a EU citizen living in UK atm, got married to an American a month ago...

kuriousoranj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
bump

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
Best is if you call both Betterment and Vanguard and explain your situation to them. I'm with Schwab, had an international account with them when I was in Japan, they converted it into a "US" one when I moved to the US. The process was reasonably painless, and I didn't have to sell/transfer anything.
My point is, Vanguard or Betterment might be fine with having a UK account transferred to the US and vice versa