Author Topic: INTJ folks, has FIRE been the answer?  (Read 7631 times)

blockzilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
INTJ folks, has FIRE been the answer?
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
In another thread I've read that a disproportionate number of folks interested in FIRE are INTJ personality types. We seem to always been looking toward the future rather than living in the moment, and I'm no different when it comes to FIRE.

The question for INTJ people is, once you've gotten there has it been everything you've hoped it would be? Or is it just the INTJ thing to plan and constantly optimize, and once you reach FIRE and quit your job it leaves you a little dissapointed and not sure what to plan next? 

In my own head, when I reach FIRE in 5 years on my 40th birthday, it will be the key to the life that I want with my children and also to pursue my own interests. I do the typical INTJ thing of "ok, whats next?" every time I move geographic locations or reach a certain goal though, so it concerns me.

Sunflower

• Stubble
Re: INTJ folks, has FIRE been the answer?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:06:19 PM »
I kind of doubt it will. As a strong INTJ, I'm always going to be saying "ok, what's next????" When I reach a financial goal, there's always going to be some other goal to take it's place.

So, I'm trying to work on living in the moment and enjoying the present. I like being goal oriented, and I have a lot of fun thinking about planning stuff like FIRE. But, I want to be conscious of the downsides and try to live my life with at least some balance.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
It's hard to say.  I usually test out to INTJ, and I'm one of the ones who wanted to keep working, I really liked my job, but my last contract ended and that was it. 

Now, I didn't retire at 40.  Talking with other retirees, those who were self-directed keep being so, and those who needed outside influence to get them going still need the outside "push".  So some self-reflection is needed re that.

What I have found is that my life has shifted in unexpected ways - I am getting heavily involved in what were peripheral (very peripheral, on the back-burner) activities, and the things I thought I would miss a lot I only miss a little.  And that is after not quite a year.  At this point my life has changed so much over the last 5 years, I have no idea where I will be in another 5 years.  For someone who used to try a lot to plan ahead, that is a very odd (but somehow freeing) feeling.  "Go with the flow" has a new meaning now, life is more relaxed and less urgent - not that there are no deadlines, because there are, but the "rush-rush" is less so.  Opportunities present themselves now that are different from those that popped up while I was working.

Of course you will be younger at retirement, so YMMV.

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
What's INTJ like?

I've taken the test a few times over the years, always been weakly E and P, strongly N and T. Figure that means I'm not too different from INTJ. Though I'm somehow skeptical that we can break down people into 16 categories so easily.

I have a long way to reach FIRE, I'm just starting to look at it now. But I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time once I get there. Low stakes poker perhaps? Mix that with a bit of chilling on the porch in a rocking chair with a cup of bourbon on rocks and maybe fry up some cat fish sometimes, sounds to me like I have plenty to do. Might go fish the catfish myself if I can get myself down south.

I don't like being goal oriented myself I guess. Maybe that's the difference between ENTP and INTJ. At least not in the sense that I want to bother with "Okay, I want to have X amount by Y date. Next X2 amount by Y2 date." I am goal oriented in the "Okay, I want to quit my job and never have to get another one, and still be able to eat and keep a roof over my head." And I'm the kind who is generally disinterested by electronics, traveling, jewelry/clothes, pretty much anything that's expensive. My idea of a good day is wake up, eat, drink, sleep. Maybe play some games, chess or poker or something in between there somewhere.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
What's INTJ like?

I've taken the test a few times over the years, always been weakly E and P, strongly N and T. Figure that means I'm not too different from INTJ. Though I'm somehow skeptical that we can break down people into 16 categories so easily.

I have a long way to reach FIRE, I'm just starting to look at it now. But I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time once I get there. Low stakes poker perhaps? Mix that with a bit of chilling on the porch in a rocking chair with a cup of bourbon on rocks and maybe fry up some cat fish sometimes, sounds to me like I have plenty to do. Might go fish the catfish myself if I can get myself down south.

I don't like being goal oriented myself I guess. Maybe that's the difference between ENTP and INTJ. At least not in the sense that I want to bother with "Okay, I want to have X amount by Y date. Next X2 amount by Y2 date." I am goal oriented in the "Okay, I want to quit my job and never have to get another one, and still be able to eat and keep a roof over my head." And I'm the kind who is generally disinterested by electronics, traveling, jewelry/clothes, pretty much anything that's expensive. My idea of a good day is wake up, eat, drink, sleep. Maybe play some games, chess or poker or something in between there somewhere.

INTJ is like starting to learn a Romance language in preparation for FIRE only to discover that the western Mediterranean coastline is home to three Romance languages and to proceed in developing a plan to learn all three of them, just to be fully prepared. This is obviously a multiyear plan which has been optimized by avoiding a detour through Latin despite it being the common ancestor of the Romance languages.
Not that an INTJ would give a rat's ass about being categorized as such (doesn't appear to be actionable information other than being an awkward conversation anchor).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:38:53 PM by PeteD01 »

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
What's INTJ like?

INTJ is like starting to learn a Romance language in preparation for FIRE only to discover that the western Mediterranean coastline is home to three Romance languages and to proceed in developing a plan to learn all three of them, just to be fully prepared. This is obviously a multiyear plan which has been optimized by avoiding a detour through Latin despite it being the common ancestor of the Romance languages.
Not that an INTJ would give a rat's ass about being categorized as such (doesn't appear to be actionable information other than being an awkward conversation anchor).

That's so far off the mark....you are completely forgetting about the bording areas that have less romantic languages that we might come across and thus must be prepared for :)

Funny thing...just yesterday DW said she didn't think I could ever be happy (I think she means satisfied but I digress) as once I make some goal I then focus on something more or better or different...I think INTJ's take the saying  "Its the journey that matters" to extremes.  There is always something that could be fixed or optimized (much of it out of ones control) and it bugs us until it is...I am working on fixing/optimizing my fixation on fixing and optimizing things/situations.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
I had not heard about the link between INTJ and FIRE. Which is interesting, as I always test out at INTJ. I just started my journey, but looking at the description of INTJ, I can see how it fits. FIRE is a long journey and we are very goal oriented. I'm sure most people who reach FIRE will then set another goal or set their sites on another journey.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
i'm ENTP assertive.  very strong in all areas and i cant wait to FIRE.  but dont view it as a journey the way you guys speak of it.  i view it as it cant happen fast enought.  will i still work when i get to FI maybe but i fell i'm more stoked about going against a societal norm and having the ultimate freedom to do whatever i want than the "task" of gaining FI or ER

which makes sense quote from a description online "The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see."

That statement describes me to a T.   I'll argue a counterpoint to someone even if i think i'm wrong just to argue and see if i can break down their opinion or show them the other side.  Its not that i'm proud of this ... its just how i am.  I think people for that strongly relate in each of the the 4 areas the 16 types are quite accurate.  if you're borderline in one or 2 like stated above you may be an outlier and share intersting traits of both

on a side note this would be a fantastic poll of the 16 types with a test linked to see what everyone is.  i dont know any great tests or i would post it. i always post strong ENTP no matter what test i take. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
also based on the devils advocate in the quote above that pretty much describes why i strive for FI and/or RE at a young age.  the only real way to prove to people that is possible is to do it.  you can show people the math but you get all the Ha you cant do that ... or the market will crash and it will all be gone.  so the only way to completely prove this is to do it.  i would bet there are many ENTP types out there in these forums just as there are INTJ's b/c of this trait we posses to prove people wrong

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »
I haven't reached FI myself so can't say for sure... but to use an analogy...
just because you reached max level doesn't mean the game's over :0

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of that connection, but it makes a ton of sense! I am another "mastermind" INTJ

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »

I am working on fixing/optimizing my fixation on fixing and optimizing things/situations.

It's funny that it's possible to worry so much about things outside of our "circle of control", yet the one thing we supposedly have control over, ourselves, is surprisingly difficult to change!  Optimization is just too much fun. 

FWIW I've taken one personality test in high school, and was labeled an INTJ.  I sometimes wonder if that's changed.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
Strong INTJ here. I just started my FIRE journey. I found loads to do when I was unemployed for a year and a half, also lots of things I didn't have time for. The joy in FIRE for me is to be able to set goals that are not constrained by money. I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering what's next. On their death beds people usually regret not doing more, rather than doing too little.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:24:08 PM »
What's INTJ like?

Don't forget to poop

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:59 AM »
This is a very good website to read about personality types:
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

"INTJs are most always highly competent people, and will not have a problem meeting their career or education goals. They have the capability to make great strides in these arenas."