Author Topic: Interview scheduled for a job I don't want  (Read 4341 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Interview scheduled for a job I don't want
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:39:20 AM »
I have been in my current position for 9 months and it's not terrible, but not great. I was misled about the stability of the contract I'm working under, and concerned my job will be eliminated. I have started putting my feelers out for another position, and have an interview tomorrow in another location I work in several days a week. (Different employer entirely) They have discussed other positions with me previously, but the pay was nowhere near where I need to be, so I didn't pursue them. Now a position has opened that is closer to what I'm currently making, but probably still not as much. (Starting rate is $6/hr less than what I make) The issue is that because I work with this department several days per week, I am aware of the job duties and it seems like something that would not interest me. And because I've only been in my current position for less than a year, my next move needs to be something more long term. I had an interview last week for a position in yet another company that I'm very interested in, but have not yet heard anything back. What should I be doing in this interview? If I could work 4 ten hour days, that may sway me a bit. Should I be upfront about my concerns, or act enthusiastic? I don't think my contract will be canceled any time in the next few months, so I don't want to act out of fear and grab the first thing that comes along. I've also never interviewed for a position that I was not enthusiastic about.

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
Re: Interview scheduled for a job I don't want
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:37:05 AM »
I usually take competitive interviews if they are convenient, even if its unlikely they can sway me away from my current employment.

However, if there's no chance of you accepting, don't waste everyone's time. Just call and cancel.

I don't know about your field, but the comp/expectations are something you discuss afterwards. The interview is seeing if you're a good fit. I do think you should provide a required comp ahead of time to make sure expectations aren't wildly off though.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
I always say that it never hurts to have a conversation. The interview is when you convince them that you're perfect for the job. It's a sales opportunity and you're the product. This is not the time to discuss your requirements. That comes after the offer.

I see a lot of folks make this mistake. I worked for a Fortune 500 for seven years and hired hundreds of people for my division. When I was interviewing candidates, we would screen resumes and schedule a phone screen before the in-person interview. Some folks used this opportunity to list all the reasons I shouldn't hire them. It's much more successful to take the interview, make a good impression, and then negotiate your needs after they've fallen in love with you.

If they ask (but only if they ask), share what you're making now and watch for their reaction. If their eyebrows shoot up or their mouth hangs open, you're probably out of luck. The reaction you're going for is "Ouch... that's a lot! But I think we can work something out."

Crestlin012

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »
Being interested in the job duties is the best indicator of success. I'd say: Do the interview, but think of it as practice. If the interview makes you think you really want the job, then negotiate a salary that fits your needs.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
This guy asked a question similar to yours on quorum. One of his offers was revoked! Be careful out there.

http://qz.com/400027/engineer-asks-quora-which-job-offer-to-take-ceo-replies-not-ours/

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »
Do the interview - worst case is you don't get a job you don't want. 

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »
Do the interview, if anything it is just good practice.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
If you are 100% sure you don't want the job, don't do the interview. There are other candidates out there who might really appreciate it. But if you are even 90% sure, do it.

Because:
1) You never really know what's going on with a job until you get into the interview and talk to the manager. Maybe you'll find the circumstances are different than you thought.
2) You can use the interview practice and also the networking. Some years ago, I relocated to a new area and interviewed for a ton of jobs before getting to a hire. When I finally started that new job, I had a bunch of new contacts that really came in handy!
3) That final hire came because I had interviewed for a job at the same company that wasn't a great match and I didn't think I had much possibility of being offered it, let alone taking it. But when position #2 came open, which was a great match (including some reasons that they couldn't put in the job posting due to timing of PR announcements), the recruiter remembered me and pulled my application out of the file.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
I'll chime in on the don't-go-if-you're-sure-you-don't-want-it side.  If you get a job offer and turn it down flat it probably won't affect your day-to-day interactions with them.  But what if a better job comes up there.  Maybe they'll think you're not serious about it either and select someone else with similar qualifications.

When I was hiring my personal rule was if an applicant turned me down twice they didn't get a 3rd chance.