Author Topic: Interview confidential?  (Read 4286 times)

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Interview confidential?
« on: October 25, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
A recruiter contacted me over LinkedIn to ask if I'd be interested in a position.  I expressed interest, we chatted and now I'm slated for a first round interview.  Just got the schedule and...one of my interviewers is married to a colleague of mine. 

I reached out to the person who organized the schedule and let them know of this issue (that my search was not known to my employer and of this connection) and they said they'd reach out to the recruiter and see what they could do to ensure it remained confidential.

Do they have an obligation to maintain confidentiality?  I can't help but figure that I'll be the topic of the dinner table tonight, and I just have to cross my fingers that it doesn't get back to my boss.  Very awkward.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Interview confidential?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
Sorry to say but there's a good chance that this person already has your resume, sees where you're now working, already asked the spouse about you, so your cover is blown.

I've made mention that I'd like to get another job to a vendor at one point, some years ago.  That vendor mentioned this to someone at an unrelated company to an unrelated person.  That one talked to someone else, who talked to someone else and about a month later, my manager asks me to come in his office, closes the door and asks me about why I'm looking for a job.

I'd go ahead with the interview because that horse left the barn already, so you might as well find yourself a new landing point before the old one gets yanked from under you.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
That's about what I feared.

I've got some job protections here right now (although I have a professional job, I am part of a union w/a contract), so I don't think they can actually fire me over this as long as my reviews are satisfactory.  But pretty frustrating.

I suppose there's always the chance to be honest if my boss asks why.  But "you" is not likely to go over well as an answer.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
I agree that this person probably already knows, but, if I was the interviewer I'd probably either not tell my husband or ask him not to mention it to anyone else at work. It falls under professional courtesy, in my opinion, to not mention who is interviewing for a job. They don't have any obligation to keep quiet that I am aware of but it certainly makes them look bad if they put your current employment at risk by being gossipy...

At the same time, you're just interviewing, and bosses should expect that high-performing employees do that from time to time. They should also expect you to leave if where you are isn't the best possible fit for you. If I were you I'd just think of what to say to my boss if they did ask about it--mention that the recruiter contacted you, and that you thought it was worth meeting with them, but that you really like where you currently are. And if you don't end up getting it/wanting it report back to the boss that you're glad you went but it made you realize that you like where you are. Or something like that :)

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
meh, the cat is already out of the bag so no sense in worrying about it now.

The request for confidentiality will hopefully be viewed as a nice professional touch on your part.

If anyone asks, just say that they contacted you and you talked to them. I mean, if its your colleague's spouses coworker, the introduction is via  known source and you'd have been rude to not talk to them.

Don't worry about first round, phone ect, every organization describes hiring differently so just leave it as you had "a  conversation".  It doesn't sound like you know 100% where you are with these guys anyways.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
Yeah I suppose they could be annoyed by the request, but if that small (reasonable, to my mind) request annoys them, well, it's probably not the place for me.

Thanks for all the framing ideas.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
Could be worse, I had a co-worker walk out of an interview at another employer, to find another coworker of ours in the waiting room, ready for the next interview. AWKWARD.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:38 AM »
That's about what I feared.

I've got some job protections here right now (although I have a professional job, I am part of a union w/a contract), so I don't think they can actually fire me over this as long as my reviews are satisfactory.  But pretty frustrating.

I suppose there's always the chance to be honest if my boss asks why.  But "you" is not likely to go over well as an answer.

I would prepare a good (spin) answer in case the boss asks why. Prepare for the worst, expect for the best.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 04:07:22 AM »
Could be worse, I had a co-worker walk out of an interview at another employer, to find another coworker of ours in the waiting room, ready for the next interview. AWKWARD.

When my husband was going to an interview a few years ago, the reception in the building asked if he was Mr. X. My husband was not Mr. X, but knew this person very well. So he knew that his former colleague was applying for the same job.
So no, interview are in no way completely confidential. Leaks can happen.