Author Topic: Internet usage caps  (Read 2679 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Internet usage caps
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »
UP here in Canada our ISP is going to start charging for overusage on internet caps.  We're on a 150GB plan and mainly watch netflix nowadays and wife's business use is also high due to large email attachments.  So we will for sure need to pay for unlimited bandwidth which is sort of a reasonable $15 charge. 

Anyways, my question is whether other ISP's throughout Canada and the world are starting to charge for going over internet usage caps?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Internet usage caps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Data caps aren't a new problem, especially up in Canada. Easiest way to fight it with heavy Netflix use is to adjust your settings to not stream HD video as SD is plenty watchable and uses less than a quarter of the bandwidth. (I can assure you that no matter how big the email attachments, the majority of your data's likely being eaten by streaming video.) If you're still concerned about bandwidth, look into TekSavvy or some other local alternate ISP that sells connectivity through your local cable or phone company.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
I can't speak for Canada, but lots of ISPs in the US started this.   Ours is 250GB a month and we've never hit it.  I have a niece that does nothing but stream Netflix all day long -- and she's never hit it either.

I can also tell you the number of folks that hit it are really low.  It's intended to send away the 1% of users that uses 80% of the bandwidth.

I do, however, really dislike the concept.   It seems wrong to bill for something you may or may not have control over.  For example, a couple of days of denial of service attack WILL trigger the bill.  I suspect as this starts to happen, ISPs are going to have to rethink the policy.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »
TWC started showing the usage on the online dashboard in October of last year. So far no data cap but I'm already fearing the worst.

That being said, the highest so far has been Februray clocking in at 249 GB (all those snow days!), and usually it's between 50 and 100GB.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
Not much for charged excess, but definitely shaping over the limit. My current plan is 100GB a month with shaped excess (unmetered Netflix when it launches down under too).

Mobile plans are another story, they're virtually all charged excess data here.