Author Topic: Interim Position  (Read 1557 times)

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Interim Position
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
Hi All.  Back at the beginning of the year, my boss retired.  I work in a large organization and they didn't plan on replacing him right away because the person two levels up was also leaving.  In the meantime, we were just being managed by the person just above him.

Because this lead to some uncertainty, I hustled about a year of work in advance, so that I would have a bit of added security.  This went very well and I was made the acting manager of my group.  I've really enjoyed the role and have made sure that my group has a good amount of work.  I've asked our customer-base for feedback and they're very happy.  Feedback has been very good from my current boss as well.

My reason for this post is that I've been in this interim position for a couple of months and would like to do everything I can to ensure that I get the permanent position.  I have official feedback that says I've made my group more efficient and I know we're in good shape financially.  I've put some effort into getting our less efficient team members to pull an important project together, which is making them and the group look better.

When the permanent position becomes available, I can walk into the interview with all of this information in my hand and I know that it will work well, but I would appreciate any additional ideas on how I can ensure that I land this.

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
Re: Interim Position
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 03:25:38 PM »
I would let the decision maker know you are interested in the permanent position.

I'd also ask when they are planning to make a decision and if there is anything you can do now to help you apply when the time comes.

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »
I would let the decision maker know you are interested in the permanent position.

I'd also ask when they are planning to make a decision and if there is anything you can do now to help you apply when the time comes.

This is key.  Make sure they know you are interested in taking it on permanently and then ask what the timeline & process will be.  Depends on the company policies,  but it's possible they could just offer you the role directly.  I've done this in the past with employees when I've already seen their work performance and know they can do the job. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 06:18:01 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I will definitely make sure I've been clear with the decision makers that I am looking for the permanent role. 

This is a large public institution.  The role will have to be posted and will have a selection committee, but I have made it clear to some people I know will be involved that I am enjoying in the position.  They've said that I'm doing a fantastic job (and I have it in writing).  I think I can be more clear that I want the permanent role.

I think the timeline is the part that is making me anxious.  The post won't be listed until a higher up post has been filled.  Our organization moves really slowly (the higher level post was advertised in November).  I believe that time in the interim post works to my advantage, but I also don't like the uncertainty.

Thanks again!

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
As an update, I spoke with one of the people in my organization who will most likely be involved in determining how my current position gets filled (he's likely to get higher position I mentioned earlier).  I was direct in letting him know that I want this job permanently and he said that he agrees.  He referenced some of the changes that I've made as improvements.  At the very least, it lets me know that I have someone at an upper level in my court and he knows that I want this.

I appreciate the advice and just wanted it to be clear that I acted on it.  Thanks again!

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
You have received some great advice above.  Interim roles are tough - my advice is to completely absorb the role.  Don't treat it as a temporary or partial level of authority.  Own it, change it, improve it.  Don't let the interim title slow you down.  I will guarantee people are watching you and talking about your ownership of this role.  Assume you have it until someone tells you differently but don't let them take advantage of you once you have the job in terms of compensation/benefits. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »
You have received some great advice above.  Interim roles are tough - my advice is to completely absorb the role.  Don't treat it as a temporary or partial level of authority.  Own it, change it, improve it.  Don't let the interim title slow you down.  I will guarantee people are watching you and talking about your ownership of this role.  Assume you have it until someone tells you differently but don't let them take advantage of you once you have the job in terms of compensation/benefits.
Thank you!  I have been trying to do this and be very comprehensive about it.  I've written up a document with a number of ideas to allow our group to better serve our customers and organization and brought new services to our stakeholders' attention.  We're engaging with groups that we haven't before and making some of our expertise more clear and accessible.  I believe that the job is going to be revamped/restructured before they make a permanent selection, so I'm trying to define what that will look like. 

I've also drafted a document explaining our mission, staffing, development, new initiatives, and customer service positions.  I've already been implementing these and have data for the past few months showing improvements in our recoverables. 

The data (which is good) will be apparent to the people above me in the org, but I'll be pretty happy to be armed with it along with everything else.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!