Author Topic: Interested in AR  (Read 4653 times)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Interested in AR
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »
I recently posted about this on the Mustachian Marketplace, but I believe it makes more sense to post it here.

I'm blown away by the potential of using AR in many aspects of life, specifically, for Construction & Education applications.  Having a background in 3D modeling, Education and Construction, it just seems like such a good fit for a potential career path for me.

I don't know where to start though.  I've read that the most common programs being used for development of AR are Unity & Unreal.  I've read that Unity is easier, but Unreal has more potential uses.  I'm not sure how true this is, since I have yet to use either.

I'm planning to download the Unreal Engine and try to teach myself, but the pessimistic side of me worries that I'll be wasting my time unless I have some direction with what I'm doing.

Do any of my fellow Mustachians have experience working with Unreal or something similar?  Are there any VR/AR developers that could offer advice on how to get started?

I appreciate any advice!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Interested in AR
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
How about learn by yourself then start your own business?  Sounds like a great opportunity to get in on the ground level.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
How about learn by yourself then start your own business?  Sounds like a great opportunity to get in on the ground level.

I've thought about that as well, and I may pursue some sort of contract work if I don't get into the type of career I'm envisioning.

I've got some resources from a friend of a friend who works in VR, so I'm going to start my self-education tonight!

These are the links I'm starting with if anyone else is interested:

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

http://vrtoast.com/3-easy-ways-to-get-started-building-vr-experiences-in-unity/

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
I recently posted about this on the Mustachian Marketplace, but I believe it makes more sense to post it here.

I'm blown away by the potential of using AR in many aspects of life, specifically, for Construction & Education applications.  Having a background in 3D modeling, Education and Construction, it just seems like such a good fit for a potential career path for me.

I don't know where to start though.  I've read that the most common programs being used for development of AR are Unity & Unreal.  I've read that Unity is easier, but Unreal has more potential uses.  I'm not sure how true this is, since I have yet to use either.

I'm planning to download the Unreal Engine and try to teach myself, but the pessimistic side of me worries that I'll be wasting my time unless I have some direction with what I'm doing.

Do any of my fellow Mustachians have experience working with Unreal or something similar?  Are there any VR/AR developers that could offer advice on how to get started?

I appreciate any advice!
I would like to combine AR with AI for specific applications. There are so many possibilities with the combination. I have a background in EE and I can get access to VCs. I am in Chicago with a relatively weak high-tech venture scene. This was one of my post FIRE things I want to accomplish.

I need to find the right technology (University tech transfer is a good place to start), right people (don't know where to look) and funding (doesn't make sense to approach VC without the other two prerequisites)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:57:29 PM by chesebert »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
Chesebert,

I was watching a video the other day about a VR Game that is being built to accept voice commands.  It sounds like it might be a step in the direction you're considering.  The links I posted were actually given to me by an employee of this company.

I got interested in AR when thinking about Construction & Education applications.  After seeing this video, it made me wonder if I wanted to try to make games.  :)

Here is the video where one of the developers talks about the voice control a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZh7dkB_hs

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
Accounts Receivable?  What do you want to know?  It's my specialty.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
Aren't you the comedian :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »

No, seriously.  At no point in this thread was "AR" defined.  I have literaly no idea what AR stands for if not for Accounts Receivable.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
I thought the guy was interested in moving to Arkansas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 10:48:37 PM »
I'm interested in augmented reality and virtual reality (definitions for you Eric :p) and would like to try developing on the platforms if only because I've never done it before!
My hesitation would be the investment in the hardware, for a rapidly changing space, if I wasn't going to take it seriously.

How are you handling the hardware requirement?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
I'm interested in augmented reality and virtual reality (definitions for you Eric :p)

Ah ha!  Thanks buddy!  I'm not sure I would've come up with that.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »
I'm interested in augmented reality and virtual reality (definitions for you Eric :p) and would like to try developing on the platforms if only because I've never done it before!
My hesitation would be the investment in the hardware, for a rapidly changing space, if I wasn't going to take it seriously.

How are you handling the hardware requirement?

I'm going to learn Unity basic first.  From what I've read, transitioning from that to AR/VR isn't a huge jump.  This will allow me to learn the program without the huge hardware investment.  I'll also be on the lookout for cheap used hardware, but am in no rush to spend a huge amount of money right now.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »

No, seriously.  At no point in this thread was "AR" defined.  I have literaly no idea what AR stands for if not for Accounts Receivable.

I thought the guy was interested in moving to Arkansas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did miss this possibility.  I have been reading about AR (augmented reality) so much, it didn't cross my mind that there were other "AR"s.

So, yes I'm talking about Augmented, and Virtual Reality.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
I saw this fun video and was reminded of this thread: Super Mario Bros Recreated as Life Size Augmented Reality Game

My hesitation with augmented reality is will (for now?) be a niche application and is a bit of an example of a solution looking for a problem. The video above then reminds me how magical it really can be and cool, even if only as a technology demonstration.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Hey Canuck.

As you said, it's such a niche right now, the companies I spoke to aren't really in the position to hire newbies.  I thought to correct this through self-study, but as others pointed out in my journal, I was spreading myself too thin.

So, even though there are a thousand things I wish I could do, learning to develop AR is tabled for the time being.  It's on the shelf right next to writing a novel, and brewing my own beer.

Maybe some day they'll move up into a priority position and actually be addressed.  For now, I'm letting them go.