Author Topic: Intelauto/Ajusto - Insurance company monitors your driving for savings  (Read 6107 times)

jambongris

• Bristles
Does anyone have experience with Intelauto (ThePersonal insurance) or Ajusto (Desjardins insurance) or any other similar program? How much money did you actually end up saving?

For those unfamiliar with the programs, the car insurance company mails you a small device that plugs in to your car's ODB port and monitors your driving. It sends that data to the insurance companies who will in turn lower your premiums if you're a good driver.

The Intelauto page on the ThePersonal's website says that you can save up to 25% (key words up to.)

They also claim that the information will not be used to increase your premiums if it turns out you're a horrible driver.

A quick google search doesn't turn up much in the way of reviews. I think these are fairly new programs and you won't see any savings until your insurance renews and you've had the device in your car for at least 160 days; perhaps this is why there are so few reviews online.

tennisray

• Stubble
Re: Intelauto/Ajusto - Insurance company monitors your driving for savings
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
I did it with progressive. I think each company has their own variables they look at, but they should tell you what they are.  I only saved 9% on my auto.  I got a 3% discount after 30 days, then after 60 days, they told me to send it back.

For progressive, they monitor "hard" braking, driving between midnight and 5am, and total miles traveled. 

I think it's worth it, but I cursed everytime I heard a beep for a hard brake (stopping too fast).

Good luck.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »
I did it with progressive. I think each company has their own variables they look at, but they should tell you what they are.  I only saved 9% on my auto.  I got a 3% discount after 30 days, then after 60 days, they told me to send it back.

For progressive, they monitor "hard" braking, driving between midnight and 5am, and total miles traveled. 

I think it's worth it, but I cursed everytime I heard a beep for a hard brake (stopping too fast).

Good luck.

The IntelAuto page on ThePersonal's website breaks down the 25% as follows:

10% mileage
10% braking and acceleration
5% travel times

wwweb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »
While I haven't used one myself (no car), I've heard from several people who have and gotten mixed reviews.  People almost universally think they are better drivers than they actually are and get upset with the device.

Unless you're a quantitatively good driver, the device may be more trouble than it's worth.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
I'm just getting one of these from Allstate. Could be interesting as I've just started biking to work!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
I have one from Allstate and I've just had it long enough (30 days) to start getting ratings. Mine doesn't beep (that I noticed) during braking, so I have to wait until the web site updates. It cares about how many miles you drive, the time of day (increasingly higher risk as you get later in the day), how many hard/extreme braking events you have, and if you exceed 80 mph. While I've never exceeded 80, I have driven a lot lately. I moved about 90 miles from most of my family as well as a house I rent out, and I live about 30 miles from my girlfriend. I also tend to drive home late in the evening a lot. And perhaps most surprisingly, I have a lot of hard braking, usually when there's tons of traffic on the turnpike and people continue to jam on their brakes. Now that I've seen the rating, I'm going to see if I can really decrease my hard braking. My initial discount was 10% but right now it's estimating 0% discount, so obviously, if things don't improve, I'll be sending it back!

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
And perhaps most surprisingly, I have a lot of hard braking, usually when there's tons of traffic on the turnpike and people continue to jam on their brakes. Now that I've seen the rating, I'm going to see if I can really decrease my hard braking.

"People jam on their brakes" is a poor excuse. If you ever have to brake hard you are following too close, (or not paying attention) plain and simple. And by too close, I mean the distance most drivers keep between them and the car they are following.

I find actually obeying the speed limit ensures that I always have way more than adequate gap in front of me. (since no one else does) It's safer, and I find it extremely comfortable too.

I'd love to try one of these gizmo's.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:52:05 AM by FreeWheel »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
I didn't say it's an excuse. Following the speed limit does not help in these cases, as everyone is going about 40 mph less than the speed limit. I do make attempts to leave space in front of me, though leaving any more than "one car" in front of me often results in someone from another lane then coming into my lane to fill that space, which results in me having to jam on my brakes. (Now I'm saying it's an excuse ;))

But I'm not saying it's an excuse - basically my driving varies mostly based on how "stressed" I let myself feel. When I'm calm I react calmly and avoid hard braking. If I get tense and stressed, I hit my brakes hard.

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
Trying to prevent drivers from cutting into your lane is a sure fire way to ensure too small of a gap. I've long given up the idea that I'm not letting someone get in front of me.

What I have found is that leaving LOTS of space (and I mean lots) ensures that when drivers do move over, it is not a safety issue at all... often not even requiring me to brake. And I'm actually surprised at how many times drivers DON'T rush in to fill the gap.

I want to be clear that I am not trying to pick on anyone or the manner in which they drive. Just trying to offer up a mindset coupled with some techniques that I've found greatly lessened my hard braking/close call incidences. And best of all, makes driving less of a battle, saves gas and is more comfortable to boot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:37:33 PM by FreeWheel »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
I agree. I need the reminders. I've moved from a more low-key, low-traffic part of my state to a more intense part, and I'm adjusting to the traffic patterns and driving behavior. Commuting is stressful for me, and I kind of need to recite calm reassurances to myself. I feel really good when I drive calmly, without hurrying or fighting other drivers. It's best when I don't let the "race" mentality seep into my conscious.

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Trying to prevent drivers from cutting into your lane is a sure fire way to ensure too small of a gap. I've long given up the idea that I'm not letting someone get in front of me.

What I have found is that leaving LOTS of space (and I mean lots) ensures that when drivers do move over, it is not a safety issue at all... often not even requiring me to brake. And I'm actually surprised at how many times drivers DON'T rush in to fill the gap.

I want to be clear that I am not trying to pick on anyone or the manner in which they drive. Just trying to offer up a mindset coupled with some techniques that I've found greatly lessened my hard braking/close call incidences. And best of all, makes driving less of a battle, saves gas and is more comfortable to boot.

What about when people cut in too close in front of you when you leave a decent gap in front (and don't signal)?  Or people who don't stop at stop signs or red lights?
/maybe the drivers in my area just suck...

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
What about when people cut in too close in front of you when you leave a decent gap in front (and don't signal)?  Or people who don't stop at stop signs or red lights?
/maybe the drivers in my area just suck...

I assume your car has a horn and you have at least one middle finger? lol, just kidding.

While someone certainly can cut in front of you too close at any time, in practice it's way more common when there is less room for them. Then if they want in, they have to do the tight (and usually quick)  squeeze, and you have to brake. This is very frustrating, and can even lead to road rage!

Better to refuse to join the race, and relax. It's actually quite fun coasting up to stop lights (and often not having to stop!) where the 'normal' drivers are now sitting at a dead stop, waiting. Or driving past someone who is waiting in a turn lane, exactly were they would have been if they slowed down and gotten there a few seconds later!

Here's what I see everyday I drive on the arterials on my work commute. Drivers following each other in tight packs, one car length apart, brake lights flashing every few seconds. They're increasing risk of a crash, using more fuel, burning up brake pads, and increasing stress. Often times they're not even saving much if any time. It's ridiculous!

Be safe everyone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!