Author Topic: Integrated LED update - need help from the DIYers to hack the fixture  (Read 1255 times)

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
Good morning!

When we bought our house, there were light fixtures installed outside that had integrated LED lights.  One of them has failed and I don’t want to have to buy a whole new fixture.  Does anyone know how to remove the led lights and install a screw in style bulb holder so I can just change the bulb? 

I don’t know enough about the new integrated led style lighting to know if this is a stupid question.  It would seem that I should be able to disconnect the wires from the led lights, attach a screw in bulb holder, and just reattach the wires.  It’s a large porch light, so there is plenty of room under the glass to accommodate a bulb holder thing and a bulb or two.

Thoughts?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Integrated LED update - need help from the DIYers to hack the fixture
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
This is why I don't like integrated LED fixtures.

You're going to have to open it up and look inside. Some integrated LED arrays (but not many) can be replaced. Most are soldered to the circuit board and the LED drivers and heat sinks match the LED array. You could possibly just snip the entire board out and wire in a standard bulb holder.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Integrated LED update - need help from the DIYers to hack the fixture
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:51:42 PM »
@bacchi - thanks for the info!  When it was opened, the led lights and driver were really obvious.  Those will all be cut out and I’ve ordered a weatherproof buld holder from amazon.  I should be able to connect it to the wiring and mount it to the inside of the fixture then screw in a regular outdoor led bulb!  We have 4 total of these and I expect they will all fail over the next 2-3 years due to their age and use.  Knowing what to take out and how to add things in will save us a bundle!  Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!