Author Topic: Insurance question for a multi car/motorcycle accident.  (Read 1459 times)

CoffeeR

• Bristles
Insurance question for a multi car/motorcycle accident.
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
So, my son rides a motorcycle (at times). He was stopped at a light and a car stopped behind him. A third car hit the car behind him which pushed the car in front into my son's motorcycle. My son went down. For now, he appears to be (mostly) fine, though he has a hip injury that was significantly aggravated by this incident. The bike sustained damage and his smart phone in his pocket hit the gas tank during the accident and sustained significant damaged (no longer works and is not repairable). The smartphone is one indication of the force with which he went down because even though it was in a protective case it received significant damage to the back of the phone---like someone took a hammer to it).

Police and fire were at the scene. Even though my son's motorcycle is damaged, but it was still ride-able so he rode it back home. I have the insurance information on both cars involved in the accident. The insurance on the bike is liability/UM/UIM only since the bike is not worth fully insuring. I do not know if the police wrote any citations on this accident (though they should have).

So, I am not 100% sure how to proceed. With which insurance company to a file a claim? Normally (if I was fully insured) I might file a claim with my insurance company and let them battle it out with the other insurance companies, but since I do not full coverage on the bike I am not sure I can. I am not sure which of the two insurance companies to contact. Both?

Any advice? I am trying to not make an obvious mistake as I proceed.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Insurance question for a multi car/motorcycle accident.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
When I was in a multi-car accident (I was stopped, car hit the car behind me, which hit me).  I filed with my own company and they handled it. (It was very easy to get them to pay vehicular damage.)

When we had to go to a lawyer for medical (broke a bone in my neck, which they disputed??? since my car wasn't heavily damaged), my insurance company let him know which company to fight (the car that started the accident, not the one who hit me, in my case.)

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
Re: Insurance question for a multi car/motorcycle accident.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
It would be the 3rd car. Contact the police that came out immediately and ask for the accident report, if there is one. I had a coworker's daughter in a similar accident as the middle car. The third car's owner just disappeared, insurance was being uncooperative. Coworker ended up paying for the damages himself for the daughter's car.