Author Topic: Insurance Question  (Read 2576 times)

Jill the Pill

Insurance Question
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
We had a major supporting rafter in our attic split during the last blizzard.

The insurance company has already given us a check for $10,000 to rip off the roof, re-build the whole gable, and replace some cracked ceilings.

We have a carpenter (whom we trust) who says it's perfectly responsible just to replace the beam and do a little surrounding work for $3,000. 

Is that it?  Do we just keep the $7,000 then?  Is that legal??  We'd love to use it to replace rotten siding and do some painting.  Any thoughts?

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
Re: Insurance Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
I'd check with an agent.  When we had to have the roof replaced last year (shingle blew off, discovered giant leak on Christmas Day!) We had to submit the final bills before they gave us the last installment of the money and any difference from what was approved would have been subtracted from the final payment.  Although, if you already have cash in hand, I'm not sure how that would work.

How old is the roof?  Any reason not to replace it all while you can?  Siding and painting seems a lot more DIY plausible than future re-roofing.

Jill the Pill

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
How old is the roof?  Any reason not to replace it all while you can?  Siding and painting seems a lot more DIY plausible than future re-roofing.
Eeeyeah . . . I can paint -- and will -- but would not be confident doing siding.  Also, we have some crumbling cement steps I'd like to have repaired, and we need new attic insulation.  I'd be against dumping the windfall into replacing the roof: the roofing job would probably cost $15,000 (tear off 2 layers).  It's getting older but still not ancient.  We'd be digging into our own savings before we quite have to.  Who knows.  Maybe we will move. 

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »
Sure it's legal, it is the cost for the full repair, which is what the insurance is responsible for covering.  If you don't do the full repair then you are living with a house that isn't the same as the way it was.  It's like getting $5,000 for hail damage for your car and only having the worst of the dents taken out for $2000. Others might not see the small little dents, but they are there. As long as you are sure the structural issues are taken care of and it won't cost you more down the road, I'd say your plan sounds good to me.