Author Topic: Insurance or Out-of-Pocket for Replacing Car Trunk?  (Read 4344 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Insurance or Out-of-Pocket for Replacing Car Trunk?
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
In short I hate driving and backed into a tilted palm tree a while back. We're changing car insurance carriers in March and DH wants to know if I should use my current insurance or pay out of pocket? I have yet to get an estimate but I'm guessing it will be around $1k+ since I will probably need to replace my entire trunk. I honestly don't care but he says I should since my 2012 Hyundai Sonata is relatively new. I believe the current deductible is either $500 or $250. The new one in March will be higher. Like I said I don't care and have this feeling that the new insurance company will know and raise my insurance if file it under the old one, and that's if they don't when they take a picture of my lovely dented car when we start with the new carrier. I swear insurance is only okay when you NEVER use them... but then what's the point.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
Re: Insurance or Out-of-Pocket for Replacing Car Trunk?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »
This is the eternal dilema. You may get $1000 to fixi t, but will pay 800-2000 in higher rates. And sadly it is hard to predict the rate change, so you really don't know.

In the past I have done: Car < 5 years old fix it via insurance. Car > 5 years old, screw it I am driving a dented car. Thought about cash plan a few times, but never bothered for cosmetic stuff on clunkers.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »
This is the eternal dilema. You may get $1000 to fixi t, but will pay 800-2000 in higher rates. And sadly it is hard to predict the rate change, so you really don't know.

In the past I have done: Car < 5 years old fix it via insurance. Car > 5 years old, screw it I am driving a dented car. Thought about cash plan a few times, but never bothered for cosmetic stuff on clunkers.

Do you think the new insurance will penalize me when they take the photo of my less than perfect car?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
You need to go ahead and get the estimate... it may be much more than you think.  In which case you will probably want to use the insurance. 

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »
Yeah, go and get it fixed.

If you're happy driving around a dinted car, then get that one fixed, sell it, and buy an older one that comes pre-dinted for free :)

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
When you get the estimate, just ask what it will take to get it fixed with (non factory parts) if you pay for it- say your deductible is too high and you may just want to drive it that way.  This may give you your truest estimate of what you are looking at.  Know that the cost they will estimate to you will be higher than what they present to your insurance company because they will have negotiated discounts.

Also, count the pieces of car they will have to touch to bring it back up to spec.  Anything skewed, dinged or out of alliance will crank up the charges.  Then decide it you want to get it fixed by insurance, by yourself or live with it.   Actually I have never had an insurance agent look at my car when purchasing insurance... but they are experts in determining if older damage is trying to be fixed after the fact.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »
Idk it's Esurance and they want a pic within 30 days of insurance starting with them... that's what DH said.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Your deductible is $250 under your current insurance.  I also wonder whether your parents policy will go up if you get the trunk repaired since you are on their policy.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »
Your deductible is $250 under your current insurance.  I also wonder whether your parents policy will go up if you get the trunk repaired since you are on their policy.

I believe it will. Those companies nickel and dime everything. Other times they just increase rates to make more profit and/or make up for other payouts. Shoot, what about MY payout... Catch 22...

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
$1,050 was the estimate. Need a new trunk. Joy. Idc except I don't like the idea of ESurance wanting a pic, but pretty sure insurance will go up if I file under my existing policy with my parents. I hate driving in SoFla. 😒

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:09 AM »
If the body isn't bent check junkyards. Probably get a nice trunk lid for $100-$200. If you're not going to use insurance then change the policy to liability only and save some money. Knowing nobody else will pay for your mistakes is a good incentive to be more attentive and careful. If someone else causes you damage you can file the claim with their                                                                        insurance and sue the insurance or individual if need be.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:51:46 AM »
Here you go:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Trunk-Lid-For-Hyundai-Sonata-2011-2013-HY1800103-692003Q000-/231064312897?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012|Make%3AHyundai|Model%3ASonata&hash=item35cc819c41&vxp=mtr

It was the first thing that popped up. $265 and free shipping.
Shop around and you may get one cheaper. If you shop salvage yards you may find one with the same paint code as well...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:13 AM »
I've never had an insurance company take a picture of my car for a new policy. The only time I've had to submit pictures is for a collector's policy with a stated value instead of book/ACV.  What companies are doing that? I'm kinda curious now.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
I've had to get my car inspected for insurance purposes when I got insurance after not having insurance (because I didn't have a car for a while), which consisted of getting photos taken of my car. It makes sense to me: insurance is only going to pay for stuff that happens after you get insurance.

The new insurance company isn't "penalizing" you - car insurance just doesn't cover pre-existing problems with the car, otherwise you could buy a car that just had a tree fall on it, insure it on a no-deductible policy, and then get insurance to pay for it.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
I've never had an insurance company take a picture of my car for a new policy. The only time I've had to submit pictures is for a collector's policy with a stated value instead of book/ACV.  What companies are doing that? I'm kinda curious now.

It's esurance, but the rep said its a south florida thing.  Lots of insurance fraud going on in these parts.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
Precisely why I don't carry collision even on our new to us 2012 car.

Well, that and I can do bodywork and paint!..:)

Certainly if its only the trunk lid bent, either straighten, fill, paint (rattle can is OK for small areas) .. Or see if you can find one in the junk with the right colour and replace yourself with a helper so you don't scratch the paint while fitting.

Frank

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

It's esurance, but the rep said its a south florida thing.  Lots of insurance fraud going on in these parts.

Let's not forget that FL is a no fault state... Today at a red light an idiot's car was slowly backing into mine as I repeatedly honked... Jackass almost hit me. I HATE DRIVING HERE!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!